August 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: General Nursery Decor

Hi all! Now that we have the serious stuff out of the way in our Nursery Series (we have discussed cribs, rocking chairs/gliders, and big furniture items; along with more general nursery discussions), let's indulge in the more frivolous side: how are you going to decorate those sweet little baby rooms and what products do you want to recommend and showcase for other moms?

What are some general decor items you feel complete your room? Some that come to mind are rugs, throw pillows, blankets, curtains, wall decor (pictures, posters, decals, or paint brand/colors), and lighting choices. Are there any brands you recommend for those items? Website sources? Shopping guidelines? Things to avoid?

Or rather than having products as a starting point, what is your theme and what products did the theme lead to? How about color scheme, and what products help strategize the development of that theme or color scheme? Or, do you have an awesome array of hand-me-down products and want advice on how to put it all together or create a theme out of it? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: General Nursery Decor

• I have not quite decided what to do with the nursery this time. Walls will be grey and furniture will be white. When DD was a baby we just went with a pink and brown theme, nothing too exciting. The nursery, which we still have not moved DS out of is currently a nautical theme. If we have another boy I will probably just leave it. 

We go fairly simple on decor. There are navy blue curtains in the room that block out a lot of light. We have a few small decor items, all gifts, on the dresser. There is a white table lamp that was really only used when DS was a baby. We have a wall decal with a quote from Peter Pan hanging above the crib/toddler bed. Then there is a set of 4 nautical themed canvas prints above the changing table. If we have a girl I will likely just change the curtains, sheets, etc... To something more girly. Then will swap the wall decal and canvas prints for more girly versions. 

For nursery/kids room decor my go to's are etsy, hobby lobby, target and amazon. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• hemlheml member
    We’re doing very little because we’re just putting the crib in our guestroom with a queen bed, but I registered for an RBG print and another “girl power” type print that we’ll hang up. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Still going all out for Kid 3. This kids theme is foxes. I've made one string art thing and have another one planned. Painted a few pictures already and his name which are on the wall. At least 2 more pictures will be painted. Made the crib skirt. In process of making 2 quilts and a few smaller blankets.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• For DS we printed a few cottage animal pics that we had taken at my parents' place previously (turtle,  chipmunk,  baby woodpecker) onto hard backs/plaques from Costco.  We got a few narrow shelves (like,  long and only a couple inches thick out from the wall) Put the cottage pics on a shelf above the crib.  Put 2 parallel shelves above the change table.  Stickers went under the bottom one to catch DS's attention during changes, and on the shelves themselves went a few books,  woodland string art I made, a couple stuffed toys within the woodlands animal theme (frog,  bunny,  sheep), and filled in the gaps with his precious little baby shoes 😍

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• We're planning to paint the nursery room (current guest room) this particular color teal as seen here: https://projectnursery.com/projects/haydens-girly-teal-nursery/#_a5y_p=3627614

That look is my general inspiration except without the pink accents. I'm thinking a black and white rug (currently room is carpeted but we're taking out carpet and putting in high end wood look vinyl, hopefully soon), white furniture. We are going to rearrange the room and switch out the current queen bed frame for a smaller profile one. The plan is we will likely sleep in room with baby as opposed to baby sleeping with us (although we may start in our room and then swap to baby's room). This should help baby acclimate to his own crib more easily and also our room is the coldest room in the house due to being over the garage and also a small number of windows for the room size - won't be an issue in August and early fall but over the winter it's hard to regulate temperature well in our room.

In terms of decoration I have some baby tiger prints I have my eye on - Tiger is baby's middle name. I don't plan to go crazy decorating because I'm not a great decorator  :D
  • @MamaK225 oooh!  Do you have a pic of the Up nursery?

our theme is elegant princess.  Colors are pink, gold, and white.  I found some print on Etsy of Cinderella’s castle, carriage, and glass slipper to put up. And we’re putting up a cornice with fabric draping down. 
  • For a while I've struggled with finding the perfect nursery theme and trying to get everything coordinated, but just can't settle on what I wanted. We've at least settled on gray walls (paint colour TBD -- if any of you ladies have grays that you love, lemme know!) and white furniture, but decor is still up in the air. DH wants colour in the room and voted for making it look like a skittles bag had thrown up in the room. I'm not on board with that level of colour, but I'm happy to have some pops of colour throughout. We'll likely go for window treatments in some form of navy blue. My current thought is that we'll go with exploration/adventure/wanderlust because I love travel, but based on how this has been going I could completely change my mind by next week. Etsy has been my go-to for finding things.
    Some things I've liked:
  • cato99cato99 member
    I've mentioned before that our general nursery theme is "woodland." The color scheme is white, bright green, and brown with a few pink accents. We are going to be moving this baby boy in with DD so we will keep that theme going and just add to it to give his own individual touches--a couple of sky blue color accents, and hopefully some woodland animal that can represent him. DD's symbol animal is an owl so there are a lot of owl accents currently. The leading name for this baby is Frederick so a sweet option would be a mouse for the Frederick the Mouse storybook, but a mouse doesn't feel like a great theme animal!

-The walls are white with this birchwood and owl decal set: you can choose your colors so I have those shades of brown for the tree trunks, but the leaves are bright green and bright pink. I want to see if I can order a set of leaves in sky blue to add in honor of this baby. That whole Etsy store has beautiful decal sets and I highly recommend it!
    -I mentioned in the last thread that we have a futon with this woodsy green and brown cover on it, these pink and green accent pillows, and this ottoman in bright green to go with it (as substitute for a glider+footrest).
    -a big white shag rug in the middle of the room
    -pink and white laundry hamper with an owl design (couldn't find the link on Amazon so it may be discontinued)
    -this owl mobile over the changing table

We have light shimmery green black-out curtains to hang up in the room but never got around to it. We'll definitely do it this time around as summer approaches!
  • I have a feeling the nursery will look like a hunting club.  Guns on the wall, deer antlers everywhere.  
  • Lotus_2008Lotus_2008 member
    edited May 2019
    @lovelikestardust Re: your question about gray paint colors...Sorry it has taking me so long to respond. I couldn't remember the colors and kept forgetting to look at the leftover paint cans!  :D  
    LO's room is painted Sherwin Williams Functional Gray. It is a little bit of a warmer gray, which is exactly what I was looking for. I will say that it tends to get a little dark in the afternoons (the room faces east) but I think for afternoon naps, it will be fine. 
    We also have Sherwin Williams Collonade Gray in our living room, kitchen and hallways (open concept house). I am very happy with it because it is a lighter warm gray that goes well in a lot of different settings. It can look a little beige-y in the afternoon, but it doesn't bother me.
    GL picking a color!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Lotus_2008 Thanks! I think those are beautiful, but DH wants a gray on the lighter side. The nursery is north-facing, and finding a colour we both like that works with that lighting has been tricky. I thought I had settled on Benjamin Moore Bunny Gray, but then DH was all, "that's too purple" and then I couldn't unsee the purple undertones. :(