September 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight 4/5: Diaper Bags

Happy Friday 🖤

Time to talk diaper bags. Do you go for function or style (or both!)? What do you keep/plan to keep in your diaper bag? Share and discuss ☺️. 

Re: Product Spotlight 4/5: Diaper Bags

• I hated my previous diaper bad.  It was messenger style.  I just felt like it couldn't fit much and things were hard to find.  I think I am going to just go with a back pack style this time. 
  • I don't have experience with this, but I'm wanting a backpack style that doesn't scream diaper bag. Any recommendations would be great! 
  • Loading the player...

• We went for unisex and functionality! We only got one diaper bag and it’s a backpack. It literally looks like a regular old black backpack, but it’s got special “baby” like compartments - spot for paci, convienent wipe pouch in the front, changing pad, etc. We LOVE the backpack. DH usually wears it when we’re out because I’m usually wearing DS. I have worn both and I survived. 

During the newborn weeks/months I kept a change of clothes in there for me and DS, diapers, wipes, lotion, spit up rags, emergency paci, etc. I also kept some piddle pads (like, those pads for puppy training) and antibacterial gel in there. 

FWIW, I have a very small cross-body purse that I switched to once DS arrived. I keep the bare minimum in there and if I need to bring something else (not that I ever do), I’ll just throw it in the diaper bag. 
  • janat1717janat1717 member
    edited April 2019
    @kgg2241 My husband's favorite product comparison page just did diaper bags. This was a runner up. Couple pockets on outside, a couple on the inside. I'm sure 18 pockets are nice but this definitely feels less diaper bag like. Should be durable too. 
    https://www.rei.com/product/112973/patagonia-lightweight-travel-tote-pack
  • I have had four diaper bags. The winner? My Skip Hop backpack. I still use it and my kids have been potty trained for a long time. 
  • I LOVE the jujube diapers bags. I have the backpack style and the BFF that can be a backpack or crossbody. Backpack style is definitely the way to go. Hands free is key! I have both bags in black and then I have the polka dot accessories to match. They have so many cute patterns and fun accessories to go with the bags. They had me at the matching accessories! I also love that they don’t scream “diaper bag.” Definitely worth  checking out. They do sales often on their website. I believe buy buy baby sells some of their things online and you can use a coupon to them too. Nordstrom sells them too!

https://www.jujube.com/

• After several diaper bags, both style-based and function-based, I am planning on getting the Vianetic bag this time around. I also did love the bag I got for #2 which was Timi and Leslie and didn’t look diaper-bag-ish at all. The Vianetic functionality looks SO beyond anything I’ve seen before, so I’m hoping it’s a win. 

https://www.thevianetic.com/shop/diaper-backpack-bundle-16l/

• I started out with a Skip Hop messenger style diaper bag and ended up not liking it. It was stiff, felt small and I couldn't fit everything I needed in there well. I had bought H a Diaper Dude bag since it was just plain black and ended up stealing it for myself. It was way more comfy to wear, held more stuff and the zippers were better quality. All that being said, I am going to use a back pack diaper bag this time. I baby wear a lot and it's really hard to do with a bag on your shoulder. Plus, I just think it'll fit more stuff. 

Thinking about going with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Capacity-Multi-Function-Waterproof-Jewelvwatchro/dp/B0719H286C/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1N8FX2WA0ODB8&keywords=land+diaper+backpack&qid=1554485141&s=gateway&sprefix=Land+,aps,185&sr=8-13
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Agree with the backpack recommendations! We just ended up using a regular backpack that we already had, using stuff stacks and that kind of thing to keep things organized. Can definitely see that some of the specialized pockets etc the diaper bags have would be useful, but this was an area we were pretty sure we could economize and it worked for us.
  • crs89crs89 member
    edited April 2019
    @monkeysmom80 This is exactly what I did! My husband and I both got a diaper bag the first time around, mine was cute and messenger style while my husband's is a functional, backpack style.  Needless to say, we eventually just started carrying his because it's so much better.  It can fit more and when I have my hands full with a kiddo and the million other things I have to carry, its nice not to have to worry about the messenger style bag slipping off my shoulder.  Backpack is the way to go! I've been looking into a really cute floral one on Amazon that looks like it will fit sooooo much! Here it is in case anyone else is interested! 

