July 2019 Moms

Flu Shot

Have you all gotten your flu shot yet? I've never gotten one before and was planning on getting it this week .I read online that it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect in your body. Now I am super stressed out and feeling guilty because we are traveling via airplane next week and I'm so worried I'll catch the flu. Should have gotten the shot earlier...

Re: Flu Shot

• I got one before I was pregnant. If you're worried, ask your doctor. Maybe you could wear one of those face masks or something. No flu vaccine is 100% effective anyway, don't stress!
  • Yep, I got mine in October, not because of pregnancy, just because I get it in the Fall. Do it now, better late than never! 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • @firsttimemommy0719 I got one while ttc, and I normally get one every year. Don't feel guilty about not getting one yet, just get one today! It may not have taken full effect by the time you travel but it's better than nothing + it will help protect you and baby during the height of flu season. 
  • I got mine in October as well while we were ttc. Both my husband and I got the flu last year and I thought I was going to die, seriously. Wasn't messing around with it this year!!
  • I got mine during my prenatal intake. I havent gotten a flu shot in at least 6 years but the benefits outweighed any negative feelings i had.
  • I inexplicably but conveniently both got my flu shot and went to the dentist (they shielded for X-rays, thankfully)/ two of the big things you’re supposed to when you’re pregnant RIGHT before I got the BFP. Maybe my subconscious knew?

The flu shot was also because DH works with little germ factories AKA at a kids hospital, so if I don’t get one, I’m completely tempting fate...

Worth it, for the protection it gives both you and the little ones
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I just got mine today. I should have gotten it earlier but...well...at least I got it now:)
  • I got mine on December 7, and for the first time since he can remember, my DH got one, too. It was his idea; I didn't even think about asking him if he'd get one. My work offers them, but since I work from out of state and they're of course offered when I'm not back in the office, I've been hit and miss on getting them in the last couple years. Glad to have gotten one this year!
  • This year I got it about a week after I found out I was pregnant (in past years, I sometimes skipped getting one at all).  I think it's advised to get one as soon as possible, but it won't hurt to do it now, and flu season can continue past March sometimes.
  • Is it okay if I got my flu shot two days after TTC?? Would it still protect the baby, even though s/he was in the midst of being conceived? 
  • @rgn12 yep, your immunity is passed to the baby. Plus, by the time they are born in July, the next flu shot will be coming out in a few months. 
  • rgn12 said:
    Is it okay if I got my flu shot two days after TTC?? Would it still protect the baby, even though s/he was in the midst of being conceived? 
    I was the same way. I actually may have got the shot the day we conceived! But the immunity is there. 
    FTM
    July 4th
  • Someone told me not to get the flu shot in first trimester, is that true? I'm now 13+4 and was thinking of getting it next week. I'm going on vacation on Jan 21 and flying and seriously afraid of catching something in the airplane with all the sickness that's been going around. I've dodged it thus far! *Knock on wood*
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @babyginjuly you should definitely get the flu shot in the first tri. It is safe at any point in time. 
  • @babyginjuly it takes 2 weeks for the flu shot to work...it's safe at any point in pregnancy. 
  • @babyginjuly +1 to all above. I got mine at 13+3 but should have gotten it at like 7. It is safe at any point.
  • Any time is ok and it takes 2 weeks for immunity so get that shot ASAP.
    FTM
    July 4th
  • Thank you ladies! I was able to get it today at my prenatal check up. I'm making hubby do it too!
  • @babyginjuly make sure your dh gets an updated Tdap shot if necessary. Your ob will likely instruct you to get.one but hubs may need one too.
    FTM
    July 4th
  • @babyginjuly I was reading that Tdap should be done by anyone that plans on being around the baby the first 6 weeks but how soon should hubby get it? closer to birth or now is fine?

I just had the 10 yr booster done last year but OB insists that I need one again around 28 weeks.

• @babyginjuly You're supposed to get it between 27 and 32 weeks of pregnancy so that some of the immunity passes on to the baby. I'm not sure when your H should get it. I'd say sooner rather than later though. Maybe at the same time as you?
  • babyginjuly I was just reading up on tdap and apparently you have to get it for every pregnancy, no matter how long ago your last dose was. 
  • noslen0519noslen0519 member
    edited January 2019
    Yes got mine the first week of October. 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3