March 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Travel Accessories

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight. Answer the questions below or just riff on your thoughts/experiences of the product. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! Links are always helpful! This week it's... Travel Accessories !

S(+)TMs: What are your must-have items and accessories for traveling with baby (whether it’s by car, plane, train, two-person rowboat, or spaceship)? Any particular brands hold up better than others? Any questions?

FTMs: What travel items are you considering getting/putting on your registry? Any questions?

To view the upcoming PSS schedule, based off of S19's, see here: March 2020 PSS Spreadsheet!
Up next week: Teething Accessories !

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Travel Accessories

• You honestly don’t need much for travel with a little baby. When baby is bigger (1+) snacks are key. 

We went on a trip when DD was 5 months and it was way easier than I anticipated! I wore her through the airport, we ended up renting a stroller and a PNP in the city we were visiting so we didn’t have to bring ours on the plane, and I just nursed her whenever/wherever. The only hard part was that between the 2 hour time change and her already tenuous sleep schedule, she was fussy and ready for bed at 5:00pm.

We are planning to do a similar trip next summer because it was so easy with a baby. I predict my four year old will be much more difficult. 

I guess I don’t really have any product recs. I’ll just say if you’re thinking of traveling but are scared to, go for it! It’s totally doable.

• -Disposable Changing Pads (buy in bulk). Whether for travel or local errands I could never get on board with putting the reusable changing pad down in a public restroom and then putting it back in my bag 
    -Diaper Trash Bags. Always kept rolls of these in my diaper bag, good for packing up stinky diapers but also for any soiled outfits 
    - Disposable Placemats for restaurants
    - Lidded Snack Cups
    - Pacifier Clip on Strap and a lot of extra pacifiers

If staying in a hotel:
    - Steam Sterilizer Bags for bottles/pump parts in microwave (If no kitchen, ask for a room with a wet bar so you at least have a sink, counter, microwave).
    - Your own sheet for the hotel-provided Pack and Play because they never have the right sheet 

Air Travel: 
    - You can gate check car seat and stroller for free but buy the heavy duty storage bags so they don’t get beat up 
    - You can also get a car seat from the car rental companies and I’ve had good experience with this  

• Loading the player...
  • I need this as I have found out we will be doing Disney with THE WHOLE FAMILY when she is like, 8 mo old. Maybe I just need a fellow disney mom who has done disney with a 7-9mo old to give me the run down. I'm also sure there are blogs. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

•  Late to the thread but I’ll actually need some direction as the pack and plays are not sleep certified in Canada. Only one that is is the new Halo Dreamnest so I registered for one. Anyone have experience with it? It’s fairly new. Or would a smaller, more portable travel crib be worth it? I’m trying to register for products that are multi-purpose as much as possible. We will be going to visit in-laws in another city fairly frequently so any advice would be great :)
  • @dunder_mifflin If you’ll be visiting frequently, I would just have your in laws purchase, or purchase for them, whatever bassinet or mini crib you plan to use and leave it at their house vs trying to travel with it. The convenience will outweigh the cost. 
  • @chichiphin omg that is the most PERFECT age to take to Disney!! At least in my opinion. They stay sitting in a stroller, can nap in the stroller, still nurse a lot, won’t complain to walk... lol. Seriously babies are so easy before they’re mobile. Plus you can still take baby on a handful of rides, which is really cool. And if you’re going with the whole fam, they can walk her around while you and YH get to ride some of the bigger rides!! I’m jealous. I’m hoping we plan a Disney trip for this fall/winter also. It’s my favorite. 
  • @momoftoddlers not a bad suggestion at all, my parents are going to have a crib in their house for baby. My in-laws are - well let’s just call them different lol. So it may or may not work