Trying to Get Pregnant

TFAS w/o 4/29

Re: TFAS w/o 4/29

• @varimama I've heard such great things about Aldi, but I doubt we'll get one way over here (Oregon) any time soon. Before DD, I didn't ovulate and had to take medication, and even with medication my cycles were generally 34-35 days long. I O'd on CD21 when I got KU with DD. It's possible your cycle has just changed now (I was hoping my body would've changed after pregnancy to ovulate on its own). I've never heard that about light periods (not saying it isn't a thing). In my experience, I just didn't have a period at all because I didn't ovulate. When I didn't have a period for 60 days after stopping BCP, that's when I went to the OB and got my PCOS diagnosis.

@nolemama24 I'm making a note of allll the helmet advice people have given because I can see my DD fighting it super hard too.

@littlebug2010 I totally forgot Corduroy! Such a good one.

I need to add more books. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and Polar Express!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @m6agua hahaha! yes! we have so many similarities. And yes! I talked to the functional medicine doc. All is well. My first appt is 5/7. I am SO excited!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• Loading the player...
  • @m6agua I kept up with all of them until DS. Then I just didn’t have the time. But I’m mostly up to date on all of them! I’m not as big of a DC fan with the movies but Marvel I am obsessed with 
  • @MJDsquared Wait, what???  Dr. Seuss was racist?  That really sucks because DS already loves the books so much!  At least I haven't seen any obvious undertones of it in his books, but that really sucks to know about him!
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @mjdsquared - I bought Spot's Peek-a-boo for DS. It has extra sturdy flaps. They are just an extension of the board book page. 
  • @shamrocandroll We got a ton of Dr Seuss books at our baby shower, and I haven't noticed it in any of them either. I remember reading that The Cat in the Hat was one of the problematic ones, but I haven't read that since childhood (it's not one of the ones we got) so I actually don't recall the plot. I Googled it, and one example is "And to Think What I Saw on Mulberry Street" (don't think I've ever read it) depicting an Asian male character wearing a silk robe and carrying chopsticks and a bowl of rice.
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
  • @MJDsquared Hmm... I've never heard of the Mulberry Street one.  And I'll have to leaf through Cat in the Hat to see if I see anything, but nothing comes to mind...
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll So I found an article that summarizes it well. He actually has a history that includes explicit racism aimed at adults that pre-dates his books. The racism in some books, like Cat in the Hat, is more hidden. (And I never would've noticed it myself, because it's based on something that predates our time. So kids definitely wouldn't get that.)
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
  • @MJDsquared Good to know!  Thanks!  It's tricky to know the background of every major influential person in history like that.  There have been rumors about Walt Disney not being the best human as well, but I think most of that was proven to be unfounded.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll - Moving the convo over here out of respect. I had a lot of time to get ready actually after birth. I had an emergency c-section after starting to push and was put under general because I didn't have an epidural. DD had meconium aspiration and got put in the NICU. I gave birth around 1:30am, and wasn't able to walk around until about 12 noon the next day because of a catheter that the nurse took forever to take out. So plenty of time to fix my hair and put on makeup.

I actually gave birth in my own clothes! Our hospital let me wear whatever as long as it was open for monitoring and an IV. So I bought a black soft robe at Walmart, and all the blood washed out well! I actually wore that robe well into the next day until I could stand enough to change.
  • @marebear15 Good call.  I was starting to feel bad about all of the TW spoilers, but didn't think of moving it over here.  This makes much more sense, thanks!

