December 2019 Moms

Re: UO 7/11

• anniemarie887anniemarie887 member
    edited July 2019
    I feel like we started to take a stroll down the UO lane with the maternity shoot convo this morning (@holly321 @ninrms @k_mama91 @ktmaesim @bookworm492 @rjgmcmanus I think I tagged everyone) so let ‘em rip ladies!
  • I don’t love the beach/ocean.  We live close and we go every year, but usually only stay one night.  I get sick of the sand and the constant need for sunblock.  And I just don’t find it relaxing.  I also am not the type of person to want to just lay in the sun for hours.  We also just did our yearly trip and I will probably be cleaning sand up for the next week.
  • Loading the player...
  • @holly321 I'm with you.  I'd rather explore a new culture on vacation. 
  • I've stopped feeling obligated to attend things: my cousin gets married in August, we live 20ish minutes apart from each other but don't speak, she's kind of a brat and showed some true colors after our grandmother died and it felt so good to decline.
  • I just can't get into Stranger Things
  • @klmcguire in general? Or just the 3rd season?
  • @klmcguire SAME!! I've tried several times and just can't into it. 
  • @klmcguire I can't get in to any TV show lately! I watch some comedies,  that are stand alone episodes,  but that's it. 
  • @anniemarie887 I never made it past eisode 2 of the first season lol. 

• Screaming children in public places annoy me. I’m a mom, kids scream and get loud. That’s fine. But the parents who encourage and laugh when their child is shrieking in the checkout at Kroger vs trying to calm them works my nerve. It’s not cute. And I probably sound like a bitch for saying that. Oh well. 
  • @k_mama91, it is very annoying.  This comes from a mom of 2 loud autistic children.  They are not aloud to scream in public.  (Not saying they never do.). 
  • ktmaesimktmaesim member
    edited July 2019
    @holly321  omg the beach is SO BORING...even as a kid I thought so. I do love water activities though.

@anniemarie887  I too have decided I'm done sugarcoating things, and feeling obligated. Life is too short.

@k_mama91 I usually try to give the screaming kid the death-stare and sometimes it works lol!
  • also can't stand any shirt with a quote on it. why am I so mean today. I will never purchase or put "character clothing" on my kids... 
  • @ktmaesim I hate the term hubby! if you want to call your husband your hubby, annoying. but do NOT call my husband my hubby, he is my husband. Preggers I don't use but I'm neutral on it, it's easier for me to ignore I think. 
  • @ktmaesim get it out girl! Haha 

I felt that way about A Star is Born. I generally also can’t stand a remake. 
  • @anniemarie887  I made an exception for Star is Born because I worship lady gaga haha
  • I don't like coffee.
  • @ktmaesim I generally avoid overly hyped stuff.  Some of the shows I will watch because dh wants too.  I for the most part haven’t read/seen Harry Potter, I never read or saw any of the hunger games stuff either.
  • @blueskychicago12 When not pregnant I normally drink a minimum of 3 cups every morning. It’s more creamer than coffee but still.
  • @blueskychicago12 my weird coffee aversion the first 10ish weeks was WAY worse than giving up anything else. I don’t drink more than one coffee, but I live for my Nespresso machine. 
  • @blueskychicago12 same! I actually don’t drink anything with caffeine but I really don’t enjoy hot beverages in general either. 

• @ktmaesim @anniemarie887 I'm totally on your page with getting out of obligations.  For YEARS, both my family and my husband's family have basically required us to do things with them for holidays, birthdays, etc.  This year, following a few big fallout discussions (which somehow my parents are still semi-oblivious to), we've chosen to take the lead on our own decision making in our lives.  Is there a word for family peer pressure, because that's what it feels like!  For those of you who have wonderful grandparent-y parents, I envy you.  Frankly, ours SUCK. 
  • @cpk3535 I am sorry you have a rough relationship with your family.  We are fortunate to have a great relationship with my parents and a generally good one with MIL and step FIL, but when it comes to extended family, things are really bad.  I have cut almost all of them out of our lives, with a few exceptions.  It generally has been so much better.  I get sad sometimes my kids won’t know what a big family is like, which I always loved, but hopefully they won’t have family members letting them down.
  • @cpk3535 yes, I’m just over doing things because “people” think I should. I’ve told a few people about declining my cousins wedding and they are mortified. But she’s basically a stranger to me, I’m not a cold hearted person. I flew to Michigan for a friends wedding earlier this year, but that person I talk to weekly and actually know what’s going on in their life. 

As for immediate family, is this your first? I’m blanking... maybe things will get better when baby is here!
  • anniemarie887anniemarie887 member
    edited July 2019
    @holly321 I come from a small family, both of my parents have one sibling only. But as a kid I had plenty of aunts and uncles who weren’t blood related, and are still around in my life. Those relationships mean more than some blood obligation. 
  • @holly321 I don’t like the beach either. So much so we turned down a free vacation this year with the in-laws because it was a beach vacation. The thought of taking a six month old to the beach 11 hours away sounded like a nightmare. Plus DH would have had to use all his paid time off. We have better things to use his paid time off for. 

My UO, I hate being pregnant. It’s a means to and end. So I do it. But I hate it. I don’t glow. I’m not more beautiful. I have gestational diabetes so I have to count carbs and stick myself multiple times a day. Other risk factors mean that I see my OB more than most of my friends.  It’s uncomfortable. Clothes don’t fit right. It generally sucks. Worth it. But sucks. 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

• @anniemarie887 We have an 8yo daughter already ❤️  We love her so much, and she’s going to be a fantastic sis.  To be fair, my parents are the worst of the two sets of grandparents, mostly because we work with them on a constant basis.  My husband’s parents are also still working, and are also heavily controlled by my SIL and her kids’ needs.  

I kind of think it’s a generational thing, especially in high cost of living states.  A lot of people in the grandparent arena aren’t anywhere close to retirement, and therefore being a devoted grandparent isn’t really a priority.  It’s kind of sad- I just thought my parents would have more fun being grandparents.  Our daughter is a great grandkid!  I want her to have happy memories of these weird old people!  Lol
  • @cpk3535 that does suck. It’s weird economic shift but I get what you mean, my dad will be the only grandparent retired. As one of four girls, sisters are the best. ❤️
  • @Stac928 I don't like it either and between the uncomfortable physical changes and limitations,  switching jobs,  losing friends and losing pets I'm certain I'll remember this period in life as one of the worst in my life overall. I don't count how many weeks along I am,  I count down how many weeks left.