August 2019 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 3/25

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms 3/25

• Options
    Random question for you ladies....

Does anyone have any great recipes for cake/brownies/cookies in a jar? I was thinking it might be a neat, more personal "prize" for baby shower games.

I've googled a bunch, but I'm hoping for personal experiences. And I can't figure out if cookies, cake or brownies would be better. Or if it's just a terrible idea in general.

No peanuts please...as I would die around that lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Twinkiedoll oof, childcare costs are no joke, and yours seem crazy high! I know a formal daycare in my area costs around $1350 for infant care. My H and I spent several hours in the car yesterday and went through our options... I think our best choice (that is somewhat affordable) is a combination of a nanny 20hrs/week, me being off one weekday and working a half day on Saturdays, and help from both of our moms on my other work days... DS will go to preschool 3 half days/week. With the free help from our moms we will still be paying about $1300/month but that’s still far better than two in full-time daycare. I just keep thinking how lucky we are to have some free help plus decent jobs and it’s still so stressful to find affordable options. I don’t know how others, without our same support, make it work. 
  • Options
    We pay $215 per week for daycare.  Its crazy, the newborn area will be $230 per week.  That's if prices don't go up, which they usually do any time now.  

Do we have a thread on daycare discussion/questions to be asking - or is it too late for that. I cant remember when people usually start getting their spots. should be asap. 

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    Just wanted to say "hi." I had a stressful beginning of the week and have been playing catch up ever since.  My daughter was having problems with coughing fits worsening since she had the flu so we are now on nebs and she's doing a lot better.  They are thinking allergies exacerbating already inflamed airways from so many illnesses in the last month, not necessarily asthma, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that she didn't inherit my asthma.  

@Twinkiedoll That is insanely expensive! 
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 I'm glad it sounds like there's no issue with it affecting baby! 
  • Options
    @Twinkiedoll - I feel you.  We had previously been in corporate daycare (as in, provided by DH's employer) but it's too far now that I've moved job and DD1 will be in K, so we had to go through this process.  We ended up getting the daycare we wanted, but it is super expensive (since corporate is subsidized).  I had a bit of a panic attack a few weeks ago when I started to realize our monthly childcare costs with 3 kids. 

@moon1417 - In some thread somewhere (maybe a group check in??) there was a list of questions to ask.  If I can find it, I'll tag you.  I'm always up for additional daycare discussions, however, since we've had such positive experiences. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @Peachy0709 that would be great!  I just tried to search for it, but didn't find it.  Does anyone else have trouble using the board search button? it says that it's only going to look in this BMB but it brings up everything under the sun every time I've tried to use it. 

Me 32 <3 H 33

• Options
    @moon1417 - I've also had issues trying to use the search button (i.e. I tell it this board, but it brings up all this rando stuff).

I'm thankful childcare in our area is super reasonable - though once you get to 2 or 3 kids it does seem insanely high - BUT I'll be damned if NO ONE does infant care. I called the day I hit the 2nd Trimester and it seems these heifers called as soon as they got a +. I'm pretty pissed, but we'll see. Maybe one will go extra late and I can snag her spot. Serves her right for taking up a spot before she should have. Seriously, though, places around here have waitlists of 2+ years. I don't even know what I'm doing 6 months from now, let alone 2 years. It's just crap. Rant over.

Gross random: apparently 20 weeks is when preggo swamp ass starts. And it's not even "warm" yet. It's gonna be a loooooooooong spring/summer. :| 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @moon1417 I think the threads you are looking for are this one and this one.

But I think starting a dedicated day care thread is a great idea. Even if people have already found, it would be nice to hear other peoples stories. Thankfully we're all set this time (knock on wood) but with DS#1 we ended up finding a childcare solution a week before I was scheduled to go back, and then she resigned 6 months later. It was super stressful.
  • Options
    Is it crass that I'm so very curious about childcare costs across the country?!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @MamaK225 it seems we have a 3 tiered waiting list for our daycare. These are not officially what they are, but we've had this experience with both of the other kids so far and it seems like its the process, even if it isnt the "real" process.

Tier 1 is - get your name on the list as soon as you piss hot. This gets you on a preliminary list.
    Tier 2 is - once you are within 3 months of needing care, you get put on a "awaiting care" list.
    Tier 3 is - once the baby is born, you have to register the kid officially and you get put the official "waiting list".

Of course, being a military daycare, there are different priorities. Active duty of course the highest priority and can bump ANYONE down a notch. We are the second to last priority. With DD1 we lucked out and got a slot about 2 weeks before we could go (needed shots but was too young), but of course you have to pay to hold. With DD2, we got bumped 6 times, even though we moved up a priority due to having a sibling there already. We had to find alternate care for 6 months. And for all 6 months of that, we didnt know when or even IF we would get a slot. It's madness.

We didnt even bother with getting on the list yet for this kid. Nothing truly "counts" until the kid is born as far as rank (which we found out with DD2), so why bother. I'm sure Ill start stressing about it around when the kid is born though! 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @peachy0709 when I lived in DC, my oldest when to a NAEYC certified school and it was $575 A WEEK. So $2,491 a month. We live in Ohio now and for three kids, an infant, a toddler, and a kid in school full time, daycare would cost us $790 a week. We pay our nanny plus the tax liability and it's about the same amount. I am so tired of it. 
  • Options
    @lilmamabebe3 - I can't imagine DC anymore.  DH and I met there and lived there for a few years before we got married and it was getting pricey at that time - 10 years later, I've got to imagine it's just crazy. 

I particularly think I'm fascinated because we live in the South and I think people assume childcare must be relatively less expensive, but because we're in a major metro area, it's on par with what I see for other similarly situated cities.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @peachy0709 I find it interesting too! We are in Ohio and pay $210/week for full-time toddler care. Our facility does not have an infant room so it’s not an option for next year. We use an independent daycare that has been in our community forever. It certainly isn’t fancy but it is well loved with quality teachers who have been there for years. I know some of the more “premier” daycares run well over $1000/month, especially for infants. 

@moon1417 I love the idea of a thread devoted to this— wondering if it can be a general childcare questions/discussion thread rather than just daycare. We are seriously considering hiring a nanny and I’d love more insight from fellow group members about that process!
  • Options
    @jmesue1030   - that's  a great point - I will change the title of the thread I created

Me 32 <3 H 33

• Options
    @sourlemon - I feel those three tiers are the 3 types of moms. LOL. But yeah, that's what's going on around here. I don't wish anything on anyone, but I wish I could live with the freedom of care about thinking a positive stick at 29 days will translate to a healthy birth. At our place, there's an external waitlist and an internal one. Siblings get higher priority, so since we already have one in there, we should be getting priority. From what DH told me (I handed off the task to him because I was so heated about it), there are two others due "within days" of me. So I'm kind of in limbo because ... does it change if I deliver a week or two before they do and I'm available to start earlier? Or is it truly first come, first serve? It's just frustrating. We've also considered moving to the town we work in (20 mi from where we live), but there is literally NO childcare for kids under 6 months. Which I just can't fathom.

@peachy0709 - We're live in a large town (surrounded by very rural areas) in SC and it's pretty reasonable here: about $135/wk for infants if you provide everything, $165/wk for places that provide formula & diapers/wipes. Changes to $125/wk for Toddlers-4 y.o. Not sure what it is for before- or after-school care. They allow kids up to 4th grade (school-aged kids are in a separate building) to attend. My SIL is in the suburbs of Denver and her son (from infancy to now-4) went to an in-home place and it was still $400/wk.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    TwinkiedollTwinkiedoll member
    edited March 2019
    @peachy0709 We live in Hawaii. We were lucky enough to find an in-home daycare person close to our house.  She charges $800 a month, which is the "market" price for that sort of setup and is the cheapest daycare option there is.  In August, our toddler will be 2 years old, and we FINALLY got off the waitlist for this subsidized preschool in town so that will only be $930 a month.  Generally, preschools for toddlers cost 1400-1700 a month.  There are some "elite" ones that cost more.

The problem is that there are no good in-home daycares in downtown where I work/where DD's preschool will be.  So it's either do drop off and pick up in two very different locations.  Or find a daycare in town and pay $1600-2K a month (which means our childcare would be $3K a month for two kids).  The in-home daycares don't really do a waitlist.  They just say, "call a month before you need care and I'll tell you if I have space," so it's not something we can count on having once November rolls around.

• Options
    I'm probably late to this, but I just found out Angie Thomas has a new book!! I just put a hold on it, now to find time to read it...
  • Options
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    @suzycupcake, that is so cool!

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    @cmessamore Oh my! That sounds so scary!!! I’m glad you are doing better, although it sounds like still on the mend. I hope you have some help with your older kids so you can take some tome to rest!!!
  • Options
    @cmessamore, wow that’s so scary. I’m glad you’re doing better and on the mend. Gets lots of rest! 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    @cmessamore oh my gosh that sounds horrendous! So scary! I'm so sorry you went through that! I'm glad it wasn't a stroke or menengitis! Migraines are AWFUL! I hope you will be pain and symptom free soon!
    Good through coming your way!
  • Options
    @cmessamore huge hugs. That’s terrifying! So glad it has subsided, and wasn’t anything more urgent. You deserve a peaceful and uneventful remainder of your pregnancy!!
  • Options
    @cmessamore I’m so sorry you went through that! Hoping things only get better from here!
  • Options
    @cmessamore Wow- I hope you’re feeling better & are able to rest for a few more days. 
  • Options
    @cmessamore I'm so sorry you went through that.. I'm glad you're feeling better and hoping all the pain goes away soon, hugs ❤️
  • Options
    @cmessamore wow!  That’s so scary!  I’m glad you’re feeling better!
  • Options
    @cmessamore Holy crap on a cracker! That is a heck of a scary string of symptoms! I'm glad you're feeling better now, definitely keep taking it easy. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @cmessamore I’m just getting caught up on the boards for the last few days - gosh im so sorry! That I should beyond scary. I’m glad you are home, resting, and feeling better!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @aevan011i had ruffles for dinner they were delicious but my 10 yr old told DH on me 😒😆