March 2020 Moms

STM+ October Discussion

EDD/Weeks + Days:

How old is/are your other kid(s)?

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing?

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family?

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family?

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)?
Me: 33 DH: 33
Married: 10.15.16
BFP: 12.24.16
DS BD: 8.20.17
TTC #2 1.1.19
BFP #2 7.3.19
EDD #2 3.13.20

Re: STM+ October Discussion

• Loading the player...
  • I will come back to add my answers, but I wanted to ask you all—is anyone having a shower or sprinkle? 

My friends are already planning a “sprinkle” for me and I feel like I can’t say no but I don’t really need anything. Especially if we’re having another girl. Actually I have a few specific things I need (another white noise machine, a new diaper bag, etc) but I don’t know if I should register? It seems a little tacky to have a registry of like 10 things. Idk.
  • @kantobean I think my mom is going to throw me a sprinkle. Truly I have no idea what that even entails. Like how is it different than a shower? I don’t need any big ticket items either, just small stuff and season-appropriate clothing. I made a registry but only because I would get the completion discount. I made it long before my mom even mentioned a sprinkle. Lol
  • @miss.sally I think it’s just supposed to be smaller than a shower? Fewer/smaller gifts and maybe a smaller group of people? Idk.

i told my friends I’m all for eating some cake but I don’t really need anything. They aren’t listening to me though, haha.
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 3/8 17+3

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 2.5

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? He’s doing pretty good. Struggling a bit with following directions and I’m not sure how much of it is just age appropriate and how much is him. Like in gymnastics he won’t do the warmups at all when he’s the second oldest in the class and most of those kids at least attempt to follow directions most of the time he’s either running wild or flops on the mat in a tantrum.  

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family? I can’t wait to see DS as a big brother and I’m excited for baby snuggles again! 

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family? I worry about DA not getting the attention he is used to and the new baby not getting as much as DS got. I worry about handling it when they both need me and I can only help 1. 

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)? If it could go just like last time but be a little shorter and no NICU I’d be happy. I was induced last time and I kind of liked not having to rush to the hospital but it overall took about 24hrs from when my water broke to baby being born and a little over 3 hours of pushing.  We live an hour from the hospital so I’m nervous about going into labor on my own and maybe not realizing it’s labor and then not making it. Last time DS was sunny side up so it was really intense back labor. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @mrsvp614 I hope you don’t have a NICU stay this time. Ours was only a day long and it was awful. I feel for those mamas with much longer stays! I felt so bad when I finally got to visit that first day because my guy was full term and huge compared to the other babies there but he was having some unexpected problems so I’m glad he got the help he needed, I think part of my problem was I always thought it was only preterm babies who went to the NICU so I was blindsided when they took him from me. 

@treetop19 I think DS is confused too. He started saying I’m his mommy brother 🤦🏻‍♀️ So we’re trying to get him to understand his brother is in my belly but a different person lol. 

@kantobean I’ve always thought sprinkles were more like a celebration of the baby so gifts are smaller like diapers, bibs, onesies, little things. Personally I’d register but not share the link just use it for the completion discount. That’s what I’m planning on doing though I doubt I’ll have a sprinkle. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @kantobean @miss.sally Around here people mostly have sprinkles if they’re having the opposite sex of what they already have, and then gifts are like clothes, blankets, sex specific and smaller type stuff. 

I suppose you could do a sprinkle for the same sex and either ask everyone to chip in for one big item you need, or do no big gifts and just a diaper or formula raffle or everyone bring a book, or something like that. Either way, if people want to celebrate you and this baby, sounds great to me!
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 

17 weeks

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 

Girls 2 and 4

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing?

They’re in a great routine, going to school opposite days, so they’re busy in their own way, but when we talk about Baby Brother they are very excited.

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family?

I’m looking forward to completing our family. I’m so excited to have a newborn and a bigger family but I’m really over being pregnant (already, I know!)

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family?

I’ll always be concerned about getting each child enough of their own time, own hobbies, etc. but we’ve done pretty well so far so I just hope we can keep it up as they get older and there are 3 of them. 

Im also concerned about having enough time and energy for my husband. This pregnancy has been hard on our marriage so far and I don’t want him to feel left behind. 

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)?

I am birthing with a midwife in the hospital so I am hoping to have more personal care and to labor longer at home and/or longer in the hospital before meds. I also realized on the second night last time that it was easier to have my husband go home and be with our older child overnight and keep up her routine, so I plan to have him spend whatever nights I’m in the hospital at home with the girls. He misses out on a little newborn time, but the nurses help with the baby, and he and the older siblings will be better rested and less out of sorts when we come home. 

