March 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Intangibles

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight. This week it's... Intangibles!

Some products can't be bought--and some experiences sh/could be that would be greatly helpful to a PG person/new mom. I've been weirdly looking forward to this one. Here are some helpful prompts to get us started!

ALL
  • Products aren't everything! What sort of services or help or non-buyable actions are on your wishlist for this pregnancy/post-partum time?
  • Are there any intangible things that people have offered you thus far or what you have indulged in/purchased already that you'd recommend?
STM/+s
  • What sort of services or help or non-buyable actions were most helpful to you for previous pregnancies/PP?
  • Were there any that you wished you had been able to receive but didn't?
FTMs
  • What sort of services or help or non-buyable actions have been offered or purchased for you for your pregnancy/PP, if any?
  • What are any that you are thinking of indulging in or registering for or purchasing?
To view the upcoming PSS schedule, based off of S19's, see here: March 2020 PSS Spreadsheet!
Up next week: Baby Containers! 

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Intangibles

• Loading the player...
  • Much great advice! I will echo much of what @varimama and @momoftoddlers said!

-Boundaries are good! Also if you do plan to have people visit and help with baby (grandparents) make sure they get flu and TDaP shots!

-My in-laws paid for a cleaning service to clean our house while we were at the hospital! It was sooo nice to come home to a tidy and fresh-smelling house.

-I made a few freezer meals and my parents and ILs brought dinners over for us quite a bit the first month. That was really nice! Also grocery delivery is very convenient for us.

-I also made “padcicles” before giving birth and these were awesome! I used a couple a day for several days after birth. Look these up!! Easy and soothing.

-I took a breastfeeding class and found a great IBCLC and a local breastfeeding group. That was awesome support! I was able to text my LC questions and also go to the group meetings for weighted feedings, discussion, and general support. Plus a safe space to practice “public” breastfeeding (around other moms who we’re doing the same!). I really valued this.

-I wish I had let my mom or others help more just to hold the baby for an hour while I napped or showered. Especially after the first two weeks or so. I was afraid of not meeting baby’s needs by missing a feeding or something, but she would have been fine for an hour or two! 

-Involve your partner as much as possible. My H was very active with DD but it’s hard when you’re breastfeeding and your partner can’t feed (DD never took bottles). But he would spend lots of time holding and soothing her, dressing her, and changed basically all diapers when he was home, including in the middle of the night. Since I was handling all the feeding, this was necessary to keep my sanity and also helped him be very involved.
  • @treetop19 yes, I loved my time in the hospital! So many moms want to rush going home and I don’t get why. Having nurses to call on for help if I needed it was great, and ordering whatever food I wanted! The bed was pretty comfy for me and there weren’t many chairs for anyone else to linger too long. 😂