June 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Car Seats

I hope you don’t mind me kicking this one off @runwmusic! Pregnancy insomnia is so lovely. 

Taken from May:

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Car Seats!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For S+TMs: 

• Vehicle factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite car seat:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Are you considering a specific car seat that goes with a travel system? Why?:
  • Is there a car seat you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts?:

For FTMs

• Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice:
  • Car seats you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight: Car Seats

• Options
    Ooo another one I have questions about... Hubby has an extended cab truck so slightly less room in the backseat than my Jeep and a normal car.  It does have suicide doors that fold all the way back to the bed and it's a 2012 so there is slightly more room than the older trucks.  I am thinking his truck may wind up with one of the 3 in 1 seats and my car (which would be the most often used) will have the carrier/base version.  Also, are there recommendations for whether to set it in the center vs one side or the other? 
    Me 29 DH 33
    Married 10/2016
    TTC since 04/2019
    BFP 10/12/2019, estimated 6 weeks
    EDD 06/07/2020
  • Options
    @horsesmeetbaby when you are using the infant seat, it’s really easy to just have bases for everyone’s car, and then you can click the seat in to whichever car you need. We have the Chicco key fit with a base for my car, DH’s and my moms. Then the convertible seat, you’ll need one seat for every car. 

It might depend on the car but I’m pretty sure that the recommendation is behind the passenger side. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @horsesmeetbaby The recommendation we got from our PD (they do our carseat safety check) was center seat when possible, behind the  passenger second, and lastly behind the driver. 

Seconding @chaos-and-coffee about the multiple bases. We have a base for each of our cars and it's really helpful. Also if you can click your baby bucket into the stroller and just keep rolling, life is especially good.

We moved to our Graco 4-in-1 seats when DS was around 6 months old. Our move was motivated by two things: a) he was getting heavy and b) he was finally big enough for the normal stroller seat. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We don't do infant bucket seats, but @horsesmeetbaby they are probably your best chance in the truck. If you have bucket seats or at least a down center seat up front in truck, putting infant seat in middle will give you best chance of being able to fit seat in while preserving leg room up front.

Many convertible seats are really big front to back and that can create front seat leg room issues. Our Chevy Cruze for instance, even with infant seat lost most of the leg room for whichever seat in front of it. Putting baby seat in the middle helped as it gave an extra inch or two. I had to get a new car when we had our second, as our first was still rear facing, and with rear facing seats behind both adult seats, both of us had our knees literally touching dashboard. 

That being said, I find infant bucket seats super awkward to carry, especially while trying to wrangle other kids and a diaper bag (backpack). So we don't bother with them except as backup seats. My husband is now driving our Cruze, but we try to not have more than 1 kid in it at a time, so he can fit.

It's recommended to have kids rear face past age 2, for as long as they're under height and weight capacity for rear facing. Our 3.5 year old is still rear facing. Their spinal bones finish fusing around age 4. We're planning on turning him at 4 when baby is due, as I don't want 3 kids rear facing-for ease in loading and getting around them. 

We have a Britax Marathon G4 for middle child, a Graco SlimFit for oldest, and will be getting the new Britax One4Life for baby, our only real purchase-I love that I shouldn't ever have to get squid a new seat.

I don't think there's one "right" seat necessarily, but important features to me once you're looking for convertible seats are: no re-thread harness-so you can move straps to new height with a button, machine washable covers, lower anchors that are button release instead of a nail-breaking clip, and a cup holder.

And check whether the seat fits front to back in your car, while rear-facing, with sufficient leg room for everyone. I love both Britax and Graco seats, Graco runs typically a little cheaper but Britax generally has a sturdier feel and parts move smoother.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm trying to fit three car seats in our Jeep Cherokee. Any suggestions on slim seats?
  • Options
    @horsesmeetbaby middle is safest, then they say passenger only if the car seat causes the driver to not be able to sit properly. My forester has a massive backseat and I can fit the car seat behind me without changing my driving position. If you were going to get in an accident instincts kick in so that you protect yourself. I choose to have ds behind me for this reason. And not having to walk around the car after to get him in and out is great.

