July 2019 Moms

Post baby body plans

Anyone else already planning out their post baby fitness & nutrition program? Recently discovered a yoga/dance studio that does belly dancing, Zumba, pole dancing, trampoline bouncing, and aerial yoga (as well as a couple prenatal classes). I know I want to take at least 3 classes a week there, do weights 3 days a week, and get back to keto and cleaner eating. 

Obviously I know that I will be exhausted with my baby and going back to work, but I also know the toll being so heavy and unfit took on my mental health after having my youngest. I have already talked to my OB about post natal antidepressants to help with my PPD and I know from past experience the combo of antidepressants and exercise helps me fight the frumpy funk that spirals in to deep soul shattering depression. 

So - who else is already looking at what they will be doing to be hot mamas after birth?

Re: Post baby body plans

• My last trip into post-partum world, I found myself really excited to eat healthy but absolutely hating all exercise (usually I'm the opposite). I had so many good, healthy foods prepped and ready to go, so I'm excited to do that again. Between the exhaustion, leaky boobs, and unexpected interruptions from the new addition, I found working out to be so hard. Would love to hear others suggestions or maybe someone to tell me that I should just skip a workout and go play at the park with my toddler instead?
  • Loading the player...
  • I just recently lost 70 pounds before I got pregnant. Im pretty much trying to stick to my healthy eating habits (I cave a couple times here and there) so I am already ready to lose weight when I’m done. I try to workout as much as I can now but it’s hard with my pelvic pain. But I plan on taking time for myself (by working out)even when baby is here to help with PPD. I was SO small (for me) right before I got pregnant and I’m hoping I can get back to that after this one without gaining a ton of weight 2 years after delivery like I did last time. 
  • One of my favorite gyms is opening in a couple months only 2 minutes from our house. I plan on getting a membership once I’m cleared. Right before we got pregnant I completed 80 day obsession and was in a good place so I’m excited to get back. This pregnancy has been a struggle watching my body change compared to my other two. I need to be kinder to myself and realize my body won’t change over night after the baby is born. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • STROLLER STRIDES!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Seriously ladies, if there's a group in your area I can't recommend them enough. Working out every morning outside WITH your baby WITH other moms. There's no better way to start the day!

Fit4mom.com

I find I'm the opposite of @strickland8052 where I have little control over what I eat (while nursing) but I can always get a workout in. Stroller Strides or a quick YouTube HIIT video. 
  • I gained about 15 lbs before getting pregnant due to our losses etc so I can't wait to start getting back to myself once baby is here. 

With DD I worked out with her in the carrier every day. Stairs and legs mostly plus lots of walking. I'm hoping to do the same this time around. DD is in school so I'll be able to work out during the day while she's gone (I'll need the summer to heal from the RCS anyways so I don't really plan on working out until September).

BFing was a huge help the first time but I was back to pre preg weight a week after delivery. With my age this time plus my current weight gain I do NOT see that happening again so I think I'll have a long road ahead of me. This will be our last though so I'm excited to put any extra energy I have into getting my 30 year old body back. A person can dream, right? 
  • I heard the 2nd can wreck you. 😒
    This made me LOL! The 2nd wrecked my sanity!!! But my body was no worse for wear. If you got back into shape after your first you can do it again. Just a little more challenging to find the time for meal planning and working out.  

• Right now I’m doing barre classes 3 sometimes 4 times per week and taking my dog for longer walks. I’m starting to miss running now that spring is almost here, but haven’t done much of it since pre pregnancy so I don’t think I should add it back in now. Planning on trying to get to 2 barre classes a week and ease back into running after the birth. I feel like a 20-30 minute jog will be easier to fit it then an hour class that I have to drive to. Also hoping breastfeeding helps me lose the weight!
  • Working out does great things for my mental health so I hope to be active in some way a few weeks after birth. If its just going for daily/nightly walks all summer I will be thrilled. After DS1 I started doing low impact at 5 weeks PP. Well see how I feel this time and if I even have the energy while caring for a newborn and toddler. BFing didn't work well for us last time... a little jealous of you mamas who dropped the weight by lots of nursing!
  • Last pregnancy I walked a shit ton and ran some. Me and the dog got into pretty good shape! This time around I think I’ll do the same thing. I have a treadmill in my home and a neighborhood with sidewalks! 