We almost ended up having to go that route.  I pushed for 4 hours, my water had meconium in it, and DS was diagonally transverse with a 99% head (ouch).  One of my options was an ECS.  We ended up trying for vacuum assist and that got him far enough down that I was able to finally push him out.  So. Much. Blood.  I actually can't believe I'm trying to do this again because of how traumatizing his delivery was, haha.  All I wanted was a shower but they wouldn't let me take one until they took my IV out the next day.  I hope I get the opportunity to have a much easier delivery experience next time!!!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll - That does sound traumatizing. We tried vacuum assist for 3 pushes and it kept falling off because of all her hair! Every contraction kept dropping her heart rate lower and lower, so we eventually did c-section. When she was born, they found the cord had wrapped around her chest so tightly it left a bruise. I'm kind of glad I was out for all of that scare. 
  • Glad you glad you moved the conversation over. I used very little of what was in my hospital bag, but I did use some of it. 

@marebear15 I still haven’t found time to put on makeup 19 months later. I very rarely wear it. Sort of impressed that you were able to do it in the hospital. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @shamrocandroll Girl, I’m sorry. That is traumatizing. Hope you have an easier time next time around. I thought my 36 hours of labor and hour of pushing was bad enough. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • bows22bows22 member
    I didn’t take much in my hospital bag, because I have 1 million been there/done that friends and family and I’m always trying to prevent them from making fun of me for doing “first time mom” things. I’m probably a little too sensitive but I would never admit that to anyone but online stranger friends  :#
  • DS was born on 1/1. I went into birth unexpectedly at a restaurant on NYE at 37 weeks. I was one of those people with no bag packed. I thought first babies went past 40 weeks???? Haha, she showed me. 

I did so many errands today and then went to this food hall (with lots of walking/chasing my toddler) with my family for dinner and I am exhausted. My knees are killing me and I have the worst cramps?!?! (CD 12). What gives. Ready for bed!!! 

• @marebear15 Oh my gosh, so scary!  Haha, DS definitely didn't have the too much hair issue, but it did still pop off a few times (which is a terrifying feeling, btw).  Actually, before he was even out (and before we knew he was a boy), the OB was commenting on his baldness.  C'mon... the poor kid isn't even out yet and he's being made fun of for his big ol' bald dome.  :lol:

@mercury94 I felt so deceived.  Nothing in my birthing class had prepared me for pushing to take that long.  They were all like "Just make it through transition and you'll be done in no time!"  Lies!  This was all after over 24 hours of labor before we got to the point of pushing, too.  I joke that if I am lucky enough to have a second THB, they're probably just going to fall out because of the wide path he cleared.  

@nolemama24 Wow, that's an exciting way to do it!  Everyone told me 1st baby would go past due date, but I refused to believe them.  They checked me the day before my due date and I was already at 4cm!  I went home like "Woo, we're having a baby like... tomorrow!" and then proceeded to walk around at 4cm for the next week before going into labor.  :neutral:
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I waaaaaaaaay overpacked my hospital bag. I also way overpack everything.
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
  • m6aguam6agua member
    I'm pretty sure I overpacked my bag too. I don't even remember what all I had. I think I packed the iPad expecting to watch shows and stuff. Well DD wasn't born until 9:40 pm and we didn't get into our recovery room until about midnight, then the nurses kept coming in to do all the testing and stuff. The time in the hospital after birth is such a blur, all I remember using was my grippy socks, depends, snacks and clothes to go home in.

@shamrocandroll I started dilating around 36 weeks, .5 cm, then 1 cm, 2, etc. By 39 weeks I was 3 cm and she stripped my membranes to 4cm. So I was walking around for weeks dilated as well. I went into labor 3 days later.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @shamrocandroll It’s a funny joke, but also totally happened with my SIL. Her first had a big head and tore her up. Her second fell right out after 2 pushes. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 I would gladly take that after my first :) 

@m6agua I also had my membranes swept at 4cm and STILL NOTHING.  I was so irritated that last week, hahaha!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Guys, I am re-reading my post from last night and I am cringing. THAT is how exhausted I was, haha. I meant to say daughter, not son and I also meant to say I unexpectedly went into LABOR at 37 weeks on NYE. *face palm*