When ds was little we had him in the seat and base for convenience. We have the Graco snug ride snug lock and LOVED it. The bar adjust with one button in the middle rather than needing two hands to put the bar up and down. It's light weight (they are all too heavy) and we had no complaints. Once ds was bigger and we were over sneaking him into places trying to keep him sleeping after a car ride we moved him to a convertible seat. He was just too heavy to car in the carrier anymore. 
  • Options
    @kimber308 if you join the fb group car seats for the littles and post what you are looking for, you’ll get a ton of suggestions. 

Also, I highly recommend having a certified car seat tech check your seat once you have it installed to make sure you have it in right. Ours found a couple small issues but safety wise they made a big difference. You can call your local fire department if you don’t know where to find one near you. 
  • Options
    @chaos-and-coffee thanks so much! I've heard of that group before. I bet they'd be really helpful. 

I appreciate the information!
  • Options
    I was excited for these product threads but they're super intimidating. I don't even know where to start with all the choices and options and information :(
  • Options
    I was excited for these product threads but they're super intimidating. I don't even know where to start with all the choices and options and information :(
    Before my first, I spent SO MUCH TIME on Lucie's List (review web site), and going to in person baby stores to touch, play with, try out all the things. Also grabbed car seat and they let me install (demo model) it in car real quick. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @SpartanCat it can be so overwhelming! One thing that helped me was texting a few friends who had recently had kids or even taking them to target or buy buy baby with you. They can show you some things that you do (and don’t) need. Ultimately every baby is different but it’ll help. 

For car seats specifically, if you are feeling overwhelmed, I would look up if there’s a certified car seat tech near you. Ours is awesome. If you tell her your budget, what car you have and what you are looking for, she will give you 2-3 options. Super helpful! 
  • Options
    @spartanca I agree with @chaos-and-coffee that having someone who recently had kids come with to a store to make your registry is a HUGE help. I was so overwhelmed and my sil really told me what was crap and what you really need (and how many!). 
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I have a friend who had her second recently and she's been chatting with me and giving me info. She's just so excited she tells me All The Things and it doesn't help lol. I will definitely look into some of these ideas.
  • Options
    @kimber308 graco slim fit for a young toddler, it’s the narrow rear/forward facing car seat I could find and the graco ways or transitions for a forward facing 3 point booster. My 4 year old rides in that. It’s extremely narrow as well. It’s cheaper than the diono which I think is maybe 1/2 inch narrower. 
  • Options
    Vehicles: Honda Civic, Subaru Outback

We have an: Uppababy Mesa

Cost: $299 for regular fabric $349 for the two wool, flame retardant-free options. It’s hard if not impossible to get a direct sale. You’re best to look at things like finding a place where you won’t pay sales tax or something. 

Likes: We got it because it was one of if not the only flame retardant free infant seat available then. Nuna is now an option, too. Base installs super quickly and easily which was handy for travel. It also has little pockets to tuck the clips in to keep the straps out of the way when putting baby in/pulling baby out. Makes life so much easier. It’s good for babies as small as 4lbs. Some of the others would have left us scrambling to get a seat when DS was 5.5lbs. DS seemed plenty comfortable in it. I was completely happy with it. 

Travel System: There may be more options now but then there weren’t a lot of conversion options so we ended up going with the Vista because it works for multiple kids. 

Non-infant sears: I got the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 on sale while pregnant. I hate it. I think it looks uncomfortable for him, the buckle is super hard for me to release (it’s likely a no-go for our parents), the strap covers are huge & make it nearly impossible to get it tight enough & put the chest clip in the right place. We have a Nuna Rava now that I’m happy with. No flame retardants, comfy for him, multiple recline positions, adjusts easily, again, place to put the clips to hold straps out of the way.

