March 2019 Moms
Options

Product spotlight - Postpartum healing

Let's talk the unpleasant part of giving birth, healing up afterwards. 

What products do you like or want to try? What is absolutely essential? What is unnecessary? What needs to be taken to the hospital/birth center and what can stay home? 

Re: Product spotlight - Postpartum healing

• Options
    This is my first baby so I don't know from direct experience, but I am an acupuncturist and I specialize in women's health and pediatrics. I make postpartum boxes for patients (and other women who are interested) and they have given me really positive feedback. 

It includes things like herbs for uterine healing, herbal lactation tea, herbal nipple balm, herbal sitz bath soaks (in teabags for minimal cleaning) or to use as a peri bottle spray, herbal belly oil, aromatherapy for anxiety relief and baby calming, and a few other things. All the herbs are from the Chinese materia medica for which I am nationally licensed, and all sources are organic and cruelty free. 

I really don't want this to be salesy, I just want you ladies to know about available resources! Feel free to DM if you are interested, I do ship but I need time to make them before my baby comes since each box is made to order.
  • Options
    Last time I read so much about padsicles but didn’t bother to make any because it seemed like a lot of work for something I didn’t know whether or not I’d need. Well.... let me just say that post partum, I was in so much discomfort that I needed them! I had to send DH out for aloe and witch hazel the day after getting home from the hospital. They were amazing! I will definitely make sure to have some in the freezer this time, and to have all the supplies to make more on hand. 
    If you don’t know what padsicles are... https://www.gentlenursery.com/organic-pregnancy/easy-diy-padsicles/
    I didn’t use any essential oils, just the witch hazel and aloe. I ended up using these
    pads for at least a week post partum. They were awesome!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dermoplast in the blue bottle. DO NOT get the red one. It burns. Guess how I know... Last time I ran out and couldn’t find the blue one. The Mama Earth bottom spray is ok too, but not as cooling as the dermoplast.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Loved the mama earth bottom balm (can’t wait to try the spray, which wasn’t a thing my last time). This time I’m going to have some reusable waterproof chuck pads made (like they have at the hospital) to protect my bed from my milk leaking and any left over spotting. Having a nice nursing gown is good too. I need to buy a bigger size. Also it’s worth it to have some reusable breast pads...I went through soooo many disposables the first time, it was nice to save that money the second time (and carry onto my 3rd time).
  • Options
    I was so naive as a FTM that I didn't prepare almost anything! Thankfully, the hospital sent me home with everything I needed: witch hazel pads, mesh undies, dermoplast, peri bottle and small samples of medela nipple balm. But I had the lansinoh lanolin ointment at home and liked it much better than medela. I also used the lansinoh soothies (the gel pads for the nipples). 
  • Options
    I highly recommend a belly binder for any c-section mamas. It really helped to support everything. It seems like it would be good for vaginal birth recovery too, but I don’t have any firsthand knowledge on that. 

And definitely nipple cream and a visit to a lactation consultant for breastfeeding moms. Breastfeeding is hard, get all the comfort and support you can. 
  • Options
    I’m definitely preparing now for post partum I was unprepared last time! My hospital provided the mesh undies (which I only used the first night), dermospast spray, a sample of the lansioch nipple cream, peri bottle, and pads. I did take preperhation H wipes which were nice especially with my hemmerhoids. I did have disposable breastpads which I didn’t need right away and more nipple cream which I’m glad I took with me. The best advice I ever got was to slather that stuff on in the early days of breastfeeding I really think it made a big difference in my breastfeeding journey. I asked the nurse for more nipple cream when I ran out because it is expensive and although she couldn’t give me more she did give me samples with coupons attached. Also lanolin does stain your clothes so that’s important to know. 