• @varimama I like that idea. H stayed last time and also complained about comfort and sleep and I wanted to smack him. Haha. I know he will want bonding time but also like... you’re of no help to me so just leave me alone. 😂
  • @varimama @miss.sally 🤣 This sounds like my husband too. He was “so exhausted” from fitful sleep on the sleeper couch during my 30 hours of labor! Really!?!?
  • @hmama716 we had a similar age gap between my first and second. It definitely has its ups and downs. I loved that she was more independent so if I was nursing she could get herself a snack or watch a show or something. But activities are tough. It feels like we can never do something the entire family enjoys. It’s either centered toward toddlers or centered towards big kids. She’s also been fairly jealous. Which I wasn’t totally expecting. I thought “oh she’s older so she will get it.” But nope. She constantly tells me I spend too much time with him or he always gets what he wants or “why doesn’t he have to do chores?” Lol.

It also was a total learning curve having a newborn again after so long. Just like you said about all the rules and products and stuff changing. It’s crazy. Even things like car seats are SO different! And what I remembered working for DD didn’t work for DS and I was just a mess. Lol. She’s even more excited for this baby though because she will be 10 and is definitely more into the baby stage. Haha. She says toddlers are annoying. 😂
  • EDD/Weeks + Days:  3/20 15+5

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 3.5

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? Really good but having some potty training regression. Otherwise, a delight. I just wish I could spend more time with her.

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family? another tiny baby. I was looking at old photos of DD and getting really emotional! I can’t believe she was so little.

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family? Time. Work has been nuts for both me and H lately and I feel like we’re neglecting DD. I’m worried about adding another child and splitting our most limited resource: time/attention.

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)? Not sure yet? Went pretty well last time so I guess I’ll stick with it. 
  • @momoftoddlers ah! I don’t want DH to leave me in the hospital. I will be worried about DS with his grandparents for 48 hours, but I can’t imagine letting DH leave. Maybe during the day to check. But not overnight. 

@mrsvp614 sooo sweet abt the belly kisses.

EDD/Weeks + Days: 3/18, 16w

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 17 mo

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? Tantrums. So many tantrums

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family? Giving DS a playmate

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family? My exhaustion and grumpiness. I’m already losing my patience more than I’d like.

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)? I had a backup OB from another practice bc my doctor was on vaca. I loved the backup OB. I stuck w my doctor this time bc he is the best surgeon in the area if I do need an emergency cesarean, but I kinda hope I get the random backup OB again (if all goes smoothly again). 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kantobean @miss.sally I have a registry for the completion discount. I don't expect a shower/sprinkle. But I wouldn't shoot anything down since diapers/gift cards are always nice!
    @varimama My DS was technically full-term too, so I didn't expect a NICU stay at all. My eyes are definitely open this time that anything can happen! 
    @varimama @momoftoddlers @miss.sally I like the idea of having DH home with DS this time around. I'm sure my parents or ILs would be able to stay with him, but he'd be happier and more productive at home. 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @kantobean, I had a full-blown shower for both my kids, but they were 10 years apart and different genders.. by the time DS came along, I had no more baby stuff left.  I had the showers for both after they were born, and wasn't expecting either one.. family just got together at the last minute and decided to do it, and I didn't have a registry or anything.  I didn't get any big-ticket items anyway (which was good since I had already purchased them all) just mainly clothes and diapers and stuff like that.   I don't think I will have one with this LO, just because there isn't such an age gap, and I now live much further away from any family.

@hmama716 @miss.sally, the age gap between kiddos is definitely interesting (there is a 10 year gap between my DD and DS) ..... I second @miss.sally, I wasn't expecting the older sibling jealousy, but it happened for us.  DD is still jealous of DS, actually.  I guess, she got used to being doted on/being the only, and she was most disappointed that I didn't have the time for her like I used to... so lately I have tried to make it a point to spend more time with her.   But, one bonus to the age gap, she is old enough now (at 13) to babysit DS for a few hours at a time so DH and I can get out on a date night, and she helps out with him quite a bit when she is home during the summer.    I definitely agree that having a newborn again was crazy, and things were completely different the 2nd time around.. I remember DD's pediatricians saying absolutely no peanut butter before age 2, then suddenly when DS came along it was ok?  even the medical 'rules' seemed to have changed.  it was definitely akin to being a FTM all over again. 

