March 2020 Moms
Options

Wellness Wednesday 10/16

edited October 2019 in March 2020 Moms
We haven't done a wellness/fitness post in a while! 

What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them?

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday.

ETA: fixing spelling error

Re: Wellness Wednesday 10/16

• Options
    What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them? With DS I did barre 5-6 days a week, prenatal yoga 1-2x/week, and aqua aerobics 1x/week. I am struggling this pregnancy with staying active consistently. I think I’m gonna join the local gym bc they have childcare. I would ideally like to workout 4-5 days a week. Right now I do 2x on a good week, but usually once a week of this stroller fitness workout class. I just can’t seem to get my butt in gear this time. I can’t seem to make myself workout at home and I haven’t found a consistent class I like yet....but these are just excuses. I am perfectly capable of doing a home workout while DS naps, but I have zero desire to do so.

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday. I did my stroller fitness class yesterday and that will have to be it for the week bc we are celebrating my momma’s bday this wknd. But we’ll be in nyc so lots of walking at least!
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them?
    The month of September was a bust for me. I worked out maybe 4 times the entire month. Between the back pain and my nipples being on fire I just wasn't in the mood. Ideally, I would like to work out 5x a week but would be okay if I got in some kind of workout 4x a week. I use to be a workout at 5am type of person but I just can't wake up that early anymore and by the time I get home from work and cook dinner and all that I am exhausted. 

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday.
    I started taking my Barre classes again this week since my back pain hasn't been severe. I still can't make it to my early classes but I went to a class on Saturday and then again on Monday. I am hoping to go tonight but if not I plan on doing a prenatal workout at home and going to Zumba tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

@silverhope I haven't heard of stroller fitness. Sounds like a fun way to get in a workout.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Goals- workout 3x per week through second trimester, after that it’s to workout until Valentine’s Day. Overall I’m doing well. Honestly going to the gym my husband and I go to is habitual. It’s like a small family and I’ve been going there for two years. This past January we both got serious about our weight and ended up losing a total of 90lbs between the two of us. 

Challenges- day three has been hard to get in due to needing to get DD from the sitters on Fridays (her school is closed on Friday) and the weekends being jam packed with all things fall. I have been getting in two days a week consistently though. Also it’s hard to see other ppl at the gym doing the workouts I was doing and me not being able to do the full thing. Also breathing is hard lol. 

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday. Worked out already twice this week, however I won’t be able to get to the gym again until next Tuesday. We are going to Pittsburg this weekend bc DH is running a Spartan race and on Monday we have our anatomy scan. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @kantobean it’s so hard to workout when you’re sick, especially when you are pregnant bc breathing is already so difficult. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @kantobean Working all those hours on top of being sick and pregnant can't be easy. At least your eating healthy. That's where I struggle lol 
  • Options
    @kantobean I feel you on struggling.  I had started to get back on track with morning walks before work until I got into that car accident, and then my ankle was hurt and I legit couldn't walk.  And now I'm so congested that I can barely breathe and it's really not conducive to exercising and it's making me feel so blah.  I'm trying to eat healthy and not just devour any and all of my cravings, but it's been hard now that I'm feeling hungrier these days.
  • Options
    @Malidocious how is your ankle now?

• Options

Keep active and be strong for labor, mostly. I've been doing a 248k Step Challenge (8k/day) this month for work, riding my bike, and going to prenatal yoga 2x/week. But the weather can be pretty challenging Nov-May in the PACNW for longer outdoor activities, and it's been rainy and gloomier this week. Plus, I go to work events 2-3 nights a week that make evening classes challenging. Will probably start doing the prenatal exercises on TIU app during lunch soon - I prefer making exercise part of my commute/work/life vs scheduled time or classes though. 

Yoga, biking, walking! And this post has inspired me to do to at least one extra yoga or strength class this weekend  :smile: As for mental health...probably have to break out the sunlamp soon, before my SAD kicks in. 
  • Options
    @kantobean I am also struggling. I have a list of excuses as to why I am not working out, but not a lot of follow-thru. I am hoping posting about it here (and maybe getting this one going every week) will be helpful to motivate me. It would suck to "check in" here every week and have to say "I still am sitting on my ass" lol. 

@pdx2020 Your working out is inspiring! Except now also I EXTRA miss living in a city where going to a prenatal yoga class twice a week is possible. Wahh. 

What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them? I thought I would do prenatal yoga throughout the pregnancy, but I was so nauseated for so long, I didn't do much once that started--in August. Now, since we have a roommate and there's no space except the living room for me to work out at home, I REALLY want to sign up for a prenatal yoga class, but can't find any in the area (OH big cities, I miss you.) Having a class to go to would force me to go every week, and if it were prenatal, I could meet other future moms! I also want to look into what the university offers and see if they might be able to help me out. They closed the campus pool earlier this month. I was thinking some aqua-arobics might be fun, but alas. ALSO, I know it would probably help with my heartburn, etc., if I were working out!

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday. No, and not really? So my small, manageable item is to do some research into if the university has any options for me if I can't find a prenatal specific class in the area. AND to start walking after dinner, at least 3x a week.

I have a question, actually. I've only ever done yoga at home and dropped by the occasional yoga class--are there any other types of working out that are... relaxing and that I might be able to find a prenatal specific course? I know it depends on the area, but "prenatal yoga" is so known and specific--is there, like, "prenatal barre"?
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom, there are definitely prenatal options/adaptations for barre! Not sure if they’ll be options in your area (☹️), but they offer them in a lot of cities. 

My cheat (since my house is also not super conducive to workouts and I’m cheap as hell when it comes to working out) is to use my phone or a tablet and stream a free video in our office lactation room or gym. Literally “prenatal [exercise]” will get you tons of great, free content on YouTube. As long as you find a place with WiFi and a little space, it’s pretty great! But barre especially is good for strength and flexibility, very bump-friendly, and there are a ton of videos. 
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom with DS I went to normal barre (The Bar Method) but they had VERY specific prenatal adjustments for me. I really appreciated that every class the instructors had specific modifications for me and helped me. I went up until the day I went into labor. Other barre studios I went to were not as accommodating. Highly recommend The Bar Method for barre while pregnant.

I think there is also specific prenatal barre (just like post-birth there are places with baby-wearing barre), but only big cities would have classes. 

I think a lot of exercise classes will provide modifications for pregnant ppl, but some do a better job that others.

• Options
    @pdx2020 I have a prenatal yoga youtube list, just need some space to do it. I suppose I could use my office at school--my officemate is RARELY there. Thanks for the tip!

@silverhope I feel like it not being a specific to prenatal class just makes me....lack motivation more than i have any real, good excuse. I am already sort of shy when it comes to classes, so being singled out for modifications feels like something that would make me embarassed =/. But I am looking up The Bar Method now, thanks!