July 2019 Moms
Options

Product spotlight: car seats.

2»

Re: Product spotlight: car seats.

• Options
    @cindler The material on the seat is really soft and smooth, it has a perfect incline even now that it's forward facing so her head never droops forward if she falls asleep, the material is also padded nicely so it doesn't feel like she's sitting on a hard seat. These things are small but made a huge difference for us. 

One thing I would consider too is colour. We got a black seat (leather around the outside) to match our vehicle's interior but it gets SUPER hot in the summer so I invested in climate covers for this year so I don't have to throw a towel over it every day. It's something I hadn't thought of when we bought it. I love the look of them and throwing a towel over the seat in the summer worked fine, so I wouldn't change the choice we made, but it is something to consider.
  • Options
    As I was looking at seats online today I realized one of the major pros to the infant car seat is the canopy. Newborn eyes are so sensitive to light and the canopy is a lifesaver with morning and afternoon sun cutting across the car at weird angles. We would drape swaddles over DS convertible at first but they would droop and trap heat in the car seat. When we switched to an infant seat it was so much better. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister wanted to start with a convertible, their hospital made them bring it in when they wanted to leave the hospital and they were told their baby was too small for the car seat. So BIL and I had to run to Baby's R Us and by an infant car seat.  
  • Options
    @blackhottamales I believe that! Although DS was within the weight requirement for his convertible, he was a skinny newborn and the fit seemed off and uncomfortable, even with the infant insert and strap pads. 
  • Options
    @blackhottamales That's the one thing I'm worried about. They made us bring the seat in with DD. For this one I'll tell them they can come out to the parking lot to see us put her in:/
  • Options
    My hospital also makes you bring in the car seat to load the baby up, whether it’s an infant carrier or a convertible. Just their policy, that baby has to leave the hospital in a car seat
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Hmmmm.  I'm going to have to ask my OB what the hospital policy is now. I really don't want to spend the extra money if I can avoid it, but getting the right installation on the convertible is tough since our seats are a little bit angled. I guess another bonus for the infant seat:/ We only have the seats in the Pathfinder so once the seats are in we don't generally take them out. Blah. Ok. I'm going to have to talk to the OB and SO about this (since SO is the one who is going to have to install/uninststall).
  • Options
    I spent some time watching reviews on mbeans you tube yesterday. I think for convertible, I really liked the Nuna Rava. Looked so easy to install! And had some good things to help with extended rear facing. That’s gonna be important for us because we are both so tall. 
  • Options
    cindlercindler member
    edited March 2019
    How easy is it to move a convertible between cars?
  • Options
    @cindler I had a Britax and it was really challenging. It depends on the seat though. Some are lightweight and have perfected both latch and belt installs, others are heavy, awkward and challenging to install. Some things to consider in the buying process, esp of a convertible, are where your car manual allows you to install a car seat (some are not approved for middle seat install) and if you are installing behind passenger or driver seat, with the seat at its normal position how much space you have for a car seat in rear facing position and furthest recline setting. Some convertible seats fit better in cars that don’t have much space, I’ve heard good things about Clek in that regard. 
  • Options
    We decided today that we’re going with the Chicco Keyfit 30 and Bravo stroller. Infant seat just seems so much easier for now and will buy a bigger seat when she needs it. So many options to chose from! Today at the store it felt like a car show, it was so crowded and everyone testing the seats and strollers. 
  • Options
    @cindler go watch the review for the nuna rava. It looked SO easy to install. The guy who does the videos at mbeans is great at showing everything. 
  • Options
    @cindler look into the Britax click tights..they are a little on the heavy side, but their seatbelt install is the simplest thing ever. And it's also the most concrete install I have ever been able to get on any seat. It's literally impossible to wiggle and only takes a second. Moving convertibles isn't something you want to do daily though...every once in a while isn't a big deal. 
  • Options
    I think I solved my three across... I did some research and decided to get an IMMI Go for my 4.5 year old...He can use it for a long time, it's actually a pretty neat seat that folds up for travel and we can still use his Britax Pinnacle in the third row for longer trips where he will sleep in the car. The Uppababy Mesa fits perfect in the middle of the second row and there is enough room for DD to still use her Britax Pinnacle. Problem solved! 
  • Options
    @jennm0724 I don’t think you can go wrong with that! We have practically Chicco everything ... car seats, stroller, and play yard and 0 complaints on anything.
  • Options
    @jennm0724 I'm thinking about going Chicco Keyfit 30 too. Its listed in every "best car seat of 2019" article that I can find.
  • Options
    @mama_bear19 awesome!! I think I even added the Chicco high chair to my registry LOL 

@fromcatstokids that's sort of how I made my choice, I googled and it seemed to be on every list, in my price range and seems super user friendly. I could sit here until the baby comes and go back and forth on all these different ones, just needed to pick one and move on! 

• Options
    mama_bear19mama_bear19 member
    edited March 2019
    @jennm0724 FYI looks like Chicco is doing a spring sale right now
    eta we went cheap on the high chair and did an inexpensive one that attached to a regular chair
  • Options
    Oh, a little bit of high chair advice!! Do something that can be wiped down! We did one with a cloth/upholsted cover and it’s such a pain to wash that thing multiple times a day. We got to the point where we stopped putting it back on and just use the ugly plastic underneath part so we can easily wipe it clean. 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• Options
    @mama_bear19 ohhh!! Thanks!! I'll have to check out the sale! 

@mamahmh2 good thinking! I'd hate to wash the fabric daily, sounds exhausting! 

• Options
    @cindler +1 to everyone else...I wouldn't want to be moving a convertible back and forth daily but every now and then is fine. We only drive DD in one vehicle (SO and I switch cars rather than moving car seats). I find it is pretty easy to install rear facing with the latch system but takes a little more force/time to install forward facing with the seat belt/anchor strap.
  • Options
    Zero complaints with our Chicco Keyfit. The bases are pricey, but if you are switching cars often (DH would drop daughter off at daycare and I would pick her up, so for us it was daily), then just installing the bases in each car is so much easier. I used the BuyBuyBaby 20% to get an extra base for about 60 bucks. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    OK. You all made me cave and buy an infant seat. I got the same brand as my convertible so I'm hoping I have a better experience than I did with my first. I guess with the money I'm saving on everything else I can afford a car seat. You are all too convincing. I love you all but my credit card hates you right now. 
  • Options
    We went cheapo with the high chair and got this one from Ikea for $20. The only minor complaint is that the legs are wide, but that helps with stability. Otherwise, this thing is great - easy wipe up and can even fit in the dishwasher if need be.

Oh, the tray is REALLY difficult to remove if you dont know how but I watched a YouTube video on it, and now it's simple. I rarely remove the tray though, it is so easy to clean while it is still on.

Pregnancy Ticker