August 2019 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday, 12/13

Got an unpopular opinion? Share it here! BYO Popcorn.  ;)
Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!

Re: Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday, 12/13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @deecherise YES. I don't TOUCH alcohol once I know I am pregnant. I have a few friends who will have a glass of wine (or even a cocktail!) every now and then once they're in the 2nd trimester and it just baffles me all to hell. 
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I don't like Shonda Rimes shows.

• Options
    @runningisrad it's baffling to me as well. My best friend is studying FASDs for her PhD, and there are some horrific case reports that just ruin any and all urges for me. 
  • Options
    We really shouldn't drink at all while pregnant. From a scientific perspective, alcohol is a toxin, and humans are incredibly individualistic in the way they metabolize toxins, meaning that drinking a glass of wine every once in a while is probably fine for some folks but could be devastating for others. The genetic determinants of alcohol metabolism in humans have not been fully elucidated, and there are a myriad of other, safer ways to reduce stress.  Drinking during pregnancy doesn't makes someone a bad person, but it's an unnecessary risk. Public health PSA of the day.
    My UO is that I judge the hell out of people who drink or do drugs during pregnancy. I saw somewhere recently that Cosmo says it’s okay to drink, while the American Acadamy of Pesiatrics says it’s not, and all other reputable sources says it is not okay, so why chance it?  If you are an alcoholic and are having issues stopping, I have compassion and understanding, but otherwise just don’t do it. 

• Options
    Well y'all can judge me.  I had a glass of wine in second and third tri a handful of times in my last pregnancy.  Both my current and previous OB told me that there are plenty of studies showing that small amounts of alcohol show no negative impact, but there is no exact line of where is too much because it would be unethical to test out something like drugs or alcohol on pregnant women, so with the US being such a litigious and over indulgent society, they have to recommend zero alcohol.  One of them even discussed with me how other countries drink while pregnant and it isn't frowned upon.  I think for everything, discussing with your provider and making an informed decision is best.  I certainly don't think a few glasses of wine during the course of many weeks of pregnancy is going to impact your baby.  

• Options
    mkrel said:
    Well y'all can judge me.  I had a glass of wine in second and third tri a handful of times in my last pregnancy.  Both my current and previous OB told me that there are plenty of studies showing that small amounts of alcohol show no negative impact, but there is no exact line of where is too much because it would be unethical to test out something like drugs or alcohol on pregnant women, so with the US being such a litigious and over indulgent society, they have to recommend zero alcohol.  One of them even discussed with me how other countries drink while pregnant and it isn't frowned upon.  I think for everything, discussing with your provider and making an informed decision is best.  I certainly don't think a few glasses of wine during the course of many weeks of pregnancy is going to impact your baby.  

And those other countries have high rates of FASDs-- Brits have an estimated rate of 17% for example. 

It's not simply because it's unethical, because there are plenty of animal models. It's also because of what I said--the variances in alcohol metabolism are too high to get conclusive study results. What is a "small amount" of alcohol when women vary drastically in height, weight, and lifestyle? Even ignoring genetic predisposition, there are currently too many factors that would need to be controlled for. If the risk of impaired brain function is worth it to you, that's you and your little red wagon.  
  • Options
    @deecherise I completely respect your points and your opinion, and you are free to judge away.  To me, the opinions of my OB and my husband are the ones that are important during my pregnancy and as long as we are all on the same page with how I am caring for myself and my baby, I'm not worried about anyone else's opinion. 

@olivemomma I feel the same way.   
  • Options
    @olivemomma Lol I know I'm not perfect. But yeah, I do low key judge people who won't heat their deli meat or eat cooked fish for 9 months, especially when Listeria and Toxo are known causes of miscarriage and stillbirth. Nobody's going to eat 100% excellent while pregnant or stick thermometers in their bathwater, but if there are obvious avoidable risks, why take them? 
  • Options
    @olivemomma Lol I know I'm not perfect. But yeah, I do low key judge people who won't heat their deli meat or eat cooked fish for 9 months, especially when Listeria and Toxo are known causes of miscarriage and stillbirth. Nobody's going to eat 100% excellent while pregnant or stick thermometers in their bathwater, but if there are obvious avoidable risks, why take them? 
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, you can take my wine and beer but not my Vitos from Jimmy John's! Early FFFC: I still eat deli meat occasionally without heating it up.
  • Options
    olivemommaolivemomma member
    edited December 2018
    @deecherise I totally get your point. Of course I’m not advocating for daily drinking or large amounts of wine or any other substance. However, I guess I feel if I want to have a 1/2 a glass of wine a small handful of times throughout my pregnancy that is no more likely to be harmful then most anything else I do. I mean, I’m sure you don’t judge women for eating salad but there’s a possibility she could get listeria poisoning from the lettuce. Soft serve ice cream has the risk of listeria poisoning. I guess my point is is that virtually EVERYTHING carries some risk while pregnant. 

Honest question - do all you judgers also refrain from wine or whatever else 100% while breastfeeding? Even if you are breastfeeding for well over a year? 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @olivemomma I did refrain from drinking while breastfeeding, and breastfed my first for under a year. 

I don’t think it is fair to lump eating deli meat with drinking alcohol during pregnancy, for me personally though, I don’t do anything that is not recommended. And while I may side eye the drinkers, my best friend smoked pot throughout her pregnancy. I also would not do that, but she is still my friend. I told her once I didn’t agree and that was it. 

