January 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 6/28: Baby Carriers

(Prompts stolen from Sept bmb)

This week we are discussing baby carriers (ring slings, wraps, ssc etc.) 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [baby carrier]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]:

For FTMs:
  • [Carrier(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight 6/28: Baby Carriers

• Options
    Ooo yes!

- Baby Bjorn Carrier One Air 
    https://www.babybjorn.com/baby-carriers/baby-carrier-one/
    - $200 ish (I got mine from Amazon as an open box/return that was still brand new for about half that)
    - I love how easy it is to put on. I wanted a lillebaby but I tried this one on at BuyBuyBaby and it is soooooo user friendly and I fell in love. The “air” version is also mesh so it’s not quite as hot
    - After he hit about 25 pounds it wasn’t super comfortable 

Moby Wrap
    https://mobywrap.com/shop/moby-wrap
    - You can get them used super cheap! I think mine was $5 at a yard sale 
    - really really comfortable and hold baby right next to your body. I just bough this so I haven’t used it on an infant yet but I think it’s going to be really nice for winter baby wearing. I did test drive it on my 30 ish on toddler and we were actually both really comfortable. I was surprised. 
    - More of a learning curve than a soft sided carrier. 

Biggest suggestion: if you have a baby wearing group in your area connect with them! What works for you and your baby isn’t always going to be what you expected. There isn’t really and one size fits all solution because we are all different. BuyBuyBaby is another awesome resource. We went right after DS was born and they were so incredibly helpful with trying on the different carriers and helping me find the best option for myself. 

Also. Facebook Marketplace is your friend here lol
  • Options
    kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited June 2019
    Lillebaby Complete All Seasons
    https://www.lillebaby.com/products/complete-all-seasons
    - costs about $150 from the site. There are usually good sales on amazon.
    - This just fits so well. There are so many adjustment points that you can get a great fit and it’s so comfy. I also like you don’t need an infant insert. You can use it straight from birth and used up to 45lbs.
    - There are 6 carrying positions including inward and outward facing, back and hip carry as well.

Baby K’tan
    https://www.babyktan.com/cottonwrap
    - costs about $50
    - super easy to use. I tried the moby wrap but felt dumb trying to remember how to wrap it. This is like a wrap for dummies. You just slip it over your head and put the baby in. I found it really easy to use and loved it for when the baby was a newborn or to wear around the house vs. the Lillebaby. 
    - it didn’t last until the 35lb weight limit. I probably used it until 4 months before it got uncomfortable.

I second the suggestion to find a babywearing group in your area. They can help with fit and usually have a lending library so you can try all sorts of different carriers and wraps to see what works best for you. 

Eta words

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    • Newborn:
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: Newborn- Ring Sling
    • Link/picture
    • e:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): 60$ but all over marketplace for cheaper.
    • What you like about it: So easy!  And baby is close.   Its great if you are pushing a cart because baby is a little higer up and too the side than with front carriers.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: love everything
    3+ months:
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: Ergo 360
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $160
    • What you like about it: transitional!  I wore baby so many different ways with this one.  She is 13 months now and can ride in it piggy back style.  We carted her all round Disney in this!
    HIKING-
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: Osprey
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $290
    • What you like about it: transitional!  Best hiking pack I've tried.  Distributes weight to your hips so evenly.  My babe is close to 30lbs and we can do miles in this! And so many storage pockets.

• Options
    Following this! FTM here. I was just looking at baby carriers and wondering if we would use much but it’s sounding like definitely!

[Carrier(s)] you're interested in: Baby K’Tan

Link/picture: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/s/k-tan-baby-carrier?ta=typeahead&flyout=true

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $60

Any questions about it/them for S+TMs: sizing for carriers seems tricky.. suggest a size up generally? 
  • Options
    FTM here! Thanks for the advice about the baby wearing groups and the awesome packs. I have felt overwhelmed by options. This will be our preferred method of transporting baby. Do you guys use strollers much? We almost don't even think we want to get one and just get some good versatile carriers.
  • Options
    I second @justsuzie ‘s recommendation for the Ergo 360. She gave the photo and details, and I agree that its versatility and ability to transition from inside-facing (with a newborn insert) to outside-facing to backpack is amazing. We still use it for DD in backpack mode, and I took her to a ton of football games in it throughout her infancy and toddlerhood. It’s also my go-to gift for baby showers!

@biolprof yeah, I still recommend having a stroller. We have an Uppababy as our everyday/neighborhood/long walks stroller but bought a lightweight travel stroller by Summer Infant and take it on just about every flight/long trip. 
  • Options
    I'll add to what everyone said about the K'tan. It was great at first, because you slip it on and go. After a few months, it got to be really uncomfortable. 