• Last time I think I gained after delivery. It certainly wasn’t the breastfeeding free pass I was expecting. By 3ish months I was getting active again- hoping this time with summer that’ll happen much quicker. But I’m making BF the priority again for that year. I managed to have some pretty healthy sprees, but I also ate a fuck ton of Oreos. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Yeah, being plus size and over 200lbs to begin with breastfeeding doesn't give me a free pass. I plan on walking my neighborhood as soon as possible and seeing as I will be able to take advantage of the midnight sun too that is a bonus for me  :)

I do not lose weight easily or quickly. It took me years to come close to my pre-baby weight for my oldest. I had actually just reached it after 10 years when I got pregnant. I am ok with it taking time to lose baby weight. I am ok with having a belly the rest of my life (likely) but I am not ok with near suicidal depression that I get when I am not moving. Big part of the reason I am trying to start a couple sexy fun classes now that I can continue later. 
  • @indulgentgypsy I absolutely agree. Exercise is so good for my mental health and I really struggled last time also. I’m cool with exercise + Oreos for optimal health 😂
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited March 2019
    Total lurker

I just want to psa that there’s a chance that your body won’t let you loose weight while your breastfeeding. I gained 30lbs while pregnant, lost 20 the first week after the birth, then gained 10 back in the 1st 3 months of newborn life. I was stuck 20lbs over my pre pregnancy weight for the entire year i breastfeed. I did EVERYTHING to try to loose the weight. I did whole 30, gave up sugar, tried keto and counted calories. NOTHING made a dent in the 20lbs.

It was the hardest year of my life because I was blindsided by the fact I couldn’t loose the weight. The combination of a ravenous appetite and a sluggish metabolism+ hormones made me keep the weight on. I was insanely frustrated and depressed because of it, and I didn’t know it was a thing, until it happened to me and I started searching online for others stories, and found it happens to a percentage of the population. I exercised and taught yoga but didn’t loose any weight until I stopped breastfeeding when my lo was a year old. Thankfully after I stopped the weight did come off pretty easily with the right diet. 

Be kind to yourself in the pp period and know that if you’re like me to hang in there, the weight will come off. 

Back to lurking....
  • @indulgentgypsy midnight sun sounds eerie and amazing at the same time. I always wondered what it looked/felt like.
  • I'm looking forward to taking walks but other than that I really just plan on eating well and being kind to my body. I have a feeling that I am going to be a little preoccupied with learning to how to care for a little one to get too wrapped up in trying to shed all of my baby weight! 
  • I don't really do a whole lot while breastfeeding. I probably won't join Orange Theory again until at 6-8 months PP because if judging by DS and DD, I always have a tank in my supply around then and switch to formula. Around that time, I'm usually just hanging onto 5-10lbs and need to tighten my stomach back up because it feels mushy. 
  • @Cbeanz I'm so glad to hear that your body bounced back after #2! I've been worried about that also...
  • My neighborhood is great for walking and I hope to take baby out in the stroller a lot. I also just joined a moms workout group at my local rec center to get to know some area moms before baby arrives. They have daily classes and extra workout challenges, plus an active Facebook group where they put together running groups and brunch meetups. I really like it so far and the classes are tougher than I thought they'd be. I'm obviously not doing any burpees until long after this baby is born... 
  • @Cbeanz I found my local stroller strides group when my first son was 5 months old!! Not only was it an awesome way to stay fit, but I have made some amazing friends through the group!! I still go once a week with my youngest, and plan on continuing when this baby is born! It really is such a wonderful group, and the workouts are great!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @indulgentgypsy I didn't mean to imply that exercise was only for vain reasons. Exercising, being outside etc has so many benefits besides losing weight and I'd definitely encourage it for anyone! ❤️ 

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat no worries! I never thought you meant that :) I'm jealous of all you mamas with cute bumps and still mostly slim figures. I feel like a mushy lump. Since I'm already getting down about not feeling sexy or pretty I'm trying to be proactive. 

@Cbeanz the midnight sun thing is freaky and cool. We basically get twilight from 11pm until 3 or 4 AM, no full sun set or darkness. I am sort of excited because if I have a baby that won't sleep we can take walks and get fresh air :)
  • Some of this stuff is gold 😂. “Fuckton of Oreos.”

But also, just the supportiveness. 