I accidentally drank gourmet pasturized juice this morning and called my doctor. It may be neurotic, but it’s been hard to get PGAL, so that’s just my mental state. 

I support others having their opinion as long as they let me have mine, judging or not.

ill go ahead and put it out there that I judge the smokers during pregnancy too.  Doesn’t mean I don’t love ya, just judging that decision too.  

• Options

I totally side eye pregnant drinking. I just don't understand the need for any unnecessary risk. 🤷🏻‍♀️ But we're all free to make our own informed decisions.

I don't like Shonda Rhimes one bit, but I still watch everything. Because I'm an addict. I'm not proud. Mmm Jackson Avery.

My UO: I think TV use is totally fine for kids. My almost 3 year old is SOOO smart and I credit a lot of that too the stuff she watches on TV.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My UO is that ranch dressing is super disgusting but you can eat ketchup on anything. :P 
  • Options
    My UO is that ranch dressing is super disgusting but you can eat ketchup on anything. :P 
    We are opposites. I loooove ranch dressing. The smell of ketchup makes me want to gag even when not pregnant. 
  • Options
    @drmrsthecounselor YASSS
    Hold the ranch, but ketchup/bbq sauce on everything!
  • Options
    I am on team ketchup > ranch! 😁
  • Options
    Ketchup combined with ranch is amazing! It’s also great mixed with mayo! Mmm now I was some fries...
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @database6 I totally respect that you ‘walk the walk’ with your views. I also totally don’t judge you for your views, I just don’t like when pregnant women get all judgey on one another. However, I must admit that I also judge smoking (honestly weather you are pregnant or not) - see there I go being all hypocritical! I admit it!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @vvitchhazel agree on the TV time. Both my kids get more TV and screen time than they “should,” and my 8 year old reads on a 5th grade level. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It hasn’t negatively affected her thus far. My 2 year old knows all his letters and numbers and I’m pretty sure some of the things he watches/apps he plays on my phone contribute to that.

• Options
    @runningisrad Same. My daughter has known her ABCs and has been able to count to 20 since she was 2.5. She is also really talented, musically. I haven't taught her any of it... Big ol thanks to Bounce Patrol and Dave and Ava! 😂
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Beauxbaton said: LLP
    We are opposites. I loooove ranch dressing. The smell of ketchup makes me want to gag even when not pregnant. 
    You're both wrong. 😁 Ketchup and ranch are both delicious, but have different applications.

@smmatt08 I can totally see that. We just need a better phrase.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    Yep I’m team @WinchesterGirl both have a place in my heart and I refuse to choose sides!

My UO is that I Don’t like fish tacos. 🤢🤮
  • Options
    My UO is that deli meat is disgusting. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    Plus also, hot sauce can go on pizza, eggs, rice, chips, fried chicken, corn, popcorn, all the tacos, on a spoon.
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• Options
    I concur with @suzycupcake about deli meat. I didn’t even realize people ate it so frequently and enthusiastically until I started reading pregnancy boards and now I come to see it’s a HOT TOPIC
  • Options
    @cato99 @suzycupcake oh man, I love deli turkey (especially cracked peppercorn) and salami. I could eat a pound of salami, by myself, in one sitting. #suchhealthy #muchnutrition #wow

• Options
    Plus also, hot sauce can go on pizza, eggs, rice, chips, fried chicken, corn, popcorn, all the tacos, on a spoon.
    @suzycupcake hello, soulmate. What's your favorite hot sauce? I'm super into Sriracha (so into it, I have a bottle at work) and The Pepper Plant.
  • Options
    @suzycupcake @ElcaB ooooo ladies I need to send y'all some local hot sauce made here in Chattanooga called Hoff Sauce. They have several kinds, one made with ghost peppers, and they're all amazeballs.

• Options
    @runningisrad YOU KNOW MY ADDRESS.

• Options
    @ElcaB

• Options
    The typos in the pinned threads on this board bother me. @olivemomma - help a sister out :#
  • Options
    olivemommaolivemomma member
    edited December 2018
    @smmatt08 what can I do to make your life a little better?

Edited to say I fixed the spelling typo I didn’t notice - thanks for calling me out though
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    smmatt08smmatt08 member
    edited December 2018
    @olivemomma You own the ultrasound thread so I think you can edit the title! ETA: Didn't intend to call you out, sorry!

• Options
    @runningisrad If you can ever get anything from Volpes in St Louis, you've scored what some real salami tastes like. Also, if Hoff & Pepper's opening statement is, "Dear Hot Sauce Lovers, You're Welcome.", I love them already. https://www.hoffandpepper.com/

@ElcaB +1 for spelling it correctly. Sriracha only goes in my ramen or pho. Okay sometimes on my pizza too if nothing else is available. Tapatio in my popcorn. Tajin and tapatio on my corn on the cob. Trader Joe's makes a really good medium red salsa and a great mild green salsa (both refrigerated because I cannot stand salsa from a jar, only hot sauce) that I like which can go on a lot of things. Recently, I went to a craft fair in my city. A company called Bravado Spice Co was there from Texas. The ladies and I stopped there to sample. Crimson and Crimson special reserve oh my God! The Pineapple & Habanero was pretty good too. 

Tabasco or tapatio on my eggs. Last night I dipped my baked chicken and my mashed potatoes in Crimson mmmmm! Cholula is good on occasion. There are some fire roasted hot sauces that I do not like the taste of. How about you?

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI