August 2019 Moms

Re: FFFC w/o 3/22

• Loading the player...
  • @Beauxbaton 😂😂 this sounds like something I would do. I gave up on pants a while back. Long dresses are my jam. Yes, long dresses because I’m not shaving everyday. That may change when the pool opens, or it may not. IDGAF - I wish somebody would say something about the hairy pregnant lady. Sorry. I’m in a mood today. 😒
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    @mkrel I don't really judge, as long as they're meeting baby's needs. I know a woman who trained all three of her children to be on a schedule and they were STTN by three months old. As someone who's daughter didn't STTN until 13 months I definitely wish I could have had the determination to follow suit! 
  • @mkrel I'm not very well initiated, so what is involved in this very early sleep training? Is it literally not feeding them when they want to eat or is it not waking a sleeping baby to feed it? My sister's pediatrician told her to wake the baby up every two hours at night to feed her when she was a newborn. My niece was normal weight, not premature, and a good eater. I found it a little nutty to wake a baby up that frequently through the night and I think for myself I'd let the baby sleep a little longer if the baby was sleeping. I would definitely feed a hungry newborn though. 
  • @zamora_spin that does sound nutty. My doctor said wake the baby every 3-4 hours but usually they didn't last 4 hours. That only lasts the first, I think it was 4 weeks assuming they were gaining at a healthy rate. Then you can just feed when they wake up.
    Different people mean different things with sleep training, but typically it's a method to encourage the baby to not need to wake up/eat as often.
    We established a bedtime at 4 months and started STTN training at 6 months. Both times after consulting the pediatrician that the boys were ready for it from an age/weight perspective.
  • aecmaecm member
    @zamora_spin - I was originally told to feed my kid every 2hrs around the clock...and I didn’t find that sustainable for very long. I think it’s one thing if your kid is waking up hungry, and something else if you’re having to set alarms (which was my case). We quickly moved to every 3hrs overnight (w/ pediatrician approval) and not long after went to every 4hrs overnight.

As far as schedules go in general...I feel like your priority first needs to be what works for your kid, then what will keep you sane. My kid has always been happier with a somewhat regimented daily schedule, and because it’s what kept her happy it’s also what kept me happy. That was particularly true with her feeding schedule for the first 6-9 months. I’m the last person to give advice about sleep training tho - I got one of those magical babies that wanted to sleep through the night from the time she was about a week old (I hear they’re rare, lol). 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @chillycanadian - It's either the hormones or full moon. I've been correcting the misinformed political posts on my newsfeed lately. I don't think it's out of anger or anything like that, I'm just REALLY tired of seeing idiocy and scrolling through, I feel like being tolerant of others' (misinformed) "facts" is only emboldening them ... secretly hoping those specific people just unfriend me. Or maybe it's time to just ditch FB and go to IG exclusively like all the cool, young people.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• mkrelmkrel member
    Oh don't get me wrong, I did not wake my daughter to feed her once getting the okay from my pedi at her 2 week appointment.  But when she woke up hungry, I fed her.  Sometimes that was 2 hours, sometimes 4, and eventually even 6 after a couple of months, but when she woke up I comforted and fed her.
    @mrosek91 We started working on a bed time routine and reducing wake ups around 6 months too and I have no issue with that, it's just the first few months when they are itty bitty.  I cannot even imagine trying to withhold food and comfort from a basally newborn baby just so I could get a little more sleep.
  • @chillycanadian I work for a state agency and the general public has no idea how taxes fund certain programs and others have their own revenue streams. My particular agency is in the news a lot and have to refrain from correcting the crazies on FB that think they know it all. And it’s not just a pregnancy thing... I want to correct them all. the. time. And the media perpetuates the ignorance. 
  • What exactly does sleep training do? Like what is the reason for waking a baby up to feed vs letting a baby let you know they are hungry? Wait is sleep training a different thing from a feeding schedule? *goes to google*
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @suzycupcake waking a baby up to eat is the opposite of sleep training. The philosophy behind it is that some babies would rather sleep than eat and if you let them set their own schedule they would not get enough to eat.
    Sleep training is teaching babies when and how long it appropriate to sleep for at night. Typically you would not start sleep training until you got the ok from your pediatrician that the baby is growing at a healthy rate and does not need to be woken for feeds anymore.
    Personally we used the cry it out method of sleep training which was one of the most painful things I've ever done. But working full time and waking to feed the baby every 4-5 hours was just not good for my mental health.
    Sleep training like all of parenthood is very different for each person and baby, and requires consultation with your pediatrician, your partner, and your feelings.
  • @mrosek91 How would they not get enough to eat? Do they sometimes not cry when they are hungry? 

That sounds like it was very painful for you to do that, I'm so sorry. Mental health is important and I can understand making a decision like that to be the best that you can be for your baby. Society needs a huge overhaul in mentality when it comes to maternity leave, etc. Mothers shouldn't have to go back to work so soon. And now I'm rambling....
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• We had to wake our babies every 3-4 hours until their jaundice went away. After that they were golden to only eat when they woke naturally.
  • @suzycupcake some babies especially those born before term can be "sleepy" babies and will sleep rather than eat. They can loose weight and have a lot of issues, so those babies may need to be woken up (undressed/harassed) to eat. Other babies may have latching or other nursing related issues and need extra help or more frequent feeds. No not all babies cry when hungry.  
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• edited March 2019
    @suzycupcake On the other end of the spectrum...My second DD was born hungry. She started licking her lips within 20 minutes of being born. (She was 8 lb, 3 oz at birth.) She ate about an ounce of formula. She gained weight in the hospital. 

So...Bottom line- Babies are diverse. And you don't know what you'll get until it happens.
  • @MamaK225, I would have had a very hard time not killing him. Damn. Can't he cook? My allergies have also been horrible so I completely sympathize. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @elizabeth_1985 - I totally agree. DD1 fluctuated between hunger and sleep, but lost 7.5 oz in the hospital. However, at her 2 week appointment, she had gained that back plus a pound (and never looked back!).

She was born at 40+1, so was just a tiny baby, but her growth was incredible once she was out: she was a great eater and decent sleeper, but didn't sleep longer than 4 hour stretches until she was close to 5 months. It was due to my hesitancy to move her up past 4 oz (she was such a fast eater and would be on the verge of vomit if I gave her more - regardless of how often I paused during feedings) for a long time. So it required 6-7 feedings a day. Hence 4 hours.
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @AKuzReve - I have NO idea what his issue was, I'm still confounded. It was like a switch flipped and he had a minor panic attack. It was absolutely unwarranted and unnecessary. Having active experience with a 2.5 yr old, I knew just to let it proceed and work itself out ... no need to start a fight over him going momentarily insane. I guess all that work with Toddler has finally paid off in other tangible ways! :D 
    **History in Spoiler**

• @MamaK225, LOL. Glad it's useful for something. Who knew (maybe everyone?) that it would be also useful for husbands. Last night I literally just got up at like 8 PM and went to bed because my allergies were horrific. My H knows better than to question it so he got me the Vicks and turned on the fan for me. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @AKuzReve - I always call DH my oldest child, for reasons like this. They already have the ability to wipe their own butts and - mostly - take care of themselves. And don't get me wrong, he is incredibly engaged and carries more than his weight around the house (and doesn't say a peep when I engage third parties to assist: cleaning lady, any yardwork projects, etc.). I'm "luckier" than most, but they all have their moments.
    **History in Spoiler**