I was exclusively breastfeeding and I had no idea what all that meant so if you are planning too this is what I experienced. I wish I had had more nursing bras (you’ll also use them at night). I had horrible night sweats that lasted at least a month if not longer it required changing my clothes, the sheets, and a shower if I had the energy/time. Once my milk came in and it was leaking even at times with the breast pads (I definitely had an over supply) I was also changing because of that. I felt like I never had enough nursing convienent clothes. I have been stocking up on bralettes and nursing bras/tanks as I have seen them on sale. I also recommend the cooling/heating gel pads they were such a lifesaver when my milk first came in. 
  • Options
    I echo @maggiemadeit that belly binders for c sections are amazing.  I had a belly band-it specifically.  I put the hospital binder over it for double support.  It keeps you from feeling like your insides are going to fall out.  Also seems to help with your uterus going down.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The hospital provided a lot of the initial essentials last time: peri bottle, mesh undies, pads. I had also bought nursing tanks, bras, and sleep bras, extra pads and tucks pads. I was really lucky that I wasn’t really sore last time even with stitches. I used disposable breast pads last time but bought reusable ones this time. I only needed some nipple cream initially but after about a month I never used it again and I exclusively breastfed. 
    This time I purchased mama earth perineal spray, extra overnight pads and regular pads, nursing tanks, and need to purchase a few more bras. Tucks pads and bamboobies nipple cream. I also plan to purchase a belly binder. Last time after birth my back hurt and felt like jello and I’m really hoping a binder will help keep things together better. I also second seeing a lactation consultant, saved me big time and that is how we found out DD1 was tongue tied. Through our hospital the appointments are free. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    I think a lot of this depends on your body and how it heals. I thought I was going to need tons of mesh undies, but I only needed them at the hospital. Overall, my bleeding was pretty light and pads worked fine. I agree with the sitz bath, dermaplast, and witch hazel- my hospital provided those last time. I also recommend a donut for the ride home. Nipple cream for breast feeding and nursing pads. I don’t know what you can do about night sweats, but I also got them for probably a week or two so I went through a lot of clothes. 
  • Options
    I second (third?) the belly binder, even for vaginal birth mamas. I had the belly bandit for stomachs and hips. The hip one I didn’t wear as long or often because it’s not as comfortable, but I think it helped me fit back into my pre pregnancy pants hip measurement-wise.

I slept on soft beach towels in bed while my milk came in because my night sweats were pretty bad. I was convinced I had the flu or mastitis or something because of the pain from engorgement and the cold sweats and chills.
  • Options
    DH bought me a small firm pillow from hallmark with a touching illustration/saying on it following my c section. It was so helpful having it to hold against my stomach while laughing and coughing. Highly recommend!
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    Don’t have much to add, just going to second the sleeping on a towel for night sweats. They were surprisingly intense! 
  • Options
    FTM c-section question... any specific supplies for c-section delivery other than what has been mentioned: mesh undies if needed, overnight pads, belly binder, breast feeding pads/cream? 

Thank you! 
  • Options
    @karatepickles high-waisted undies that won’t rub against your incision site. Kindred bravely makes good ones. I didn’t end up with a c-section but have heard really good things about them.
  • Options
    It's interesting because I don't remember having any night sweats. I also didn't leak much, but I ended up having low supply (only discovered at 4 months).
    One thing I plan to do differently now is to use a belly binder. I never bothered with one with DS1, but I want to give it a try this time to help shrink the belly. If you used one before, how did you know which size to get? It is true that you can't buy it in advance and have to wait until you can measure the belly after birth?
  • Options
    I loved Earth Mama Angel Baby products. I want to like natural products, but I also tend to be skeptical, like can they ever be as good as regular products? I had their bottom balm and their bottom tea, and they were AMAZING! I had a second-degree year and a few stitches. The bottom balm, they recommended to keep in the fridge. I did and it would feel so nice going on cold. 

I didn't have a lot of pain, but I did develop some to where I couldn't sit, only lie down, a few days post delivery. I hadn't used the bottom tea yet at that point. So I did and then froze it for a few minutes to chill it down. Put it in my underwear, and the pain was gone within 20-30 minutes or so! I used the liquid from brewing it (the bottom tea is literally like a box of giant tea bags) to make padsicles, but never ended up using them. 

You'll need some big pads, but don't neglect just plain old regular maxi pads. Before the birth, I got a box of the biggest Always pads available and then a couple sizes down (I think size 5 and size 3). I only used a few of the size 5s and a handful of the size 3s, and then I just needed regular maxi pads for weeks, and of course, I had only a small pack of those. If I recall correctly, I was at regular maxi pad-level bleeding by about 1-1.5 weeks post birth and then needed maxi pads for five or six weeks longer. 

Definitly ask what the hospital/birth center/home birth midwives provide. Mine gave me a list, but I think that was only actual birth stuff. Because they gave me a bag with a peri bottle, some sort of perineal wash (it had witch hazel and I don't know what all in it. I liked the EMAB stuff better, so I used very little of it), two pairs of Always-type underwear in addition to the pair I wore home, and four or five huge pads. I didn't know I'd be getting any of that. I probably could have gotten away with buying no size 5s if I had known. 

We went over this before, I think in UO early on, but I never used any sort of stool softener and don't think it's necessary. I did gentle pushes on the toilet and took my time, and it wasn't a big deal at all. And I'm sure I had a normal amount of fiber in my diet, but I hadn't worked at doing any sort of stool-helping diet beforehand either. 

I thought of doing a belly binder of some sort last time but didn't. I may this time. I've been looking into bengkung belly wrapping, which uses a long strip of cloth wrapped around and around the waist many times. I did not work hard enough to heal my diastis between pregnancies, and I am majorly regretting it. I would hope binding for a bit would help me in that direction. 
  • Options
    I wish this thread was a thing when i had my first baby because not only did I wake up DRENCHED in sweat for weeks, but also 1: didn’t know I would leak 2: never wore a bra to sleep and 3: slept on my belly, so when my milk did come fully in I completely soaked my mattress. Breast milk and sweat are not a good combo for mattresses by the way. 