• @mrsvp614 and @varimama my DS was born on his due date Nd also had a short NICU stay due to a huge hematoma on his head (from coming out so fast), that caused him severe jaundice. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. It caused a lot of problems for me and my recovery because they had already discharged me. So H and I had to stay in a nearby Ronald McDonald house and drive back every 1.5 hours so I could nurse (that’s on me for wanting to EBF) but the hospital made it REALLY difficult. I started swelling and bleeding and having weird pains. It was just awful. Definitely going to insist they check out baby BEFORE putting in my discharge papers this time. 
  • @miss.sally Ugh, that sounds awful. I was lucky enough to be able to stay in the hospital for the week DS was still there. I just had to move rooms several times, depending on what's available. We also lived like 10 minutes away so DH would go home at night to stay with the dog. It's an absolutely awful feeling to leave the hospital without your baby! 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • If we were doing a hospital birth, my DH wouldn't be going anywhere until baby and I were discharged! Y'all are very brave haha. But also my DH would know better than to complain about shoddy sleep right after I gave birth, I might be irritated enough to kick him out if he pulled that BS.

EDD/Weeks + Days: 3/27, 14w6d

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 3

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? Good! He's so funny, and very sweet. He loves talking about his baby brother and how the baby is growing but he's still bigger than him  :D He's also very excited for Halloween.

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family? I always knew I did not want to raise an only child, so I'm happy to finally hit the bare minimum requirement for that lol. I want a third but DH is unconvinced still. DS is a super sweet kid and I can't wait to see how he acts with the baby, especially because the "baby" at his babysitter's will be 2 this month and he thinks that's what real babies look like. So I'm pretty sure he's going to be shocked when the baby is born and he is much smaller.

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family? I feel really stretched thin most days as it is. Just worried about juggling two, and like others, worried about DS feeling neglected because the baby will need lots of attention and he won't have all my time and cuddles anymore.

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)? We planned a home birth with a midwife last time, and then when I realized I was in labor, it was way too late and my midwife was an hour away but the baby was coming right then. So we got an ambulance to the hospital 5 mins from my house and he was crowning before we even got there. It was truly a horrible experience and the staff at this hospital happened to be notorious for treating home birth transfers poorly, but it was the closest one and we had no choice. We will be doing a home birth again this time, just hopefully this time with the birth included and not just the prenatal care. Thankfully my midwife is only 15 minutes away this go around. And we now live just as close to a different hospital that is much better if a transfer is necessary. 
  • @kantobean @miss.sally Thank you so much for all the tips! I guess I will revisit the jealousy thing- right now he just seems jealous that the baby is in me haha "mama you know this is not just your baby but the whole families baby right". It will be so interesting to see how things shake out. It is so nice to see that there were others that waited between siblings, the questions we have been getting about it have been so shocking!

• EDD/Weeks + Days: March 18/ 16+3

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 3

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? DD had a rough start to the school year. We are working on her behavior with a positive incentives chart. She is very bright and articulate but struggles with cleaning up and sharing. 

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family? seeing DD with her baby brother, it’s pretty much all she talks about. 

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family? taking care of both kids, especially after my cs. 

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)? I had a failed induction with DD that ended in an emergency cs. The actual procedure went fine and then DD was able to stay with me the whole time. I just had a hard time with recovery bc I wasn’t expecting it. I also labored for 18 hours (only dilated to a 4) before they decided to call it. This time I’m having a scheduled cs and I know what to expect so I’m looking forward to that. Not looking forward to caring for my 40 lb toddler post surgery but I know many moms do it so it can be done. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• EDD/Weeks + Days: 3/1 19w2d

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 4 next month, and 2 in January

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? We are in a good stage, DS had Hand/Foot/Mouth disease a couple weeks ago, so after dodging that with DD, I can now mark that off my list of experiences. So, so glad it did not spread to the rest of us to the same degree.

What are you looking forward regarding adding to your family? When the three kids are older and their personalities really develop and seeing them interact!!

What concerns do you have regarding adding to your family? How long it takes to get to that point!! DS is almost 2 but waiting for him to start talking so he can communicate with DD is making time slow down. Not that once they can communicate it will always go well I guess!!

Are you planning do to anything different for this birth, or are you wanting a similar experience to previous birth(s)? If this birth can go exactly like my planned c-section delivery and recovery wise with DS, that would be great. DD was not so great, forceps here too @EmilyLove25 and also the big baby in NICU @varimama and @mrsvp614 (10lb 2oz in for one week for meconium and bottomed out blood sugar). And then my stitches blew after two weeks, so all of those things would be nice to avoid this time around!!

