October 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Babywearing

What carriers have you used and liked, or hated, or been ambivalent about? Why? Do you prefer wraps? Slings? Soft structured? Hard structured? Different carriers for different tasks? Where do you go to get more info? What materials are suitable for your environment, and what brands use them? Do you have other relevant info I’m forgetting?

FTMs: when you look at baby carriers, what’s confusing? Ask away!
TTC History
Me: 38 DH: 52
Started trying June 2018
BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
TTC October 2021
BFP January 2022
MMC March 2022
Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

Re: Product Spotlight: Babywearing

• Loading the player...
  • Cass005Cass005 member
    I didn't so this with DD1 so I am super excited to try it! Any suggestions are welcomed :)
  • We absolutely love the Lillebaby complete. It is really easy to use and adjust. MH and I both wore it a lot. 

I didn’t care for the K’tan as much as I hoped to. The window of use was small before baby was too big for it, and also he was too small for it at first so it was just kind of disappointing that we couldn’t use it as much as I’d wanted too. I’m thinking of trying a different cloth carrier this time around. So following for suggestions on that.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• We had the ergo structured carrier with DD1 and I used it SO MUCH. Like she would fall asleep in it even well past 18 months. It comes with an infant insert and good videos online for back and side carry (side carry was not my favorite). We also had a ring sling but neither kid really enjoyed it much so I passed it on to another family.
    When DD1 turned 2 the ergo seemed to small for comfortable wearing (on the grownup's side - DD1 never complained) so I bought the toddler carrier from Tula. It's also great. 

I don't plan on attempting a ring sling (again) with this one, but I gotta admit the idea of a soft/stetchy carrier to wear around the house does tempt me. I'm going to check our local babywearing library for options.

The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• I tried a ring sling with DS but had no idea what I was doing. 

Later got an Ergo and that was great. We also upgraded to a toddler Tula when DS got bigger and he loved riding in his "Backpack".

I've already got a ring sling (practiced on DS when it was within weight limits) and I'm looking for an onbuhimo for DH since he's got a larger waist than I do (Tula is too small for DH).

I'll probably also buy another Tula when DD gets bigger. 
    TTC #1 6/2011
    BFP #1 10/2012
    DS#1 born 6/2013

TTC#2 12/2013
    BFP#2 2/2019
    TWINS Baby Girl due October 20th, 2019.
       BabyGaga

• +1 for the Ergo. Loved it with infant insert and when baby was older. DS2 fell asleep in it often until he was over a year old. It has great back support!
    +1 for the Baby K'Tan. It's the only wrap I have ever been able to use and get right. Also had a Moby and didn't like it at all. Tried a different off-band one too which was also a no-go. I will stress the Baby K'Tan is really only for wearing around the house. I definitely needed more support whenever I was out and about and wanted to wear baby.
    Ring sling is awesome, but only worked for me when DS2 was very teeny. Once he got even a little big he hated it. So I think it's best for small babies (maybe?).

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @junebabyh definitely kid dependent on what they like! DS1 was in a RS until close to a year
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • I really liked the ring sling with DD was little. I found it super easy to use and comfortable. I even was able to nurse her in it while walking around stores/the zoo lol 

once she got bigger, we switched to the Tula (and still occasionally use it now). I like the Tula. It always felt comfortable and secure. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • With DS I had a moby my SIL passed on to me. I didn't use it much mainly cause I could figure out how to wrap the darn thing for the longest time 😂 when I did use it, it was supportive for little bodies but hot and heavy for me! With DD I had an even Flo and an infantino I had bought both used. I loved the even Flo(I let SIL borrow for Halloween the year her daughter was born and she never gave it back then sold it on me🤬) it was lightweight but supportive for baby and for mom's back. I want one for just around the house though. I love Lillebaby!!! I don't even care the cost, I am buying a Complete All Seasons one! It's so supportive for back, wearable front and back and they're lightweight. I borrowed one from a friend and loved it! I want one for this baby so I can strap my older two in my side by side double and wear the baby when out and about on my own. I have back problems from DDs epidural and I think that one will be nice to my back 😂 plus Target has a cute navy blue feathered print one I've had my eye for a while!

• @galentine Of course! I’m studying these threads like it’s my major in college. 
    Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the Product Spotlight Series, I can post a thread for topics we want covered. Or we could list them in Board Organization. 
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    cmbt2 said:
    elle-0409 said:
    @galentine Of course! I’m studying these threads like it’s my major in college. 
    Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the Product Spotlight Series, I can post a thread for topics we want covered. Or we could list them in Board Organization. 
    Baby proofing
    swings
    strollers
    cribs
    toys/entertaining devices
    Quoting myself to say sound machines as well 😂 there’s so many out there
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Ring slings are my jam! I still wear DS (2.5)occasionally, we didn't even seriously start slinging until he was 8mo old. I love Wildbird for the colors and price. Poppet is soooo soft and has much easier to manage doubles, plus Jacquie donates to a different charity every month as usually voted in by her VIP group. LoveHeld is another favorite, Maranda hand sews each sling herself and does so with absolute love! She also donates a sling for every 10 purchased to caretakers who otherwise can't afford one.

I also love Tula and Happy Baby Carriers! HBC are compact and easily fit into your diaper bag. I find Tula more comfortable and prefer them for longer outings. 

At 2.5 my favorite carrier is our Sakura Bloom Onbuhimo. It's a backpack style carrier with no waistband, so it takes some shoulder strength build up, but it's so compact and it's my son's favorite!

I'm fairly obsessed with babywearing and my stash is absolutely out of control 🙈🤣