This time I’ll get more nursing bras, nipple cream and the disposable pads (I know I won’t do all that laundry), and more loose pants for after my c section. I hate things over my belly, so I had one outfit from target I liked that was a soft band on loose jammie pants. I think I just got too big of a size or something. Gonna get more comfies like that and a belly band too. I have a short waist so the one they gave me at the hospital was too long and pressed underneath my boobs.  I also second the pillow for pressing into your incision when you laugh or sneeze!
  • Options
    I sleep naked, so I never wore a bra to bed. I slept on top of a prefold, and it was fine and caught most of the milk. Sometimes I got off, and it would wet the sheets some. 

Regardless, I think everyone, pregnant or with children or no, should have a mattress protector on their bed! They're cheap. Sweating at night is not unique to pregnant or postpartum women. Or maybe you'll accidentally spill a cup of water on the bed. Maybe you'll randomly have an accident at night. Or messy sexy stuff or period blood or even drool. Whatever. It's worth the cost. 
  • Options
    @karatepickles For the c section recovery make sure to stay on top of your pain meds. I hated taking them so I stopped too soon, and every move was searing pain. It’s major abdominal surgery, and there is a reason they prescribe the pills they do. Also, the pain meds plus the surgery can wreak havoc on your digestion, so make sure you get lots of fiber, drink lots of water, and use a softener if you need it. 
  • Options
    dtspmamadtspmama member
    edited January 2019
    @karatepickles this may be beating a dead horse, but I'm going to give another +1 for the pain meds schedule post-c-section.  I got off schedule with DD2 and the difference in recovery from DD1 was intense.

If you're not breastfeeding (I've never been able to due to a medical condition) then I recommend really good sports bras, nursing pads for when you inevitably start leaking, ice packs, and cabbage leaves.  I'm not sure that I buy into the cabbage thing 100%, but I've used the leaves with my first two and plan to do so again.
  • Options
    I love this thread!  I've started slowly packing a bag and acquiring things to go in it over the break, here is what I have so far based on my last experience (c-section with twins), and preparing for a (hopefully) different one this time (VBAC with a chance of a repeat c-section). More of an overall supply list...

Disposable nursing pads 
    Re-usable nursing pads (looooved the Lily Padz that you just wash off in the sink with soap, and they stick to you and will use them again)
    Overnight pads for bleeding
    Large, comfy undies that wouldn't interfere with a c-section incision
    Medela pump part cleaning wipes (I exclusively pump, and when I had my girls my husband was in Europe so if a nurse didn't want to help me wash them after I pumped and I couldn't get out of bed, I was out of luck)
    Nursing cover (for when family visited), I loved my Bebe au Lait!
    Nursing bras and pumping attachments - I just ordered some new ones from Bravado and wow are they comfy!
    Lansinoh nipple cream
    Lansinoh gel soothies
    Tucks pads - I also have a Hemaway seat at the recommendation of my OB
    Mirilax (big regret not having this one the first time!)
    Comfy jammies and wear-home outfit
    Snacks (not really breastfeeding related but the extra calories were needed) and water
    Dermoplast spray (new one for me - but buying it based on others' recommendations) 
    Peri bottle (will use the one the hospital provides)
    Post-party binder (I have a couple of different ones, and the generic stretchy one with Velcro from the hospital was my fav - I'll be using this regardless of a c-section or VBAC!)
    C-section incision bandages and tape
    Maderma scar gel (in the event of another c-section)
    Some tame pain-killers - the ones from the hospital completely knocked me out and I didn't like them
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the advice, @gowenc @kbear28 @maggiemadeit @dtspmama !!
  • Options
    @dtspmama when I decided to stop breastfeeding my daughter the cabbage leaves worked almost instantly for me. I had an oversupply too, but she was a preemie and when she came home it was too hard to exclusively pump and care for her so I just decided not to. But I would definitely say the leaves work!!
  • Options
    @mamakeeg I read somewhere that the leaves have to be cold to work, but how the heck do you keep them cold when your body is a furnace most of the time?  And did you roll yours with a rolling pin or anything?  (Since I plan on doing them again, I want to make sure they work as quickly as possible!)
  • Options
    @mihaelams1I bought mine in advance. It was very adjustable with all the Velcro straps, so it doesn’t not have to be an exact fit to work.
  • Options
    @meggyme thank you! I was eyeing the belly bandit one at the destination maternity store a few weeks ago, but the sales consultant discouraged me from getting it by saying that it might not fit, and then it will be too late to return it. I'll research the sizes more, and maybe buy one closer to my due date. I just thought I won't be very likely to go shopping in store right after the baby is here!
  • Options
    I second (or third or fourth) everything the C-section moms have said.