General: All car seats on the market meet safety standards as long as they’re installed correctly. Beyond that, some may have more safety features but they’re above & beyond. That said, I would skimp other places to have a car seat that is easy to use correctly because that’s the biggest safety thing, and is pleasant to use. In and out and in and out and cleans easily. On a normal work day, I put DS in & take him out of the car at least twice. I want a seat that is easy to use. Personally, I loved the infant seat and kept DS in it until he got too tall for it. It was easy to pop into the stroller to run a quick errand without unbuckling and rebuckling later, it was nice to keep him warm in transitions, I liked being able to buckle him indoors because it was nicer for both of us (we’re not even in a very cold area) and, especially when they’re tiny, it’s nice to just keep them draped with a blanket & reduce people spreading germs to them one way or another. Also, like I mentioned in the stroller thread, a number of strollers aren’t approved until 6 mo. Unless the one you want has a bassinet or some other option, this might be what gets you to that 6 mo. Consider your climate and your preferences.

And, don’t buy any accessories that aren’t sold by your seat’s manufacturer. Not the head positioners, not the strap covers, not the toys that can attach, not the car seat protectors from another brand, none of it. If they weren’t tested with your seat, they’re not known to be safe. 

As as far as position in your car, check your car’s manual as some will tell you you cannot put them in a center seat.

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    resurrecting this post because i'm trying to do my registry and I have no idea how to decide.
    • Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice: i'm not sure what to include here, infant seat would be helpful so the grand parents could get bases but i can see the benefit of two convertibles off the bat. we have a grand prix and a chevy cruz
    • Car seats you're interested in: I've been looking at the Graco because that's the only recommendation I've really gotten but i really have no preference
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Probably $200 or less
    • Any questions for S+TMs? how do you decide between all the models? I tried getting recommendations and information from the car seats for littles group and got very few responses. The only suggestion I got was the Graco SnugRide because it's lighter weight which sounds nice. But there's at least four different options for models at Target and probably more on Amazon. The reviews list a bunch of stuff about locking and anchors and I have no idea what would be helpful or not. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    @SpartanCat with two smaller cars you might want to actually try a few and see what fits. We have the Chicco Keyfit and it works great. I like the infant seats in the beginning because they’re easy. DS always fell asleep and much easier to carry the bucket seat in and get him out then trying to get him out of the car. Go to the store and see how they buckle, some of them will instantly annoy you and some are easier than others. Safety wise they will all have passed that check so it really comes down to preference and size. 
  • Options
    @spartanca I went gracco snug ride snuglock dlx. I really like that the handle had one button so you can move it single handed rather than needing both hands to move the bar up and down. It's light, easy to install.

Anchors are way easier to install (and personally make me feel safer) than a seat belt. 

1000000% get an infant seat if you can. Yes, around 6 months it gets too heavy and you'll end up switching to a convertible. Not having to wake a sleeping baby up everytime you are in and out of the car is so so so worth the short life of you ask me. Also if you need to switch cars, having the option for an extra base is super nice. 

Like chaos and coffee said, they all meet standard regulations for safety. It's just personal preference.

Also I skipped on a travel system because I wanted a stroller with large wheels for unpaved paths etc. Depending on your stroller preferences (or lack thereof) you can save a lot of money getting the two together. One of my friends got the baby trend system (link in spoiler) for basically the price I paid for just the stroller. I was so hung up on wanting the one button bar that I ended up paying an extra couple hundred bucks. 🤦‍♀️

Baby Trend Expedition LX Travel System, Millennium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y53YR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qBUjEbPTX5YWP
  • Options
    SpartanCatSpartanCat member
    edited January 2020
    @chaos-and-coffee will any store let you try them? Or just like buy buy baby type stores? The nearest one of those is about 45 min away :(

@runwmusic I thought about the travel system too but the car seat is an absolute necessity and I'm afraid if I register for the full travel system it'll be too expensive and we'll be stuck buying it ourselves. It's a weird concern, I know