• I stayed up until 2 am the night before to pack my bag because I had a feeling I was going to be admitted after my 39W appointment for preeclampsia (and I was). My problem with my hospital bag was that I still needed to use stuff like pajama bottoms that still fit, contact solution, etc. Next time I'm just going to buy all the stuff and have it ready. I tried to be so frugal the first time around. I didn't use very much in bag. I wish I had packed dry shampoo and face wipes. I didn't shower until right before I left the hospital.  I had been admitted on Tuesday and not able to shower until Saturday. It was miserable feeling that gross, but I was in so much pain after the c-section and they confined me to the bed during labor due seizure risk. 
  • @spacemountaineer Yes!!!  100% team dry shampoo next go around.  I've also since been training my hair to not need daily washing, and I'm down to only 2x/week (Tuesdays and Saturdays, coincidentally, haha), so that should hopefully help next time around.  I did pack Cetaphil face cleansing wipes last time, and they were probably the only thing that saved me from full on swamp monster.  :lol:
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Has anyone else thought about how you'll do your next labor & delivery? Hospital bag, doula, etc.?
  • @spacemountaineer Mostly I've just stressed TF out about if I'll have to stay an extra night (which I actually liked last time because I was a little terrified to go home, but next time being away from DD would be hard) and also if it's flu season and DD won't be able to visit at all!

I do know I'll pack less in my bag. With DD I was having contractions all night every night for days, but not close enough together. When morning came, they would usually go away or spread way further apart. When I tried to go to bed one night I finally decided to call my doctor. I got there and was fully dilated and my water broke when the nurse was checking me. The nurse had to have me stop pushing because I almost delivered before my OB arrived. Sooooooo that has me nervous as well...
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
  • kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited May 2019
    @spacemountaineer I had so much stuff in my hospital bag, most of which went unused. I’ll pack and then take out half of it lol. I didn’t use anything I packed for ds. I had a csection last time so hoping for a natural this time (without drugs and everything). 

Edit to fix tag. I’m in a roll today 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • @spacemountaineer - I'm hoping for a VBAC this time, but every so often I think about a schedule c-section and how much easier that would be (other than the obvious surgery). I'm going to have them break my water at 8cm so I don't stall again.
    I will definitely pack maternity clothes instead of my old clothes. Nothing I brought to the hospital fit me. High-waisted underwear in case I have another c-section and my own pads. I hated the hospital underwear and pads.
    I will probably make DH go home to be with DD at night and get some sleep because he was such a bear from not sleeping well on those stupid couches. I'd rather him be rested to help me during the day and let me nap.
    I'm sure I'll come up with other stuff, but this is what I can think of right now.
  • leksiLleksiL member
    @marebear15 I’m hoping for a VBAC too and have already switched gyn provider to midwives so hopefully if that time comes I’ll be supported. It’s so hard to find a provider to help! 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• @spacemountaineer if I get KU in the near future, the baby would be born while MH is deployed so I am pretty sure I would want to have a doula. I had hoped to not have an epidural with DS but after sitting still in the car for an hour on the way to the hospital then laying still for triage I just couldn’t do it. Next time I hope to avoid an epidural. I hated not being able to control my legs. And I got the shakes really badly. We live 5 minutes from the hospital now so I feel better about that. 
    Oh and next time I’m taking my own shampoo and conditioner. And maybe making my own gown. Because that thing was ugly 
  • @spacemountaineer kinda hoping for another induction next time! I live an hour from the hospital I want to deliver at and while my first labor was pretty long (24 hours including a little over 3 hours of pushing) I’ve heard second babies can come a lot quicker and I don’t want a car baby! I definitely will only pack essentials (no Rocky DVD collection this time) or really anything to keep me busy besides my kindle. If it’s anything like last time I was too anxious to put any of the things to do to use before the baby was born, I was pretty preoccupied while in labor, and after I just wanted baby snuggles. 

