1st Trimester

Second Baby Different Pregnancy Symptoms

Hello Bump community!!
I am wondering if there are any other moms out there who was worse pregnancy symptoms for the second pregnancy compared to their first? I am extra bloated, extra tired, nauseous (wasn’t the first time), have strong food aversions and I think my tummy might be sticking out already ☹️ Is this normal or could there be something funny going on like ectopic or twins?

Re: Second Baby Different Pregnancy Symptoms

• wend12345 said:
    Hello Bump community!!
    I am wondering if there are any other moms out there who was worse pregnancy symptoms for the second pregnancy compared to their first? I am extra bloated, extra tired, nauseous (wasn’t the first time), have strong food aversions and I think my tummy might be sticking out already ☹️ Is this normal or could there be something funny going on like ectopic or twins?
    Each pregnancy can be different - nothing to worry about. Your body is reacting differently  to the pregnancy hormones than your 1st. There is nothing wrong. 
  • Every pregnancy can be different. I had less symptoms with my first pregnancy (twins) than my second (singleton). My last pregnancy felt really different but I think that was because I was older (39) and got tired a lot more easily. You usually will show earlier with each subsequent pregnancy because your muscles have been stretched. Bloat is totally normal early on. 
    If you feel something is off call your doctor and get his/her advice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • As the other ladies have said, every pregnancy is different. If you're concerned, always call your doctor. 
    For me, my first tri symptoms were much worse with my second child, and it was a singleton. Different symptoms don't really mean much, and showing/bloating more is pretty typical after the first pregnancy because your muscles have already stretched. 
  • Thank you every body 
  • Yes, there *could* be something going on. Is there? Probably not. Having normal pregnancy symptoms that are different from a previous pregnancy is NOT a sign of an ectopic. Some of the signs of an ectopic are sharp pains, bleeding, and dizziness. Bloating, morning sickness, cravings, etc. are normal pregnancy symptoms. 
  • I'm on baby #2 and my symptoms have been different. MS was way worse with DD (#1). But I'm bigger and "showed" faster with DS (#2). (Showed is in quotations because I looked like I had a bump early due to bloat. Stomach was definitely all squish though.. so not a true bump.) This time around I have more round ligament pain and general crampiness. Also feel like I'm having more restless sleep with this one.. but can't really remember how it was with DD. Every pregnancy is different. Varying symptoms (duration/frequency etc) are normal. Since your body has done this before, some things may happen sooner than they did the first time. Or not. Just enjoy the ride.  :)

Me: 36 / DH: 37
    Met: 9/21/08
    Married: 10/5/13
    BFP #1- 2/5/17 * EDD- 10/18/17 * DD born- 10/25/17
    BFP #2 3/18/19 * EDD 11/25/19* DS born 11/30/19
  • I feel a lot crappier with each pregnancy.  I think part of it is aging and also being tired because you have kids.  

Tw, I had a molar pregnancy two years ago.  I didn’t notice until the pregnancy had ended, but the symptoms were much different than a normal pregnancy.   (Ie generally crappy feeling, back pain, and my nausea was different, but hard to describe.).  My point being, even if something were “wrong” you can’t go off of symptoms. 
  • Jyoung327Jyoung327 member
    edited September 2019
    I've had both an ectopic and twins.... of those symptoms there would likely need to be some pain to describe an ectopic....though its more likely slowed intestines ...and for twins as others said the symptoms dont directly correlate to multiples. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18