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. This registry is stressing me out
  • Options
    @SpartanCat I would recommend adding gift cards to your registry (if you’re comfortable doing that). Most stores offer the option and it’s just a gentle reminder for friends and family that gift cards are helpful too as they can be used on necessities such as diapers and wipes or applied to bigger purchases that weren’t gifted to you. I was surprised at how many of my shower guests gave me gift cards and it was incredibly helpful as I finished buying items off my registry. 
  • Options
    @SpartanCat try target! I don’t have a BBB near me at all. Just play with the buckles and handles and see how easy/difficult it is to snap in and out. Or ask anyone you know who have had kids within the last few years! That’s how we landed on Chicco Keyfit. I got the travel system and love it, used it constantly even with DS being a November baby. Would 1000% recommend. The registry is super overwhelming. I sent out a group text to 3 friends who have little kids and begged for help. They each sent me a list of what they used most and least and it was incredibly helpful. Also, in my last BMB I remember we had a general registry thread, we can do that if there’s interest too. 
  • Options
    @SpartanCat our old Babies R Us (RIP) would have an associate walk a floor model out to your car so you could test it for fit. You could call the BBB or whatever is nearest you and see if they'd do the same, before driving all the way out there. 

Another vote for the Chicco keyfit here. We've got the keyfit30 from DS1 that well be reusing. A second base is really helpful for moving between cars and this model is so common that we were able to pick up a very lightly used base for free from friends we trust. There's an adapter for our stroller too, so we could make it own travel system deal work. 

Some registries allow for group gifting so your friends and family can go in on bigger gifts together. I think Amazon and Target both do this. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @SpartanCat Heads up-we have a Chevy Cruze and front to back while rear facing was a huge issue for front leg room. 

The infant seat being behind my husband it was millimeters of space between his knees and dash board. Once we switched to a convertible seat, my husband couldn't sit in front of baby at all, I could barely do it, and I'm 5'4", he's 5' 10".  And we rear face past 2 years old in our house. The Grand Prix our friend has was much better, though not great. We had to get a new car when we had number 2 so that we could drive more than 15 minutes due to leg room difficulties. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pourmeanothermocktail ugh that's a big concern with his car. I'm 5'10" and he's 5'11" so riding in his car is going to be unpleasant. We just had yet another big repair on my grand prix so we're looking at our options for car shopping. I like full size sedans but they don't really make them any more. The best I can do is a used Impala or we'll have to go smaller which I'm trying really hard to avoid.
  • Options
    @pourmeanothermocktail We plan to rear-face as long as possible, too.  Soon we're going to spend a weekend seeing if we can find a possible config in the 2010 Corolla that allows 2 car seats and a driver, or if we're looking at the new baby = new car thing too. :( DS may have to forward face in the Corolla (day care pickup and 3mi ride home only) for us to fit two kids. He'll be >2.5 when DS2 arrives and almost 3 by the time daycare pickups are involved. This is only workable if he hits the weight/height milestones needed.  :# 

I had forgotten about this until you ladies reminded me. I've assumed that the Outback wouldn't be a problem, but we should test rear facing behind DH's driver seat position too. :# 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @SpartanCat and @kyrwyn I refused to turn my son around at 27 months, so we sold our smallest car (2 seater convertible, lol, super impractical, but mine from before kids that my husband used to commute after our first was born), gave my husband our 2014 Cruze that I'd been driving since my son was born, and got me a used Traverse. We'll have no problem fitting 3 kids in it, could do three rear facing if we wanted-as my son is 3.5 now and isn't at height or weight limit yet, but I think we'll turn him just before baby. I think, I'm not 100% sure, but he'll be within a week of his fourth birthday. 

What I've learned having to borrow cars or have relatives transport them for me-Camry has LOADS more space front to back than the Cruze, rear facing no issue. The Maxi-Cosi seats are known to fit front to back smaller than most convertibles, but they also have lower height limits for older kids, and are expensive. 

