April 2019 Moms

Week 1 Check-in w/o 12/3

Due date: 

Any appointments? Questions? 

Rants/Raves? 

How are you feeling? 

GTKY: What was your favorite children’s book when you were little? do you still have a copy?

Re: Week 1 Check-in w/o 12/3

• Due date: 4/2

Any appointments? Questions? Progesterone shots continue, plus an appt with an actual ob.

Rants/Raves? Rant: the shots make me nauseous. Rave: I am hopeful this baby will make it to term!

How are you feeling? Other than ongoing back injury pain...highly emotional. But physically ok.

GTKY: I really loved my nicely bound and color plated copies of Heidi and Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates.

• Due date:  4/1

Any appointments? Questions?  12/12 is my next appointment.  

Rants/Raves?  Feeling baby move pretty consistently now, and loving it.  Blood sugar is pretty under control with metformin, although yesterday was a bad day.  

How are you feeling?  I feel pretty good.  My sciatica is bothering me quite a bit though.  Would love to get a massage! 

GTKY: What was your favorite children’s book when you were little? do you still have a copy?  Love Matilda by Ronald Dahl.  I’m a former teacher, so at one point, I had 4 or 5 copies, but I’m down to just 1 now.  

• Loading the player...
  • My little Poptart is due 4.2

Every day by the end of the day, I have a backache, and by the morning it feels fine again. Does anyone else have a backache (unrelated to a previous injury, sciatica, or misalignment) daily or almost daily, too? I understand it's only going to get worse! 😕

Rants/Raves? My sweet husband thinks my stretch marks are painful, even though I've told him they're not, so he's been putting aloe on them. 😉 I love the extra care and my skin feels softer, but I don't think it actually accomplishes anything.

How are you feeling? Really good, I can hardly wait to meet my Poptart next year!

GTKY: What was your favorite children’s book when you were little? do you still have a copy? The Royal Raven by Hans Wilhelm was my favorite children's book. The pages sparkled and shined and I liked the moral. I don't have a copy of the book, but it is on my registry.

I'm sorry you ladies are experiencing back pain. I am sure it's worse than mine and here I am complaining.

• Due date: April 2

Any appointments? Questions? No Appts this week. Signed up for a childbirth class starting in Jan, and feeling excited about doing that with my husband to prepare more for the birth

Rants/Raves? Caught a cold... sad about it since I feel horrible but also feel like I have too much to do to take time off. Working from home when I can. 

How are you feeling? See above. Aside from cold have been okay. I get backache from sitting in a car or on my not comfy enough couch, but strategic use of cushions has helped. I am feeling the baby move a lot and it is fun, although also so strange sometimes, when I am immersed in a book or something, and then become suddenly pulled back into my body and reality of pregnancy with the bigger, more noticeable kicks!

GTKY: What was your favorite children’s book when you were little? do you still have a copy? I loved A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett and still have the leather-bound copy my grandmother gave me as a child.

• Due date: April 4th

Any appointments? Questions? Had an appointment last week and everything checked out perfectly. How active is your baby and when are they active?

Rants/Raves? Registry list is driving me insane. I try to attempt to tackle it but end up diving off of the deep end of research for one product for an hour or so. Overwhelming isn't enough to describe how I feel about it LOL. 

How are you feeling? Great, I workout about 5 times a week still and indulge in all of my serious cravings during the weekends. The holidays have me in good spirits as well. 

GTKY: What was your favorite children’s book when you were little? do you still have a copy? Rainbow Fish! I believe my parents still have a copy. I will be searching for it to bring back to P's nursery when I visit in January. 

• @reycw I think this one is pretty active, at least compared to DD. This placenta being posterior helps in feeling it, vs DD’s anterior placenta. I notice it for about 10 min at a time (not that I time it) 3 or 4 times a day, consistently around 9 pm or bedtime. 