Oh I might buy/pack a ridiculously long phone charger. It was a PITA not having my phone near me while charging. Especially while I was waiting on news from DH while he was in the NICU with my son and I wasn’t allowed to get up yet! Oh and I’m going to get some nice stretchy shoes bc last time my feet swelled up huge after labor and I had to leave in just socks and it was really cold. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Anyone else worried about what to do with their older child(ren) while in labor?

I stay home so my son is with me basically all the time. DH or his grandparents watch him for a couple hours from time to time and he does fine but he is pretty attached to me and I guess I am to him as well. I kind of wish he could just be there and maybe go to the waiting room with someone while the actual pushing is happening but idk what hospital policies are. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• mercury94mercury94 member
    edited May 2019
    @varimama I know my hospital allows siblings in the room, but no other kids. DS goes to daycare and loves my mom, so he’ll be with someone during labor, but my nephew was in the room part of the time when his sister was born. You might be able to make that work. 

I’m mostly worried about the birth itself. I had a clitoral tear with DS. It sucked. Not anxious to do that again. Last time I had to be induced because I wasn’t progressing really. I had contractions every 2-3 minutes for a while (several hours), but was still only 1.5 cm. They almost sent me home, but my fluid was low, so they induced. Broke the water when I hit 3 cm and then it moved a bit more quickly. At some point during the night the nurse scolded me for being too loud. That was pretty dumb. Next time they checked me (3 hours later), I was at 10 and ready to push. I think that nurse just didn’t want to help deliver a baby that night. 

Edit it because I’m bad at words. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • m6aguam6agua member
    I hope my next labor & delivery will be similar to my last. With DD it was 7.5 hours from first painful contraction (was all just tightening prior) to delivery. I was able to get the one room with a tub and labored in there and I did two doses of Nubain. I also needed the antibiotics for GBS+ and just barely got it in. I pushed for about 10-30 minutes and she was out.

Next time I hope to avoid the antibiotics and be GBS-, I want to labor in the tub, I hope to avoid Nubain, but will do it again if needed. I definitely don’t want a dose too close to the end. Last time I got the second dose near the end and was pretty out of it. I also would like to not push so hard and fast and let my body do more work in hopes of not tearing. I only had a second degree tear but it still bothers me sometimes. No dula, but will probably do the Lamaze class with DH again as he is the only one in the room.

As for the hospital bag, grippy comfy socks, depends, long phone charger, healthy/clean snacks & food, bone broth, dry shampoo, mascara, brush, toothpaste & deodorant. Probably not much else. I also only live 15 minutes away and my parents are like 2 minutes away so it would be easy to send someone out to get something.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @MJDsquared - I hadn't thought about flu season with a LO. That would be hard.

@kbrown2385 - The only thing I used for DS was his take home outfit and a blanket for the ride home. I guess I wasn't entirely sure as to what was going to be available at the hospital. I hope you're able to follow your plan.

@marebear15 - I packed enough underwear in case I did have a c-section (3 days stay), but it was the low cut kind that went right across my incision. :neutral: I definitely had to run out a grab higher waste underwear after going home. I packed maternity jeans and a top for going home last time. I ended up going home in pj bottoms and slippers. No shame. I sent DH home most nights so that he could be well rested. He even went to a car show with his dad one of those nights (he did talk it over with me first. Not quite sure what I was thinking. Probably still out of it from drugs).  I can understand the benefits of a repeat c-section. It is nice to have the date set, but recovery is awful (although I've heard it much easier the second time). 

@leksiL - that's awesome you've already found a new provider. I need to do that. My old obgyn has already told me she won't support a vbac/tolac. 

@MrsJessS - I can definitely see a doula being helpful in that situation. I did use my own toiletries and that was nice. I have been considering my own gown too (if I get the ones I'm considering, i'd probably use them to sleep in at home). I've also considered getting a nice robe (like this or this). Also I want better nursing bras next time around. I'm glad getting to the hospital will be easier for you next time.