Hyundai vehicles in general have leg room issues with rear facing, even the Tuscon. The Malibu wasn't bad, Impala was stretching it. Outback I think was fine, but the Mazda CX9 was close to not fitting, the Jeep Grand Cherokee was awful, good only for super short people. The Mini Countryman (their four door model) surprisingly no problem, the rear seat is on sliders, so rock it back and then the front seats don't have to move forward. Equinox not bad at all. Tahoe is fine, but it's legit not more space than the Traverse with a much heftier price tag. 

Sorry to Ford and Honda users-I haven't tested any of theirs.

In short-Chevy SUVs are good, cars are hard, the Sonic was a nope even for the Cosco tiny convertible. Hyundai bad. Dodge/Jeep in general bad. Subaru generally good, I've heard (but no experience!) that Volkswagen is good, and Toyota generally decent, though some seats in the Corolla might be hard.

Either way I've had more issues with front to back sizing than three across. .
    The Diono Radion seats have an angle adjuster you can use with older kids to rear face with less space taken up front to back, but they're super pricey too. 

Graco and Britax both are my preferred brands for car seats due to price and quality, but they're not short front to back-to support bigger taller kids facing to the back. 

Good luck with multiple kids and small cars! 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have a Honda car-v and have no issues fitting both seats! 
  • Options
    I hate riding in my husband's jeep because of the lack that of room with rear facing. My Subaru is amazing. I'm 5'6" and even my 6'4" husband can have a rear facing convertible seat behind him and drive. So. Much. Room. I am team forester for good
  • Options
    @SpartanCat, I’ll add one more vote for the Chicco Keyfit 30. It’s very popular for a reason, the safety ratings and consumer reports rankings were great, and just about every stroller out there had adapters that would let you turn it into a travel system. 

Like @pourmeanothermocktail I spent a TON of time before baby #1 researching every purchase to the nth degree on Lucie’s List. I highly recommend that site because she really goes into detail about the pros and cons of each item in a category she’s reviewing. 

@chaos-and-coffee, we are CR-V people too, high five! Definitely no issues with carseat space. :)
  • Options
    We have a Chicco Keyfit30 from DS1 that we will use for DS2. I had lent it to a friend I trust, but will be replacing the straps. We have 2 extra bases, for for DHs car and one for our sitter. 

DS1 just turned 3 and I just flipped him forward facing. He's in a Diono Radian Rxt. That thing is a beast. It weights almost 30 lbs. I drive a GMC Acadia and because Dh and I are both tall we had issues with it rear facing until I got the angle adjuster. Even then Dh is 6'3" and likes to sit way back so Ds cannot go behind the driver's seat rear facing. As great as a seat that the Diono has been it's also a huge pain so we wont purchasing another one. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For S+TMs: 

• Vehicle factors that might influence your choice: This is such a factor, as this will be the third kid. Thankfully only two in carseats. BUT with rear facing prob forever, which makes things more difficult. I will either need to put the infant seat in the middle with a seatbelt configuration, or keep it outbound. If in the middle, the third child can sit it the second row. If outbound, the third child will have to sit in third row AND will have to access from trunk. My car is up on its lease in July, so maybe I can find a car that better suits our needs. But it's complicated. 
    • Favorite car seat: we have a maxi Cosi pria 85 convertible and a uppababy mesa infant seat. I love both. But if I were to get a new infant seat, I would get the nuna pipa, as it's super light!
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):$$$
    • What you like about it: Maxi Cosi Pria - sooo comfy and padded for the kid. Mesa - it is part of our travel system, and super easy. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Maxi Cosi - it's bulky (like most). Mesa - a little heavy 
    • Are you considering a specific car seat that goes with a travel system? Why?: YES! this is a must for me with an infant. 
    • Is there a car seat you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: No. 
    • Additional thoughts?: We also have a cosco scerna for my almost 3 year old, to use in our nanny's car and to travel with. It's basically bare bones, but super light to travel with. We couldn't travel with our Pria. 
  • Options
    @carpediem55 Do you have a middle row bench? I'm finding much more ease in figuring out multiple rear facing kids with captains seats in the middle, personally. Good luck!
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker