May 2019 Moms

Mommy-mobiles!

Let's talk about cars. 

First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? 
What do you currently drive? 
What do you like about it? What do you hate? 
Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? 

Image result for minivan meme
Ticker
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Mommy-mobiles!

• First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? 
    1 now, 2 in May - so I'll have DD in her convertible carseat and be lugging around the infant bucket in May.
    Nissan Rogue
    I really love this car and it's great for adults and 1 child. But where I live, people are constantly parking like a-holes and sometimes it's hard to get DD into her carseat. I can't imagine getting boxed in on both sides and trying to get two small ones into the car, including the infant bucket. So I really want sliding doors... 
    Apparently this is a UO/FFC, but I really want a minivan. We have been test driving (so obviously I started this thread selfishly), and we're down to the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid vs the Kia Sedona. I am truly torn between these two cars. I think it's going to come down to money: who is willing to give us a better deal. Unless anyone in this group has wonderful/terrible things to say about one or the other! If anyone has opinions on these vans, please let me know! 
    Ticker

• - First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? 

My my one and only is due in May 

- What do you currently drive? 

2017 VW Alltrack

- What do you like about it? What do you hate? 

This is a pretty new car for me and we got it with our future family in mind.  We looked at a lot of SUVs but I hated the way they drove. The Alltrack is a wagon so it’s sort of the best of both worlds for me.  It gives me the storage and trunk space I want while still being sporty, responsive and fun to drive.   It has AWD which was a must for the winters up here.  Plus heated leatherette seats, another must when it’s below freezing 5 months out of the year.

The biggest down side is that VWs are crazy expensive to repair. Thankfully, we got a pretty good warranty with it so we are good for a while on that front - I don’t think my husband would have agreed to it otherwise.  

- Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? 

Well this this car pretty much is my something different since I just got it back in July.  Previously I had a 15 year old VW Beetle which was not going to work as a family car for about a million reasons. 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • @poshspice I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue! I bought it for its safety rating and the 2015 has a bigger body/interior than the earlier year Rogues. Mine has plenty of room and has (although very small) 3rd row seating! I love it and never have issues with feeling like I have no room, but I often try to park next to cart collectors to avoid extra dings so I always have room on that side to fully open my door.
  • First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? I'll have 2
    What do you currently drive?  Nissan Sentra
    What do you like about it? What do you hate? This was my first car. I've had her for 10 years now. She has a name and I literally love her 😂 But she's filthy, I take terrible care of her. And she's small. And old. 

I would like at some point to get a minivan. But I think we'll wait until I start working. We own both of our cars outright, so taking on a payment is really unappealing. 
  • How many kids do you have/will you have in May?  Two now, three in May

What do you currently drive? Subaru Forester

What do you like about it? What do you hate? I like that it's not too gigantic, and it drives fine, is easy to park, etc. I don't love that it was a PITA to get rear-facing car seats with a load leg installed properly since the seat bight is not in the normal spot (just why Subaru?). It has been great for us for the past three years -- bought when I was pregnant with DD2 -- and having two kiddos in the back has been fine.

Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? I will be keeping my Forester -- already played car-seat musical chairs and determined that two Diono Radians and a Chicco Keyfit will fit three-across in the back.  I was bummed that we won't be able to make it work with a Britax Boulevard ClickTight, but there just wasn't enough room. DH, who currently drives a Ford Focus, will be upgrading to a minivan... he's planning for a Toyota Sienna I think, but we haven't gotten extremely serious about test driving, etc. yet. His will be the "family car" that we take when we are all together.
    kids with flags
    We have 1 now and will have 2 in May.

I drive a Toyota RAV4 and DH drives a Mazda 3

I love my RAV4 and hate DHs Mazda 3- it’s soooo low to the ground and barely fits DDs convertible seat rear facing in the middle seat.

I want DH to get a new car, but we still have 2 years left on our car payment for my car. We should be able to fit the bucket next to DD for a year, but I doubt we will be able to fit 2 rear facing convertible seats rear-facing. I can’t in good conscious turn DD around early, so I think that’s when we will need to pull the trigger. He wants a Subaru cross Tek, but I want him to get the Subaru Outback. Or maybe even a Toyota Highlander with a 3rd row. Our issue is not transporting the kids, but the kids and the DOG (lab/border collie mix) who we take with us when we go to my ILs vacation place 2.5 hours from here. Right now he rides in his crate in the back of the car and we put all the luggage next to DD. DHs plan is to get a bin to put on the roof rack for the luggage and keep things the same when LO is born. We will see!
     I'll have 2 in May 
    2016 RAV4
    I love my RAV. This is the second one I've had. My son is almost to the rear facing weight limit on his convertible car seat so I think we'll be flipping him before the baby is here. We should have plenty of room for the bucket seat and the convertible together. 
    We want something different for my husband. He "drives" an 09 HHR but was given a company truck so it really just sits in the driveway because we only take my car when we go out. We'll be giving the HHR to our oldest nephew this summer when he turns 16 so we're looking into a extended cab truck with a full bed for hubs new vehicle. Depending on what we come up with I may give up the RAV to may payments easier on a truck since I miss having one also. 

• First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? 3 in May
    What do you currently drive? I drive a crv and dh drives a Toyota Sienna (I have a longer commute so I take the more fuel efficient car). 

What do you like about it? What do you hate?  Love the way my crv drives and it is good in the snow. I am hoping to squish in a third car seat for afternoon pick up so I don’t have to drive the van to work. I love the mink van. Sliding doors with two kids makes getting in and out so much easier and we have so much room! We travel a lot so it’s helpful that we can fit all our stuff and there is plenty of room for the dog too! 

Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why?  We just got the mini van last December in anticipation of eventually wanting a third child and needing room for when we c’est the grandparents around too. I love it. If we can squish 3 kids into the crv for short trips i will definitely stick with it. It will be paid off next year and it has served us well so far with 2 kids. 
  • First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? - 3
    A 2011 Hyundai Accent and a 2010 Kia Soul
    The Accent has great mileage. The Kia is *slightly* more spacious so it's good for the three of us as it is. But cramming 1 preschooler and 2 infants into EITHER car is a nightmare we're facing at the moment.
    Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? YES. I desperately want a mini van. IDGAF if it's not "cool" I want something that will fit all of us and all our shit. I would get a new car tomorrow but we can't get a car payment. Not yet. I've been silently begging my dad to gift me their mini van but that ain't gonna happen. So we will have to make do. The good news is, it's all very temporary. We'll probably only have to deal with a shitty car situation for about a year. We want our credit to be clean as possible because we're planning to move. Once we get our new house secured we'll focus on looking at new vehicles.
  • First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May?  3/4 (but I had 4 kids for a lot of the last year because of doing foster care)

What do you currently drive? A Chrysler Town and Country

What do you like about it? What do you hate? I LOVE my van.  Sliding doors are great with kids.  I love the stow and go seats.  It has plenty of storage area in the back even with all the seats up.  It has dual DVD players with wireless headphones which is awesome because we travel a lot. 

Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why?  My DH flips cars on the side and I have had a lot of different main vehicles over the years (more than 15, I've lost count).  I've had this for just over a year, and I told him that he isn't allowed to switch me out unless its to a newer model or a Pacifica (which replaced the Town and Country).  I know there is a lot of hate for minivans, but I love mine.  
  • So we also had a RAV4 until I totaled it last January. It would not have worked for the three kids we'll have come May. It is narrow, especially for a (small) SUV and even Dionos wouldn't fit three across. We replaced if with a Mazda CX9, which will fit three across in the middle row plus it has an optional third row. It should work just fine for three kids, eventually four if that occurs since my oldest would be in a booster by that time and could buckle herself fine in the back. Right now we keep the third row down unless we need it for visiting family. I love how much space it has in the trunk. We have plenty of space for all our stuff for a vacation (with a clamshell on top) and can still fit my 75# dog comfortably with her bed for travel.
  • @mrskoz428 I have a 2015 Rogue too! My H has a 2009 Rogue - we really love that car lol. It’s been great for me with one kid, because her car seat has ended up behind the driver’s side due to how our garage is (and after she was born I really struggled to get the infant bucket into the middle of the car, so we had to move it), so when we go places I can kind of park one-sided to give us more space, but that won’t be an option with two kids anymore. Most of the parking lots around us have small spaces and most people park like jerks/don’t know how to park. If I could get my Rogue fit with sliding doors, I would because I love the car! But minivan is kind of the only option. Plus minivans are kind of awesome for having kids. They’re so nice these days - not like when I was little! 
    Ticker

• First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May?  2
    What do you currently drive? 2013 Ford Explorer
    What do you like about it? What do you hate? I love it, but sometimes the computer malfunctions. The navigation system isn't perfect and sometimes the whole thing just freezes and we can't play music or do anything. It's rare that happens, but it's still annoying. Otherwise though, great car. Lots of room in the back too and the trunk even converts into a third row for extra seating.
    Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? We're going to ride this one out for a while. It is kind of our weekend/vacation car since I take the train to work and DH drives his pick-up for work, so miles aren't an issue. I honestly picture teaching DDs how to drive in this thing. When the kids are older and not gross and messy, I would love some kind of luxury mid size suv.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? We will have 2
    What do you currently drive? 2015 Honda Pilot, dh has a 2012 Ford F-150 
    What do you like about it? What do you hate? I love everything about it! We love Honda’s though. We bought it anticipating three across eventually, we keep the third row down and travel often (locally and long distance) with our two goldens, crated in the back. It works now with us putting luggage in the back seat with ds, but we will need a luggage rack on top or off the trailer hitch once we have a second car seat in back. 
    Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? We will be fine with this set up until we have three, and then we will reevaluate space/having no space in between kids in the back, if they fight a bunch or something. We were car shopping for dh this summer and test drove the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey, I like that the sienna can have awd but liked the way the odyssey drove a lot more. If we ever do go the minivan route we will get an odyssey. 
  • @peachy13 I think we're planning on an Explorer!

First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? 1 now, 2 in May
    What do you currently drive? I have a 2014 Ford Escape, DH has a 2009 Ford Mustang
    What do you like about it? What do you hate? I really like my Escape in general, but rear facing seats are tight in it since it's a "small" SUV and I'm nervous about fitting car seats across since we're planning for a 3rd ~2 years after this LO (fully reserving the right to change our mind with 2 21 months apart already!). I would have thought the back row was wider but not sure what will fit. I bought Clek since it's narrow but it has to recline so much (the Graco Extend2Fit doesn't recline as far) so the Clek is in DH's car as it touched the seats in mine which is a big no-no. It will work for DD once she's forward facing, so not all lost
    Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? My car will be paid off in a little under a year. DH's car was paid off before I bought mine (we weren't technically married but were engaged/living together). He has the passenger seat ALL the way forward to fit DD's convertible since he's in a 2 door sports car. I haven't ridden in that car since DD was born 16 months ago. I want something with an optional 3rd row since we tend to try to only have one car payment at a time, with them staggered every 5 years. I'm planning on a Ford Explorer as we like US brands for maintenance costs (since we keep cars so long). Honestly, it'd be better if it was my car and DH could keep a sedan of some kind, just more sensible than the muscle car, but I wanted an SUV when I bought my car 4 years ago and don't see DH taking my Escape. I have 0% interest on my car loan so no way am I paying it off early, so we might end up with overlapping car payments which would really be NBD, but I'm convinced we can wait until October/November next year since LO won't be starting daycare until then. The only reason we need to have 2 car seats in DH's car is if he's doing daycare pickup for 2, since he can keep getting DD from daycare while I'm on maternity leave, but DH dreads going car shopping with a toddler AND an infant, so wants to buy the car before this LO is born. DH's commute also is going to get a lot worse come August when their office is moving so I might convince him to wait so he can get better gas mileage until both kids are in daycare. As you can see, we've thought about this a lot.

Long shot but does anyone have a Ford Escape with 3 across? I'm at least 2 years ahead of myself but hoping 2 diono radians (or a diono and the clek if DD Is forward facing by then) plus the keyfit which is pretty narrow fit in the Escape.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? We will have 2 
    What do you currently drive?  Ford Focus hatchback and Honda Accord. 
    What do you like about it? What do you hate? Love the gas mileage.  Like most of you, I hate when people park so close and you can’t get your kid in.  When my daughter was rear facing the passenger side has to be pushed up pretty far so hard to have all of us ride comfortably for any distance. 
    Do you want to get something different? Can’t wait to get a mini van with sliding doors and space- if I need to nurse while out the back seat is more comfortable and conducive for that as well.   so, what/why? Not looking forward to having another car payment.  Most likely we will get the odyssey. 
  • How many kids do you have/will you have in May? We'll have 3 kids in May
    What do you currently drive? 2015 GMC Yukon XL (DH has a 2015 GMC Sierra)
    What do you like about it? What do you hate? Love almost everything.  We travel a lot with different family members in tow, and also often with our chocolate lab.  We got the configuration with middle row bucket seats and the 3rd row bench.  The third row has enough space that an adult can sit back there fairly comfortably, car seats fit well in any seat however 3 across in the 3rd row would probably take some juggling and its a little more difficult to buckle seats back there.  Fuel economy is surprisingly wonderful for such a large vehicle too.  I hate the clearance.  We live in a rural area and most of our long-distance driving is to other smaller towns so it usually isn't a big deal, but when I do go into the city for doctors' appts or shopping parking is a royal pain.  
    Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? Nope.  I love it.  If we lived in a city I would have chosen a smaller SUV or a minivan simply for the ease of getting around locally.  Plus, our preferred boarding kennels are all near the city so right now we travel with the dog for at least a couple hours whenever we leave town until we can drop her off whereas if we lived in the city she would rarely come with us so we wouldn't need extra space for her.  The cargo space seemed a little excessive at first, but it makes total sense for our family and for what I do with the vehicle regularly.  Once baby #3 comes along, DD1 will be in the 3rd row all the time.  She is 5 and is still in a 5-point harness (Britax Frontier).  She can buckle herself, and usually unbuckle too (however unbuckling is easy for me to just reach and arm back and click the button).  The Frontier has tons of height for her so I plan to keep her in a 5-point until a) she passes the 5-step test to move to a booster full time and b) she can buckle and unbuckle herself in the booster seat.  Right now when we have practiced with the booster she often struggles with the the seatbelt and that's even harder to reach into the 3rd row to do than buckling a harness. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    We’ll have two come May (DS will still be RFing at that time) 

I have a 2011 Ford Flex

I love the space it has. It has a third row bench that has 2 seats, but we just leave it down so there is more than enough space for all our things plus our XL dog. It is a bit like driving a boat because it is so wide and low. I would love something bigger with captain’s seats and a third row bench just so we would have the option of toting more people around. 
  • @kvh22 I don't drive a Ford Escape, but my mom does, and the dimensions are very similar to my Subaru Forester. I definitely think two Radians and a KeyFit would fit.
    kids with flags
    We will have 1 in May

I drive a Chevy Tahoe.

I love the room it has. Optional 3rd row seating or a ton of storage space. 4 wheel drive and towing are both super important for us  

I *hate* the gas mileage but H has a couple ideas to help that. 

