April 2019 Moms

Hospital Bedrest/NICU life

Starting this so @kyashley1227 doesn’t have to do so while in active labor and so that we have a place for the rest of our high risk ladies if things progress rather suddenly.

consider it a place for updates, vents about hospitalization, advice, etc.

Re: Hospital Bedrest/NICU life

• lyse01lyse01 member
    edited February 2019
    Super annoyed that the Bump won’t let me just copy/paste my advice on prepping for the nicu from March.

My posts are on p1

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12737757/bedrest-hospital-stay-nicu-thread#latest

• Former NICU mom here!  My littles spent 56 days in the NICU.  Feel free to ask questions here or PM me if anyone has any!  It's a tough time but a distant memory now.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • We got lucky with DD and she was only in the NICU while I was hospitalized and in the PICU for 5 days when she was born. But I am familiar with antenatal stays and I'm here if anyone needs me!
  • lyse01lyse01 member
    edited February 2019
    Bump for @angelob88
    eta: and @mrdcle
  • I was also lucky that DS had a short stay in the NICU - 7 days.  But the experience shaped my transition to motherhood in big ways. Happy to talk if anyone wants to reach out.
  • @MRDCle +1 for you are NOT a failure. This is so out of your control. You've provided your babies a safe happy home all this time, and now your body and theirs just need them to be outside babies. And the amazing thing is, we live in this world of so much medical advancement that it sounds like you'll all be okay. Yes, NICU for 2+ weeks will blow hard. But it sounds like they're going to be okay and so are you, and that is what's really important. You and your body are doing amazing, no matter how awful it feels. All the support and love for you!
  • @MRDCle You are not failing these babies, mama! You are doing the best you can in a situation that is out of your control. Lots of love to you.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • @MRDCle what everyone else said pretty much covers it for me - you are absolutely not a failure. You have grown and nourished those boys inside your body, and you’ll continue to do so once they’re born! We all send you our love and support. 
  • +1 to all the other commenters.  Hoping the boys have a minimal NICU stay.
  • @MRDCle we are all here for you! Try not to be too hard on yourself. I cant imagine carrying twins. You're doing great, please keep us posted!! Xoxo
  • @MRDCle You can do this! You've done great so far, and independently of what mode of delivery you or the doctors choose, it will be fine, it will just be the babies own way of coming into this world. Focus on how great it will be to finally meet the boys, and good luck with everything! Lots of twin love from across the Atlantic, looking forward to catching up more after delivery. ❤️❤️❤️

• @MRDCle you grew two humans and kept them well. <3 I’ll be praying for you and your babies!
  • @MRDCle Not a failure, not at all, though I understand the feeling. Remember the BPP showed they were strong and active and developmentally solid. Just small. So now, you get to nourish and protect and teach them from the outside, which is just as legitimate a way to help them grow as keeping them inside. In fact, by making a choice to deliver now, you’re helping them grow better and that is the very opposite of failure. It’s good parenting.

NICU parents, especially ones who spend a long time there, are at high risk (something like 40% diagnosed) for PPD/PPA/PTSD, and it often manifests in thought patterns like this. Start asking for the NICU social worker now and alert your OB to these thoughts at your morning appointment. 

Grab the lactation consultant while you’re at it - breastmilk is the #1 medicine you can provide, and there is zero shame in donor milk if you need it.
  • I'm late to this party but please don't be so hard on yourself @mrdcle! This is totally outside of your control and you've carried those babies as far as you could. You're not a failure <3

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• fuzzywombatfuzzywombat member
    edited February 2019
    @MRDCle please be kind to yourself! Know that we’re all rooting like hell for you and your boys 
  • @mrdcle ditto what everyone else said and sending all the love your way.
  • Lurking**
    @MRDCle you are not failing your boys, you are doing everything you can for them. You won't choose the wrong method of delivery. If you try for vaginal and it works well then awesome, if not your docs will be monitoring the hell out of you and do everything to get you two healthy babies. I know its scary but soon your little fighters will be here. Good luck tomorrow. MoM's can do anything!! 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @MRDCle - I can't imagine how scary this is for you but you are in good hands and everything will work out!
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @MRDCle prayers for a quick and safe delivery whenever that may be!  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @MRDCle sending good thoughts your way and like everyone else has said, you are NOT a failure to your boys whatsoever.  Like @kosmo86 said, this is completely out of your control and you've done everything you can to get them to this point where they are healthy and strong enough to get through this.  Sounds like you have an awesome team behind you.  Hoping things go as safely and smoothly as possible, hang in there! 
  • @kyashley1227 how are you and Noah holding up?

@angelob88 any updates today? We’re you able to get some rest at all?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @angelob88 I had to do some antenatal stay and @lyse01 has had NICU experience. I would say to have your DH bring you some books/magazines and an laptop/tablet of some kind to binge on Netflix. 
  • Yep! Antenatal time too. I highly recommend getting yourself organized for NICU time, and also to finish projects like photo albums (online or off) that you never ever have enough enforced downtime for at home. Binging Netflix gets old quickly.
  • Ohhhh doing stuff on shutterfly (or whatever you use) is a great idea!
  • @angelob88 still hanging strong?
    @MRDCle thinking of you today!
  • @MRDCle Hope you and your little ones are doing well today. Echoing everyone else you are in no way a failure! You are a freaking warrior goddess! Sending love and strength to you and your little ones 💜

@angelob88 Glad you got better sleep. Fingers crossed you get to 35 weeks! 💜
  • @MRDCle good luck today! 

@angelob88 rooting for 35 weeks! 
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • cabearitcabearit member
    edited February 2019
    @MRDCle best wishes and good vibes for babies day!!  <3

@angelob88 this is great to hear :) If anything, maybe this forced down-time will help speed up the recovery from your cold. 

(Edited to correct my spelling)
    Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • you got this @mrdcle <3

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• T&P for you both, @MRDCle and @angelob88!!!  
  • @MRDCle that's great news! Keep us posted when you can!

@angelob88 also great news. Keep cooking baby!
  • Good job both of you! Prayed for both situations tonight and hoping for excellent outcomes.