March 2020 Moms

GTKY: Local F(l)aves

What is something distinct to your area that you enjoy and/or recommend? Food items will likely be the go-to here, but other answers outside of food are welcome! (Bonus points if it's impossible/hard to get elsewhere) (Extra credit if you live somewhere different than where you grew up and really miss a thing particular to the area you grew up & can't get it elsewhere :'( .)

Re: GTKY: Local F(l)aves

• Loading the player...
  • @WorkingOnMyNightCheese I went to RIT too! Grew up about a mile from there and decided to stay because they had the program I wanted! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @varimama we have DiBellas subs here and I’ve never been. Now I want a sub. Is there a particular one you recommend? 
  • @WorkingOnMyNightCheese what year did you graduate RIT? One of my best friends from high school went there! We graduated college 2010
  • @miss.sally honestly everything I’ve had there is amazing, they make their own bread and all their ingredients are great quality and they don’t skimp on quantity! I used to be a vegetarian so I often got their cheese sub and they put so much cheese on it was amazing (unlike subway that puts like 2 slices on)! DH’s favorite is The Godfather which I forget exactly what’s on it but it has a lot of meat! 

What major was your friend? I was at RIT from 2008 to 2013 for Microelectronic Engineering (so in their engineering college). 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama I want to say he did aerospace engineering. 
  • @kagesstarshroom when I used to work in an office, we had one coworker who would drive up near Philly to get soft pretzels for the office once every few months.  So good!  Even for having to drive them over an hour to get back to the office, they wouldn't be stale.  
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • @miss.sally cool! I probably wouldn’t have known him since he’d have already finished his basic classes and I was mostly grouped with Electrical Engineers at that point but we’d have been in the same building a lot lol. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama @miss.sally @creativesoul63
    This is wild! I graduated in 2009 and majored in photography. But... I lived with a bunch engineers and computer science folks. Lived in the UC apartments when they were still the nicest ones there. 
  • And now I want to go to Wegman's....
  • Omg @hellobabys now I want bbq. And hush puppies. 😭
  • I'm from the Chicago suburbs, so I guess I have to mention deep dish pizza? Portillos too? I feel like most of our 'specialities' are just like typical American fast food fare tbh. And there's a strange heavy focus on not having ketsup on your hot dog. Avoid Malort though. 

I'd also suggest Pączki in the early spring for Pączki Day (typically Fat Thursday around here). Other Polish foods like Pierogi and Kolacky (I'm Polish American and the Chicago area has a ginormous Polish and Polish American population). 
  • @aerie_star I LOVE PORTILLOS!!! 
  • miss.sallymiss.sally member
    edited September 2019
    @jenEP have you ever been to Pel Meni? They opened one in Fremont. I went all the time in Bellingham during college. They’re Russian dumplings and OMG I have been craving them basically since I moved away. I’ve thought about calling and begging them to mail me some. They do sell them frozen. Lol.

edited because typing is hard. 
  • @aerie_star, my husband is from MI/Chicago and has literally ordered paczki (and paid $$$$ for shipping) to get them out to the PACNW. And he’s right — it’s always worth it! 
  • @Malidocious Oh me too! There’s a location by us that my dad and I like to go to! 

@pdx2020 Wooow! I can’t even imagine the shipping on them! But yes, completely worth it! They’re the one thing Polish that I really love that I also cannot make myself. 
  • I love this thread!  My #1 priority when I travel is eating what locals eat.  This makes me want to travel!

The weird thing is, I couldn't really think of anything Seattle is known for, lol.  I agreed with @jenEP about the salmon and crab.  I guess we're known for coffee, but that culture has spread everywhere so it doesn't really feel like our own thing to me.  We have a Seattle dog, which is a hot dog with cream cheese and grilled onions.  Google says we're also known for geoduck (pronounced gooey duck) which looks like a suuuuper phalic giant clam, but I don't know anyone who actually eats it.  
  • edited September 2019
    @keeksie84 haha I started this thread bc I have a whole laundry list of complaints of things I can't get where I live now compared to where I used to live--but I agree, it's a good reference for traveling too!

@miss.sally MMM hushpuppies. There's one place that makes them in the downtown area my university is near that kills it, and now I want to go there and order some. So thanks for that lol.

@aerie_star Literally have never heard of Pączki, but just googled it and now I want some.

