June 2020 Moms
Options

Product spotlight - vitamins

Anyone have any questions? 

Re: Product spotlight - vitamins

• Options
    What prenatals are people taking that have folate instead of folic acid?

I currently take the Garden of Life mykind organics prenatal which does contain folate.  I have Hashimoto’s (an autoimmune thyroid condition) and specifically like that it’s actual folate and doesn’t contain any gluten or dairy fillers.  My chiropractor recently told me though that Garden of Life was bought by Nestle in the last year or so and he wouldn’t be surprised if they reformulate and add more less ideal fillers to their products as a result so I guess I’m just trying to plan and see what other options I have out there!
  • Options
    @kberm mine has folic acid. Could you get a prescription one if you have special requirements like this? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take Mama Bird prenatals.  They have methylfolate.  I take them with the One Fish Two Fish fish oil, but together they can be pretty pricy. 
  • Options
    My doctor writes me a prescription so I can get the free ones at meijer 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    @runwmusic yep, I plan to ask my midwife about that at my first appointment.  So many of the prenatal multis at the store have synthetic folic acid instead of folate.

@kerco925 where do you buy the Mama Bird ones?  Online?  Or are they available in any stores that you know of?
  • Options
    @kberm3 I buy them on Amazon.  I dont know if any stores sell them.  I did a lot of research about a year ago and they were well reviewed for people who need folate over folic acid.  As far as I know, I dont, but I figured I would cover myself and take them anyway. 
  • Options
    @kerco925 ok, thanks!  I’ll look into it.
  • Options
    I really like the prenatal by Theralogix. I think it’s called “TheraNatal Complete.” The brand was recommended by my RE. The pills are pretty easy on the stomach, and they are tested/certified  by an independent organization. If you still want to shop around, I would highly recommend looking for brands that are independently certified by NSF International. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    I take Rainbow light prenatal 35+ as well as their prenatal DHA. 
  • Options
    I use Thorne currently. My acupuncturist recommended them last pregnancy so I just went with them again. I think it was that she liked the folate absorption from those. Downside: it's 3 per dose which can be tough when the gag reflex gets bad.

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    I jumped on the pill pack bandwagon a few months ago hoping someone would be able to give me some relief from my acid reflux without taking omeprazole which is rough on the kidneys.  I am finishing a month from Care/of which included their prenatal.  I didn't have much reflux relief (which in hindsight may have been because of being pregnant) so I am switching back to Persona.  Their folate is listed as Folate "(L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate, calcium salt)". 

Side Note:  What they have recommended to me is their prenatal, omega3, cal/mag, probios, and ginger.  They also have 2 DHA options available.  Is the DHA recommended to most people?  I have my first appointment next week, so I guess I can bring the doctor the list and ask her to go over what I may be missing?  
    Me 29 DH 33
    Married 10/2016
    TTC since 04/2019
    BFP 10/12/2019, estimated 6 weeks
    EDD 06/07/2020
  • Options
    @horsesmeetbaby I took DHA with my first because it happened to be with the prenatal my doctor prescribed that I can get for free. One time it didn’t have the DHA and I called the nurse to ask. She said it’s not 100% necessary, but definitely doesn’t hurt if you can stomach it. 
  • Options
    I'm currently taking Walmart's generic stuff... it's technically 2 pills: a multi & DHA that gives me stupid fish oil burps. ew. 

Also taking extra vitamin D as i'm deficient.

Going to switch though bc I won't be able to stomach that fish oil thing soon. Probably to some sort of gummy
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020