@kgg2241 This style also comes in plain solid colors and patterns so it's unisex and doesn't necessarily look like a diaper bag.  Just a backpack! 

https://www.amazon.com/CoolBELL-Backpack-Insulated-Water-Resistant-Multi-Functional/dp/B074DRLXNG/ref=pd_ybh_a_176?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=22A0GPCX6GWJTA0DEH30&th=1
    Me: 29  H: 30
    Married: 4/27/13 
    BFP: 9/16/2014 * EDD: 5/25/2015 * M/C: 10/29/14 @ 10w2d 
    BFP: 1/25/2015 * EDD: 9/27/2015 * DS: 10/3/15
    BFP: 1/13/19 * EDD: 9/28/2019

• Loving all these suggestions! Thanks ladies!
  • Just wanted to add that my husband has his own diaper bag which is a backpack style. He has this one— https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Summit-Rush-Backpack-Diaper/dp/B00P8N7IF4
    This way I could keep my bag feminine and also can keep it organized how I want haha

• I had a lug shoulder bag for my first and liked all the pockets to keep stuff organized but didn’t like that it made me lopsided or it kept falling off my shoulder. I have a backpack style in my amazon cart and with all these suggestions it looks like it will be purchased! It’s just plain black so hubby will be ok carrying it too. Then I just have a wrist wallet that can fit my phone and such and will throw that in the backpack or just take that if I’m heading out without the kids. 
  • My hub is a veteran, so he really wanted to support a vet owned company. He currently likes this backpack:
    https://highspeeddaddy.com/collections/hsd-diaper-bag-backpacks
    And I'm thinking I may want one for myself. I was debating on if that made sense? But since we are having 2, I'm thinking there will be plenty of times where we each have a kid and 2 would make sense. 
  • @cheshyre319 does he have access to a local base? My husband bought a camo bag at the BX on base here and it has TONS of pockets, super spacious, waterproof, ALL the things. I steal it as a diaper bag all the time. It’s so functional.
  • @kiddiesandkitties Technically, yes. Logistically, no. That bag sounds amazing though!
    (I have my fingers crossed that he gets recalled to the Clearwater, FL unit. It would make him so much more pleasant)
  • @cheshyre319 -OMG, we LOVE Clearwater! I wish we could move there! This is the bag. I’m sure they sell them online somewhere too! 
  • I had the Kate Spade Stevie with my first. It was ok. It was beautiful and had a lot of space, but lacked different pockets for organization. It was also a little too big. And I hated that the drop on the handles wasn’t bigger because I had a hard time getting it over my shoulder, especially in winter. 

I dont know what I’ll get this time. I was thinking of the basic SkipHop bag. Don’t know it’s name, ha. I know backpacks a great for holding stuff and keeping them out of the way but I don’t really love using a backpack. 
  • I’m in the backpack club too :) 
    I just used a backpack that I found at Marshalls, & since it doesn’t have a lot of pockets, I use clear zip bags like these which actually makes it really easy to stay organized. Plus, let’s say I’m at a restaurant and don’t want to lug the whole bag to the bathroom to change a diaper, I just have to take the small pouch with the diaper essentials with me. Also, if DH is grabbing something for me, I just say it’s in the green zipper pouch instead of him digging through a bottomless pit or tons of pockets which gets men easily annoyed. 😆

• This is probably a dumb question but what's the difference between a pump backpack and a diaper backpack? I found this bag I love, but idk how functional it'll be as a diaper bag since I'm a first time mom...

https://www.target.com/p/bananafish-striped-breast-pump-backpack-blue-white/-/A-52777547

• @nightdreamr13 a pump bag is exactly that - just for your pump! The pump can be a PITA to carry around with its cords and flanges and connectors and bottles and a little cooler bag and a bra and various plugs and whatever else. So it’s nice to have a designated pump bag to pack all the crap and never forget any of the junk on your way out the door. Totally not functional as a diaper bag - they’re definitely two separate animals!
  • Well boo! This one was so cute! And it looked much bigger than a pump would be! Thought I had one thing that just came easily!
  • UFJenUFJen member
    @cheshyre319 oh I've been wanting a backpack this time and my husband is a vet too, he would love those! this would convince him we need a new bag