@varimama - I'm a sahm as well. DH is usually the one who reads DS stories and sings to him before bed. So I am not worried about DS not sleeping well without me there. My in-laws are also a mile away and DS loves spending time at their house. He asks to go there almost everyday. 

It has nothing to do with L&D, but something I am concerned about is we have three bedrooms upstairs (and a very small bedroom downstairs that serves as our storage room. Not really big enough for an actual bedroom). Right now we have a queen in the third bedroom acting as a guest bedroom. I'd love to have a comfortable place for my parents to stay, but I'm worry about keeping DS in the nursery after the baby is born. I plan on the baby being in with DH and me for the first few months. I guess I'm worried DS will see the baby kicking him out of his current room if I move him after the baby is born. The third bedroom is much bigger than the nursery and ideal for an older sibling. It's going to be tricky.

@mercury94 - I worry about the birth too. I had nightmares about mine & future pregnancies being just like it. I realize others' pregnancies were worse than mine, but it was a bit traumatic for me. I also faced quite a few complications afterwards. That's strange/sad the nurse came in and scolded you. There was a lady on the same maternity wing as me that was walking the halls screaming. Nobody said anything to her. 

@m6agua - sounds like a good plan and that you've thought it through.

• Sorry I’ve been MIA. I’m on the emotional roller coaster and I know something is wrong. My OB just went on leave, but I’m calling for the RE referral today after a big temp drop and cramps at 8 dpo. If I’m lucky enough to get KU, it’s going to be a RCS delivery. DS had a 15 inch head and several docs have said I’m “petite” down there. After a 43 hour labor and emergency CS, I was in the hospital for 5 total days and I just don’t want to stay that long or risk a rupture. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @mercury94 I’m sorry you had a nurse scold you, that’s not ok. @spacemountaineer that’s awesome your DS likes his grandparents house. Mine loves his grandparents but doesn’t go to their house much bc their dog isn’t good with kids and they won’t leave their dog for more than a couple hours so they won’t stay at our place. Also we have the same house setup! I think our plan will be to move DS a couple months before new baby. Anyone staying will have to stay at a hotel 🤷🏻‍♀️
    EDD 11/24/23

• @NYTino24 I’m so sorry, I hope you get good information from an RE! My guy had a big head too, I forget the measurement but remember seeing on his paperwork it was 96th percentile. My OB had just called to get an OR ready for us when I gave a huge push and he was almost out. I ended up needing an episiotomy and vacuum assist though.
    EDD 11/24/23

• @spacemountaineer omg yes on the nursing bra! I didn’t own one until a week after DS was born because it was just super overwhelming to me somehow lol. I see some so I have been browsing different options for hospital gowns and I’m working on a pretty bathrobe/dressing gown right now that I would think about remaking longer. Maybe with a coordinating baby gown. Granted I never get these things done...just buy fabric and tell myself how nice it’ll look someday 😂

@mercury94 oh my goodness I would have lost it at that nurse! I am so sorry that happened to you!

@varimama I definitely worry about what I am going to do with DS. My in laws live two hours away but are extremely unreliable. 98% chance they would ditch him are home to try to come see me giving birth. I wish I was joking. But I have really good friends in my moms running group that I would trust to keep him so I’m hoping they don’t move before I get KU/have a baby! One should have two more years here so I’m counting on that hahaha 
  • @NYTino24 I think reaching out to the Re is a good idea. My obgyn brushed off my spotting for multiple days before and after af. Now with an re, since we’ve been trying for 11 mo, I’m discovering that I had an infection from when I delivered dd back in February 2017...and bc of that infection, my tubes have been making pregnancy an impossibility for me. (Going in today to have a camera show us exactly what the damage is.) I had a total textbook pregnancy and no complications. In fact, I only pushed for 15 minutes and out came dd. Not sure how an infection occurred. Anyway, I hope someone listens and you have a quick and easy fix.