I’m 21 weeks and about 15lbs under what my pre-pregnancy weight was but I look exacactly the same. It’s been really hard for me to get over body issues which I usually don’t even have because I’m now comparing myself to other bumps and other moms.

my weight loss is mostly first tri food aversions and nausea (this child hates refined sugar) but also, I lost about 6lbs while sick this past week. My slow pregnancy digestive system made it so that any time I coughed after eating, my gag reflex was triggered so I couldn’t keep much down despite not actually having the flu. (Sorry, TMI maybe).

anyhow, I’ve been doing squats and exercises that are supposed to make labor easier along with walking and staying as active as I can. But post pregnancy, I probably won’t diet because the first thing I’m gonna do is eat a whole cheesecake that this little dude currently won’t let me have 😂.

I have to go back to work within 4-6 weeks pp so my plan is to walk to work (small town and my parents’ house is decently close to the grocery store) plus do T25 (a beachbody program that’s 25 minutes a day) which had helped me lose 45lbs before. 
  • @leylea89 I do beach body programs too and LOVE them. I'll be back to Power 90 and 10 minute trainer videos as soon as possible! 
  • @Panaceia @mamahmh2
    Well..... I wouldn't say anything "bounced back!" It was a shit ton of intentional hard work. I guess what I was trying to say up there was that getting in shape after #2 or even #3 felt about the same effort as getting in shape after the first. It's just a challenge to balance the time after you're outnumbered by kids.

But like others said, working out is my me-time, my mental health time, and it's a high priority for me. So I was willing to put in the effort. I think some people decide it's no longer worth the effort after kid #2 bc there is just way more in life to juggle. Different people make different choices around what to take off their plate. For sanity's sake my family knows mommy needs to work out! And I'm grateful they give me that time.
  • @Panaceia love it too! I swear I was gonna marry Shaun T until I realized he was gay 😂. He just made me feel so good about myself without judgment from a gym. Plus the time and convenience from home is amazing. I hear they even have a Hulu subscription to all of the programs on Hulu. 

Their eating plans were actually ok too. I am thinking of ordering the Shakeology once baby is born because it really did reset my gut health and Helped me out of my depressed mind state at the time. I used it as a snack not a meal replacement though. But I think the key is more moderation and attempting to make good choices 80% of the time when it comes to what you eat. 

• I was a Beachbody coach for 3+ years and love their programs. Body Beast will always be my favorite, followed by TurboFire. I have everything they made up until 3 or 4 years ago. Sadly I have no room to do any of them in my house. I also know that I am way more likely to actually work out and stick to it if I leave the house.
  • @indulgentgypsy We have opposite problems for motivation lol. 
  • cindlercindler member
    edited March 2019
    I currently lift weights 3-5 times a week over my lunch hour. DH and I gym together over lunch, so it's a great opportunity to see him too. I plan to continue that after I go to work. I like weights because it's not too physically exhausting, it keeps me lean, and I get the satisfaction of muscle soreness.

While I'm on maternity leave, my plan is to play it by ear. I dont want to push too hard, but moving certainly does help my mental health.

After recovering from delivery, are there any physical restrictions while breastfeeding? Will my shortness of breath go away after birth? 

ETA I'm also seriously considering getting a medicine ball seat for my desk upon my return to work post baby. I figure my core will need all the help it can get!
  • @cindler usually they say no strenuous exercise, heavy lifting, or sex until you are cleared by your Dr after delivery. Usually this happens around 6wks after a uncomplicated vaginal delivery. After that it's not so much about physical restrictions but keeping supply up. Usually, not always, your supply will tank quite quickly once you start working out/dieting unless you increase your calories or supplement diet to offset the loss of calories. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @Cbeanz Haha yes. Totally get what you mean about having to put in the time and effort. Working out is part of my lifestyle and has been since I was very young so I'm happy knowing that putting in the effort will get results. I am expecting it to be WAY harder this time due to age and some extra weight I'm already carrying BUT, like you, I need it for my mental health as well. The better I look and feel about myself the better I am as a mom and a partner. Getting back in shape is always a priority for me. Plus the only bathing suits I own are bikinis and I have no intention of retiring them any time soon:)
  • My plan for postpartum is to do the Birthfit postpartum series (if you have Birthfit in your area I highly recommend checking it out! I did it after my first and it made SUCH a huge difference!). It's focused on connection with other moms + good, functional movement for postpartum. It is particularly helpful if you have diastasis recti. I also plan to see my pelvic floor physical therapist to make sure everything is healing okay before doing anything too strenuous. I want to avoid the pelvic floor issues I had with my first. @indulgentgypsy that yoga/dance studio sounds amazing! I would love to take some belly dancing classes - I've heard it can really help in labor!