I would also add that I hadn’t worn a pad since middle school, but I was pretty impressed with Always Infinity. I also bought some high waisted compression leggings that were a lifesaver. 

• Options
    The C-section advice is all great. Def stick to the pain meds schedule and take stool softener. I wore the mesh panties for a while (steal the extras from the hospital and bring them home) because it was so hard finding high wasted comfy undies that didn't rub on the scar. I was a bit caught off guard that I still bled so much after a c-section so def make sure you have plenty of regular pads at home. The hospital will provide the big ones at the beginning.

Drink a ton of water so make sure you have a water bottle that you love.

For breastfeeding, my favorite product was the madela hydrogel pads that you can keep in the fridge. Lots of nipple cream, bamboobies reusable nursing pads, target carries a great affordable nursing tank that I have a bunch of and lived in. 

Everyone should have a mattress protector on their beds at this point...

• Options
    @BuckeyeNut05 I was recommended lily padz at the end of me needing breastpads last time and then found some before I got pregnant at a discount store and bought them. I’m glad to hear you mention them but exactly when and how do you use them? I just imagine peeling them off and ruining my bras in order to breastfeed or pump? Can you give some more advice, thanks! 
  • Options
    I'm a FTM but I have already added some things to my Amazon cart. Definitely a belly band, reusable breast pads, high wasted Always adult diapers, and some Witch Hazel Pads. I am also planning on getting some stool softeners and pads in various sizes. There's a strong possibility I'll have a C-SECTION so I don't want to buy too many items just yet.
  • Options
    I definitely did not have a mattress protector when I had my first baby.... woops. I also didn’t know I would leak or sweat or realize how much babies spit up on your bed so learn from my naivety! Nobody told me any of that, just that I would bleed a ton and I barely even bled at all. 

@dtspmama I would change it about every hour I think? It wilted fast but cabbage is cheap enough to buy a couple. And I didn’t smash mine. Just kinda tore them to fit inside my nursing bra and cup around my boob but I remember being surprised at it actually working and so quickly! I definitely had been weaning myself down though by not pumping as much so that might be part of it. If I was you I’d do all the recommended stuff like not triggering let down if you can help it and I bet you’ll have to go through the engorgement stage regardless. But who knows! Maybe it’ll work right away! Good luck :) 
  • Options
    BuckeyeNut05BuckeyeNut05 member
    edited January 2019
    @ashley14598 I never really had a problem with them ruining anything - are you concerned about the sticky part or spilling milk?  These have a sticky side (but don't leave residue on you, and you just stick them to you when you're done nursing or pumping. When you're ready to remove them to nurse or pump again, there may be a little bit of milk in there, but I just let it fall into a towel or paper towel, etc. When you're done, you wash them off in the sink with soap and water and that reactivates the sticky and you just put them back on. I loved that they stayed put and I didn't have to worry about leaks, plus I wasn't throwing away nursing pads all the time and rebuying. 

Edited to add that they have some good info on their website, as well as a link to a clinical study that you might find useful.
  • Options
    @dtspmama a few different decongestant medicines can help dry you out too. The milk bank had me being very careful with Sudafed to avoid drying out.
  • Options
    Well I never thought about a mattress protector for adult beds further than 'what are we going to do if my water breaks in bed!!?!?'

I feel silly because we already have 2 for the crib and I thought about getting a couple more for late night accidents. I officially ordered one last night for our bed, so that answers that question! 
  • Options
    @BuckeyeNut05 thanks for all the info! I’m looking forward to trying them this time! I guess I was worried about milk spilling out on my clothes when taking them off to feed. But sounds like it’s not been much of an issue. 
  • Options
    JLaVO888JLaVO888 member
    edited January 2019
    I second the dermoplast! Also witch hazel pads/wipes. They are so soothing and really help with the itchy skin when things start to heal. I would line my pad with the witch hazel pads and spray with dermoplast and it was a heavenly combo. The hospital gave me both of these things but I went through them all in about a day and a half and DH was left searching Walmart for them. Thankfully some beautiful soul of a woman spotted his lost and confused self in the ladies isle and figured out pretty quickly his wife had just had a baby and helped a buddy out. I for sure will be stocking up ahead of time this go around. 

I also started taking a gentle stool softener as soon as I got home and had the fridge stocked with tons of fresh fruit. I can’t say it made the first BM any easier, but just on the outside chance it did help, I’m doing that again as well. 

Oh! and the boppy pillow that was bought off my baby registry ended up being the best cushion to sit on for days. If you don’t already have one it’s worth the purchase for it’s double use.