February 2020 Moms

Losing weight

Is it normal that i havent gained weight but lost 4 lbs? Im technically overweight for my height before i was pregnant but it worries me that i shouldn't be losing weight.  Im 18 weeks now.... anyone else have a similar situation?

Re: Losing weight

• I haven't gained any weight. I lost 5 after my 10 week appointment and haven't gained anything back yet. I am also slightly overweight as well but my doctor has no concerns with me only losing the 5lbs so far. 
  • My doctor recommended I lose weight bc I'm severely overweight and said it's okay to lose it as long as its because you've changed to healthy eating habits. But if its bc of MS or something then it's less okay. Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns?
  • Loading the player...
  • Good to hear last time i saw my doctor she said ill gain all my weight in my 3rd trimester so i didn't think anything of it, but recently lost the 4lbs. 
  • @farfar786 Definitely listen to your doctor. From what I understand it’s typical to gain a pound a week during third trimester, often starting mid to late second trimester, so for women who are overweight and only need to gain 15-20lbs total it would make sense that there’s no need to gain until then. I’m on the higher end of normal BMI and my midwife said it was fine to only gain 20lbs total and not worry about it until 20 weeks on.
  • I lost 10 between 8 weeks and 16 weeks. My midwife said as long as baby is growing and I'm getting proper nutrition, she's not worried. I'm at an "obese" bmi and it's pretty typical to lose in the first and early second trimesters. 
  • Thanks for this reassurance