This is sort of the opposite of local FAVES, but I thought of some more specific Louisiana things, but I don't like any of them lol: kolaches are like doughnuts, but can also be made savory! Also King Cake, which is a special Mardi Gras cake... I've never had a piece I thought was worth writing home about. Boudin is like, sausage with rice--it's a breakfast food. I guess I've never been a fan of breakfast meat products. There are a few from the Philly area that I despite as well, maybe even more than boudin lol: pork roll and scrapple--absolutely gross.

ETA: spelling
  • You’re all making me hungry and inspiring an culinary road trip!

in Canada the obvious is POUTINE! So damn delicious! But it’s best in Quebec and has to be made with squeaky cheese/cheese curds. I lived in Montreal for 5 years and we have some good spots for poutine in Toronto but man I miss me a Montreal Poutine. And Montreal smoked meat. And Montreal bagels! Soo yummy! Also Canadian maple syrup FTW and Nova Scotia lobsters are just 🤤 
    In Toronto we are known for hot dog/sausage stands called “street meat” and they are soooo freaking good. Not your typical hot dog stands, they are grilled and have amazing toppings and are delicious. DH often gets them, we had a great stand by our old place! 
    Toronto is also super multicultural so we are lucky to have amazing restaurants and cuisines from all over! Im of Greek descent and the best Greek food I’ve had outside of Greece is in Toronto at a restaurant that makes authentic gyro. A lot of Jewish Delis and Filipino cuisine in the neighborhood I grew up in too. Nom nom nom!

I also lived in Thunder Bay in Northwestern Ontario (on top of Minnesota!) and I miss a couple of things from there. They were these mysterious things that were a cross between a cinnamon bun and a donut with strawberry icing, they are called “Persians” (I think they were names after someone) and there is a famous bakery called “the Persian man” lol! They are so delicious. Also they had a lot of Finnish Pancakes and they were BOMB! Can’t ever go back to regular pancakes now. 
  • Chicago suburbs here and we can’t dismiss Italian beef sandwiches!  I was a vegetarian for 5 years while living in AZ, and when we had plans to move back here I knew in my heart that my plant based diet was out the window. Because beef sandwiches are absolutely delicious. You’re supposed to get them “dipped” in the juice but I usually make them dry because I don’t like the soggy bread at all. But that is against the rules apparently, like putting ketchup on a hot dog. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • @dunder_mifflin I feel like there's a "Montreal Bagels" chain in my hometown that my Mom & I have gone to on multiple occasions that is pretty good? But now I want a REAL Montreal bagel bc I know there's nothing like the Real Thing--Toronto sounds great too! I think DH & I watched a show set in Toronto and kept thinking it looked like a cool city from the show--Kim's Convenience? Cute show! IDK if you know if it's set in Toronto or not.

@uno_mas ...where is putting ketchup on a hot dog illegal haha--is that a Chicago thing? I've never heard that!
  • @kagesstarshroom yes! Kim’s convenience is filmed in Toronto! It’s another CBC show, like Schitt’s Creek. Kim’s convenience is in a really great spot in the city so it looks extra cool. Suits is also filmed in Toronto, more in the financial district.

Montreal bagels are awesome! Fairmont bagels and St. Viateur bagels are 🙌 if you’re ever there. More dense and crispy than New York bagels 

All of the foods from American cities sound so bomb! I love how each region has a culinary specialty 
  • @kagesstarshroom a Chicago style
    hotdog has way too much stuff on it but no ketchup 😄. Onion, mustard, tomato, pickle, sport pepper, cucumber and celery salt. 
  • @uno_mas I’m so down for this, I’m not a big ketchup person 
  • @uno_mas Both my parents are Chicago natives and I cannot stand Chicago-style hot dogs. I uh only eat them with ketchup. My father still refuses to get a hot dog for me when we're at a Blackhawks game. 
  • Yeah I don’t get the insistence on no ketchup.  Don’t like when there is too much stuff and the bun breaks too. I think a beef sandwich is the best thing we’ve got going around here. And now I want one 😆
  • @uno_mas I've never heard the no ketchup thing! That's crazy!

Representing idaho over here! Home of potatoes and fry sauce!
  • @aerie_star lol omg i love that your dad won't buy you one at a sporting event as though your hot dog preferences are an embarrassment to him--i hope you also think this is quite funny.
  • @kagesstarshroom Pretty much everyone I know in or from Chicago treats my hotdog preferences as embarrassing. I laugh about it whenever it comes up. 
  • @aerie_star I prefer ketchup on hot dogs too and DS says that it is acceptable for kids under like 8 only so he laughs at me every time. He usually doesn’t interfere unless we are going to the hotdog stand he used to work at in hs where they have a special sauce. I do actually like that sauce so it’s not a big deal there. 
    EDD 11/24/23