Not really. Overall i love my car and its paid for so really dont want to add a payment to the mix. But if i were to get a new car I'd go back to the Subaru outback in a heartbeat. I had one in college and loved it. Drove it until just after 450k miles and sold her when I got the Tahoe. 
  • First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? 3 in May

What do you currently drive? We just bought a Honda Odyssey last week. Used to drive a Toyota Corolla. 

What do you like about it? What do you hate? So far loving it. The sliding doors are awesome with kids and doing drop off and pickup at school. No worrying about the kids opening their door into the car next to us. 

Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? We bought it used from a friend so it had a few more dings and scratches than I would have liked but they gave us an awesome deal and we paid cash. Going to drive it for a couple of years and hopefully upgrade to a newer one. But I think I am definitely sold on driving a mini van. Maybe when they get to high school age we can get Subaru. 

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? We have 1 kiddo and in May it’ll be 2.

What do you currently drive? I drive a 2006 Lexus LX470 (like a Toyota Land Cruiser but, believe it or not, cheaper and with a wood steering wheel. FYI, once Lexus’ are about 5-7 years old, their Toyota counterparts typically are seen as “cooler” and tend to be more expensive. Also, the Lexus versions usually have lower miles too because of the demographic driving them.)

What do you like about it? What do you hate? I love that is super burley but still great for around the town. I’m constantly heading off into the mountains to some random hunting camp driving on “roads” no one in their right mind would think are passable even in a 4-wheeler. The Lexus kills it every time and I have never worried about DS being safe and sound in it. I also can haul everything and the kitchen sink in it and still tow our adventure trailer with us. It’s a phenomenal vehicle! I don’t like it’s age as it’s starting to act up a bit, but it has served us well so far. It does have an optional 3rd row, but when #2 is here, the pup will have to be in back instead of sitting next to DS in the middle so 3rd row won’t be used often. I also despise how horrible of gas mileage it gets. 

Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why?  I would love to get a newer version of my car but it’s not in the cards at the moment. DH has 3 other vehicles - a mountain rig (which I’m planting seeds for him to sell because it just sits 10 months out of the year and it’s money we could use somewhere else), his truck for sales/work calls, and his around-the-town Land Cruiser. I’m appalled that we have more cars than people living in our house. It’s really ridiculous.
    FIVE in May!

2013 GMC Terrain

Love it! It has lots of room in front seat and back seat! Lots of "trunk" space as well. I don't really dislike anything about it other than it not being big to fit us now and definitely not going to fit later. (Two of our babies come every other weekend so we drive 2 vehicles if we go anywhere for now.)

Oh yes! Hope to be getting a van in the next few months since I'm over the whole "Am I really getting a van before 30" thing. I think I'm liking the Dodge Caravan. Anyone have one?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sketner610Sketner610 member
    edited December 2018
    How many kids do you have/will you have in May? Three
    GMC Acadia
    I love that it has three rows, and that the third row folds completely flat. I also love that it has overhead air vents for the back seats (very important in Arizona where we live). I hate that it has captains seats. I didn’t think that part through and now it’s gonna be so hard to get my oldest (3 years old and in a car seat) into the very back when I have two rear facing convertible car seats up front. 
    Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why? I’ve only had this car 2 years so I doubt I’ll be getting something new, but if I did I would want the same car without the captains seats in the second row, or I’d want a Ford Explorer with a full second row.  
  • @Sketner610 start working with your oldest on buckling their own carseat.  My 3 year old can mostly do hers now, and I really haven't been encouraging it much at all.  Its much easier to buckle oneself than unbuckle, but it is much easier for mom to reach one hand back to pop the buckle open than it is to get both arms back there to buckle up the car seat.  Also, worst case, it might be easier to have both older kids in the 3rd row (if the RF seat fits) and leave the captain chair in front of the RF car seat folded.  Then you could climb right in to buckle both kids.  My 3 yo is no longer RF, but I do stick her in the 3rd row with my 5yo when we will have other adults riding with us.  Its just way nicer to have the car seats in the back leaving the middle row free to fold and move as needed. 
  • @Sketner610 @DressageDarling ahh so the pros/cons of captains vs full second row is something we'll need to work through, as well. As I mentioned above, this LO and DD will be 21 months apart, and then thinking would be to have a 3rd with a similar age gap (no idea how we'll feel with 2, though). I wanted about ~2 year age gaps and didn't want to assume we'd get pregnant right away, but we were very lucky and here we are.