• Favorite [baby carrier]: Tula free to grow
    • Link/picture: https://babytula.com/collections/free-to-grow-baby-carriers
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $110-150?
    • What you like about it: I love how both DH and I can easily use it. With very quick adjustments, we can swap who's carrying DD. You can also carry on the front or back. It's machine washable too.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: I love everything about it!
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: There's a new Tula I've thought about.
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: I loved carrying! Still do. I've hiked miles with DD, gone to the store, wore her to get housework done during the first few weeks, you name it.
    @biolprof We used the stroller once before DD turned a year old. I carried everywhere. It was just so much easier. Plus with the c-section weight restriction, it felt like it was my only option at first.
  • Options
    valerie4786valerie4786 member
    edited June 2019
    • Favorite [baby carrier]:  Baby K'tan & Tula!
    • Link/picture:  they've both been linked already above
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):  Can't remember exactly...I'm pretty sure K'tan was under $50 and I bought my Tula used on a buy/sell/trade carrier Facebook group for around $100.
    • What you like about it:  K'tan: I really liked it early on in infancy.  I didn't need an insert, it kept her super close while I could get things done, and it was comfortable.  Tula: I liked it when she was bigger, like 9+ months, when I didn't feel as comfortable having her in the K'tan.  Tula was more structured, super comfortable, you can find a cute design that fits your personality.  I used my Tula in the airports when i traveled with her from O'hare to Alaska when she was a year old, then went hiking in Alaska with her in it.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:  K'tan: less structured so not as good for a wiggly older infant in my opinion.  Not as supportive as the infant gets bigger, it would make my back start hurting if I wore her for too long.  Tula:  the price, although they're so worth it!  Brand new is outrageous so i was so excited to find mine on a buy/sell/trade.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:  Possibly a ring sling, I've always liked the idea of them but I'm not sure I need another one with the two that I regularly use and two that basically sat in storage the whole time.
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]:  I could never figure out wraps.  I invested in a gently used one from the buy/sell/trade group and never felt like I could get her tight enough and always got tangled in the fabric.  Probably will end up selling my wrap since I just don't really use it or feel comfortable using it.
    ETA:  I wore my daughter in the Tula until she was about 2.5 when she wanted snuggles or to be close, she's just so active now which is really the only reason I don't wear her anymore.
  • Options
    valerie4786valerie4786 member
    edited June 2019
    @biolprof Re: the stroller I'd say it just depends on your lifestyle.  For us personally, we live in a smaller town towards the country so we drive everywhere.  We didn't use the stroller as often as I expected we would, plus I ended up wearing her more than I thought I would.  We've really only used the stroller for trips to the fair/zoo or local festivals.  
    ETA:  I still think our stroller has been worth it even if we haven't used it as often as we expected. It was all a part of the Graco Click Connect travel system with her infant bucket seat which I got on black Friday for a really good deal.
  • Options
    This is more in the “carrier accessory” category, but a carrier-friendly hoodie comes in very handy for wearing kiddos outdoors when it’s chilly. I have this one:

https://boba.com/collections/boba-hoodie

It fits over soft carriers with ease and is really snuggly!
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 ooohhh I saw those last time too late in the game but I may get myself one this time around! 
  • Options
    @biolprof my stroller has been a complete lifesaver. But I also have a very large child. He’s not 2 yet and is 32+ lbs so carrying him doesn’t last long. He would also fall asleep in the stroller when he was a baby so we would go for walks so I could drink my coffee while it was still hot 😂

some kids also don’t care for a carrier after a certain point. My friend’s son will scream bloody murder and fight it 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    @biolprof Yes to the stroller.  Here is why it was a lifesaver for us....Parker NEVER was able to fall asleep so I would drive to go somewhere and put her in the carseat.  She always fell asleep in the car.  Then, I would click the carseat into the stroller and walk around Target, get a coffee, and it was the only time I had a little break.
  • Options
    I vote stroller. I didn’t always want to carry ds. He was also a huge baby so lugging him around was not (and still isn’t) my favorite activity. 
  • Options
    I am a HUGE fan of the Tula
    https://babytula.com
    They are on the higher side between $150-200

I have used this with DD who is 4, and would say she finally grew out of the toddler size. We are huge Disney people and we use it the entire time there and on all of our other travels. I would highly suggest the ones that have mesh as it keeps everyone a little cooler. I loved to baby wear and she always did well in them. Most of the time it is where she went to sleep when we are on trips. It also calms her down when she is having a melt down.
  • Options
    I'm late to the game, but I didn't really have a carrier last time around because DD didn't like them and preferred the stroller. This time around, I know I'm going to need my hands free to care for a toddler, so I picked up a Baby K'tan off Facebook marketplace, and I love it! DD is still only about 23lbs, and she loved to snuggle it in for a little bit. I think I'm going to get my use out of it.

@biolprof - Definitely going to vote stroller. I thought I didn't want one for DD, but I'm so glad I did. It's so helpful and it helped me get out of the house and go walking in the first few months PP.