@mrsvp614 Glad potty training is going smoothly, hope he's all set for daytime by the time the baby comes!!

@treetop19 so cute that he wants a tree, perfect excuse for you to get one up as soon as you want!!

@kantobean logically I know I should not to do anything for this baby being the third, but I also feel guilty she doesn't get her own party. Like I don't want any gifts, just the celebration (to fill that section on the baby book I'll never get around to completing) and yes to the cake!! We did a sip and see for DS, but it felt a little forced as there was supposed to be a shower but this was more of an afterthought feeling.

@varimama My two amaze me at how well they can tune out the others' tantrums. One screaming is almost a deterrent for the other one and they are good at sorting themselves out if one is being more needy...most of the time.

@momoftoddlers My DH will def be 'enjoying' every hospital moment with me, muahahaha. Actually it was a nice break for us from our toddler and a second to enjoy the new baby and looking forward to soaking up that moment again.

@miss.sally sorry about your NICU stress, I did the same thing with putting a lot of stress on myself to make it down to her every three hours to nurse, even though she was being NG fed anyway because of her infection. 

@stassischroeder My DD also worried me for a bit with her 'preferences', not sure if this is what you mean, but like for example FREAKING out if a sock is folded down in a weird way inside her pants. Kind of stuff that made me say uhhhhh, like I know toddlers can be picky about their toast being cut a certain way etc. which she does express opinions on things like that too, but it was the more sentient things that worried me for a bit. Not anymore, because it seems selective and she's very carefree on many things. Wondering if (this is me making stuff up again) it's a first born thing, because they're so used to us being able to make everything close to perfect for them. Cuz my DS is waaaaayy more laid back haha.

@EmilyLove25 That book sounds like something I need to read, I feel like my DD has been like that since 15 months, eek, she's strong willed to a T.
  • Did any of you seasoned mamas have prodromal labor with any of your babies? I had it with DS for 6 weeks, and I’m not really sure what the chances are of that happening again/earlier this time are. It was pure hell and I’m not looking forward to it if that does happen. 
  • Question for moms with mini-vans or third row SUVs.... DH is already arguing with me about where we will have the car seats in our van. Right now, DS1 is rear facing in the second row captain's chair on the passenger side. I think DS2 should be right next to him, in the second row. DH thinks we should move DS1 to the back, third row, so that other people can get in/out of the van.
    The thing is, 98% of the time, it'll just be me and the kids, or the four of us, so I think it's silly to put our kid all the way in the back for the occasional times someone else (grandparents) are riding with us. I'm also thinking that the infant seat will be easier to get around for the first while.

So what do you all do?
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @mrsvp614 we plan on keeping kids in the 2nd row. Similarly 98% of the time it’s just us so seems silly to put kids in an inconvenient place for 2% of the time. Plus good excuse not to carpool sometimes. I love my ILs but when we are all visiting my SIL DH thinks we should carpool bc it’s almost 2 hrs away but I hold firm and say no bc we are usually trying to have DS nap on the way there or back or I used to be breastfeeding more frequently so I’d nurse him in the car when we got there and/or left and I’m sorry but I don’t need the ILs trying to play games with him or talking the whole time when he should be napping or eating. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama Yup. Unfortunately, my ILs refuse to drive when they're here, but I'd much rather them be inconvenienced than me or my kids, so when they're here, we'll just have to make it work. 
    I'm going to do more research to see what's recommended so I can have more proof for my argument with DH. Ha! 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @miss.sally I googled prodromal labor since you mentioned it and I wonder now if it’s what I had the last few weeks of my pregnancy. I only seemed to get it if I was driving my car for 30 min or more though. It was a very specific positioning that made me start having what felt like painful contractions. Once I got out of the car and could stand up for a few minutes, I’d be fine. I never asked my OB about it since I knew the trigger was long drives. I guess if it happens this time, I’ll ask what is up. 

• @silverhope mine would be 5 mins apart for days at a time. I wouldn’t be able to sleep, walk much, it was horrible. I was 3cm dilated for weeks. I begged my OB in tears at every visit to induce me and she wouldn’t because legally she couldn’t until my due date. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemies. 
  • @miss.sally okay never mind—don’t think i had that then. It was painful, but short lived once I got out of the car.

I never got a cervix check until I was in labor at the hospital since DS came early so no clue if I was dilated early. But I def didn’t have what you did. I have no clue what was going on with me and car rides.