Maybe a STM+ question for that thread, but how old do you think the kid needs to be for that to not be a major hassle (oldest kid in the 3rd row while in a car seat if you get captain's chairs). I kind of have always preferred a full second row but if the 3rd is being used all the time, that seems inconvenient.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @mcewen3I never thought about putting both older kids in the very back. That’s not a bad idea. I’m not sure both sides in the back have anchors though. I thought I remember there only being anchors on one side. I’ll have to look into it. My oldest is autistic so him buckling himself in probably won’t happen, but keeping that one middle section free would be soooo much easier. My only issue is that my second child is only going to be 16 months old when the new baby comes so I’m a bit hesitant about putting her way in the back since she won’t be just arms distance away if she’s crying or needs something. 
  • First, how many kids do you have/will you have in May? Will have 3 once this babe comes!
    What do you currently drive? Honda Cr-V
    What do you like about it? What do you hate? I like that its reliable, has a sunroof and 6 disc CD changer.
    Do you want to get something different? If so, what/why. I definitely want to get a car with a 3rd row, probably a minivan since they are more affordable than 3 row SUVs. I really prefer Honda or Toyota. That said we really cant afford a new car right now so we will instead invest in some narrow car seats to fit 3 across! Hubby is changing jobs within the Navy and we plan to get a bigger car once we have to move probably 8 to 12 months after baby's arrival :)

• @Sketner610 it does make it a little more challenging if your son can't help the younger sibling out.  My kids are a little older, but my older daughter has been able to help her sister with minor little things while travelling for a while.  It makes a big difference if they are out of arms reach.  Generally speaking though, the anchors shouldn't be an issue.  As long as you can get a secure install, using the seatbelt is just as safe as using the lower anchors.  The only thing you need to watch for is top tether anchors once they are forward facing, as that is very important and not all 3rd rows have them for all seats.
  • @mcewen3 Thanks for the advice! That’s all very helpful to know! I’ll be sure to look into that soon! 
    2, the new baby and a 22mo in a rear-facing seat

I have a Subaru Forester, and DH has a Mazda CX5

I love the safety ratings on both cars.  The Subaru feels high-end and has a huge moon roof and almost no blind-spots because of how the windows are positioned.  When I am approaching the car after dark, there is a little light that comes on from the side mirror to show the door handle.  It has good cargo space.  The speaker sound is great.  I get frustrated by the electronic transmission when I am backing out because it takes longer to switch from reverse to drive, but once I figured it out I like how it accelerates onto the highway.  I also wish that I had an after-market remote start instead of the Subaru one, because the range on the one I have is ridiculously short (like 75ft or something), so I can't use it to start the car when I am still inside a store.

The Mazda is much sportier in a lot of ways, which my husband loves but I think is just ok.  One of those features is that the seats "hug" you more, which I find not as comfortable.  We have lane-departure and blindspot monitoring (which includes warnings when someone is coming when you are backing up) which I like.  The back seat is a little smaller than I would like, and we will have to put DD1's carseat as far upright as possible to fit it behind the driver.

We don't plan to right away, but will replace the Mazda when my husband's lease is up in another year.  We will probably upgrade to the 3-row CX9 (he works for Mazda and gets a stipend toward his payment), which is really nice and has plenty of space in the backseat.  If we decide to have a third, I will need a new vehicle, too, but I don't know what.