Trying to Get Pregnant

Positive Pregnancy Test, Inconclusive Blood Test

Hi, my bf and I have been trying to conceive for awhile now. On March 12, I took a Clear Blue digital test and it came back positive. I took a few more tests of different brands (ClinicalGuard test strips from Amazon and First Response) and those all came back positive as well. 

On March 17th I went for a blood test. It came back inconclusive with only 10 mIU/mL found in my blood. 

I took a few more pregnancy tests and they came back negative or very very faint positive. 

I am scheduling an appt with my OBGYN, but I still am curious if anyone has any idea as to  what could have caused this because I thought it takes weeks for HCG to leave your body? Could it really go down from 25 mIU/mL + (standard level for most pregnancy tests to show a positive) to a 10 mIU/mL in just 5 days? 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

Re: Positive Pregnancy Test, Inconclusive Blood Test

• Hi, my bf and I have been trying to conceive for awhile now. On March 12, I took a Clear Blue digital test and it came back positive. I took a few more tests of different brands (ClinicalGuard test strips from Amazon and First Response) and those all came back positive as well. 

On March 17th I went for a blood test. It came back inconclusive with only 10 mIU/mL found in my blood. 

I took a few more pregnancy tests and they came back negative or very very faint positive. 

I am scheduling an appt with my OBGYN, but I still am curious if anyone has any idea as to  what could have caused this because I thought it takes weeks for HCG to leave your body? Could it really go down from 25 mIU/mL + (standard level for most pregnancy tests to show a positive) to a 10 mIU/mL in just 5 days? 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

QFP 🤦
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Loading the player...

• Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Okay. Wow, some of you people are so rude! I genuinely just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience and what happened to them. I’ve never been pregnant before so I obviously don’t know what to expect. Shame on you. 
  • ruby696ruby696 member
    edited March 2019
    @kayleenicolerichie Like @holly321 said, it sounds like you had a chemical pregnancy. 10 miU/mL is still considered pregnant (5 or under is considered normal), but if your levels are decreasing that's indicative of a loss. It usually does not take hCG very long to leave your system when you're that early into a pregnancy. If you have other questions, you may want to introduce yourself over at the TTCAL board in the child loss section. 

ETA: I'm also sorry for your loss.
  • Okay. Wow, some of you people are so rude! I genuinely just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience and what happened to them. I’ve never been pregnant before so I obviously don’t know what to expect. Shame on you. 
    Qfp 
  • @kayleenicolerichie a lot of woman here haven’t been pregnant before.  And honestly no one knows what YOU should expect with YOUR body.  

Tw Tw I have been pregnant many times and dealt with several losses, all of which have been completely different than the one before.  My most recent was a chemical pregnancy, I had positive tests on Friday, blood work drawn on a monday and started bleeding on Wednesday.  My Monday level was a 7.  
    But the time before that, my HCG was 16,000 a week after my d&c, dropped for about a month then I traumatically delivered a mass tumor out of the blue on the way to work and my levels rose.  No one saw that one coming. 
  • *lurking*

I believe the half life of hcg is something like 2 days...so if its 10,000, 2 days ish later it should be 5000, etc... it does go quickly, also know this from experience. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18