Babies on the Brain

Feel selfish asking this but....self-care?

I am asian-american, and learned a lot from my mom who stayed with us the first month after our LO was born - essentially in many eastern cultures the focus is opposite what we are taught in here - they emphasize recovery and health of the mother (especially diet...I was fed a lot of specific dishes that were designed to aid in the healing of the body). The idea behind that is that having a baby is an extremely taxing event for the mother, and a lot of nutrients leave her body after the birth which then must be replenished. 

We are thinking of having another baby but this time I am considering focusing a bit more on my own nutrition, as well finding time to rest and practice self-care during recovery. Moms, am I alone in thinking this way?

Re: Feel selfish asking this but....self-care?

• No! I think it is absolutely crazy that our postnatal care is basically one follow-appointment 6 weeks later. It makes zero sense to me. I’m not really sure why women see expected to be magically healed physically and mentally from the baby’s love alone. 
  • whew! so i'm not alone! 
    i don't think i'll have the luxury of having my mother or MIL after the second baby so i'm trying to anticipate "hacks" this time around. any suggestions on nutrition (i don't think i can do any more chicken fingers and frozen veggie bowls) or mom-focused postnatal care groups, resources.....podcasts even?!
  • Loading the player...
  • @victoriag16 I’ve always tried to make big crockpot meals, enough to have tons of leftovers. I would also make a huge pot of oatmeal and eat that for days, carrot sticks with hummus, bagged salad kits, olives with cheese, I sometimes will make a large pot of quinoa and then mix in black beans with cheese and that lasts for a few days too.. but honestly... I usually end up eating like garbage because it’s just easier.