@laurainoakland what class(es) have you signed up for?
  • @laurainoakland I am signed up for a childbirth & late pregnancy class class as well. I've got to make sure I reschedule it since we have a parenting class same time & date.
    @reycw my little guy or girl is pretty active. S/he doesn't stay still very long, or at least is getting big enough to feel often now, and I wonder how much of what I feel is baby moving during sleep cycles. I can count on feeling baby move daily between lunch time and about 3pm and soon after bedtime (DH and I start our bedtime routine at 9. That's still not early enough for me!). Last night at about 11 s/he was really moving! It was as if an aerobics class was being held in my womb.
    Sidenote: I have lots of downtime, my schedule is very open and I don't have other children. I think that has to do with how often I can feel the baby move as well as placenta position. If I had a job that required plenty of focus and other kids at home - normal distractions - I don't think I would notice baby's smaller movements.
    It's nice to feel like I'm bonding with him or her without any stress about diapering, feeding, soothing, etc. Not that baby knows I even exist at the moment haha
  • Due date: April 1, 2019

I had an appointment with an OB-GYN yesterday regarding some placental issues, nothing big or scary. However, then he noticed that I had two inconclusive NIPT tests and starts asking why I was never sent for amnio. I explained that even though my NIPT tests were inconclusive and I know that is associated with a higher risk of abnormalities, my first trimester screening and anatomy scan came back normal, so both my midwife and family doctor (who has obstetrics training) felt it was unnecessary. He keeps saying that even though my first trimester screening was normal (1 in 8000 for Down Syndrome) and my anatomy scan is normal, it doesn't mean everything is healthy and that I need to make a decision about amnio ASAP since I am 22 weeks and only have a handful of days left when it can be safely done. I explained that I understand that my normal tests were screening tests and not diagnostic but that I didn't want amnio since the risk of miscarriage was higher than the risk of Down Syndrome and the chances that something was seriously wrong while all my other tests were normal just seemed really low.

But now I am panicking and wondering if I should have said yes to amnio :/

Rants/Raves? 

Chocolate cake is amazing, that is all.

How are you feeling? 

Mixed. I keep spraining my ankle so that combined with my amnio freakout have me down. On the plus side, the Hubs and I have been having a rough time communicating with house hunting but it feels like we had a breakthrough this weekend and are finally on the same page. 

@reycw my baby is punk and is already keeping me up with kicks, he kicks everyday, throughout the day.

GTKY: What was your favorite children’s book when you were little? do you still have a copy?

The Velveteen Rabbit! I still have the book and my stuffed rabbit my parents got me to go with the book. The rabbit was my favorite stuffie growing up.

• @happymoni21 that sounds like a pretty logical decision and like your ob’s “make a decision on this” means “make the decision I would make on this, ie to have the amnio.” If you’re comfortable with a bit of unknown (and I say this as the parent of a baby born at 26 weeks sooo there were lots of unknowns even though NIPT came back normal), then you can be confident that you’ve made a decision already with the people who know your pregnancy best.
  • Thanks for the support @lyse01. Feeling better about my decision today :)
  • Due date: 4/3

Any appointments? Questions?  Meeting with my doc tomorrow to choose a hospital and delivery doctor. The doctor and hospital she recommends are very inconveniently located but I’m thinking if it’s her highest recommendation, I should just go with it and hope I don’t have a short labour during rush hour haha

Rants/Raves? Rant - I have a cold and it sucks.  Also I’m working on report cards for 300+ kids that have to be finished tonight.  Wish me luck!  Rave - bought my first piece of baby furniture this week - a FP Rock n Play that a few friends swear by. I bought it used and I plan to get as much as I can second hand - baby won’t know!

How are you feeling?  Aside from the cold, mostly fine.  I still did a headstand demonstration for one of my classes today, so go me!

Also, I am hungry. All. The. Time. 

I loved The Secret Garden, Heidi, Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz! Still have copies of all of them!

• @happymoni21 I agree with @lyse01. Sounds like you made a well thought decision. Glad you are feeling better about it; it’s a shame when medical professionals leave you feeling more worried than before. And sometime the analysis they have of costs v benefits just doesn’t add up! 

@lyse01 and @mighty_montgomery I signed up for an 8 week childbirth prep class that’s held at the birth center where we are planning to have our baby. I think most of the appointments are about labor and delivery- going through the basics as well as best practices, relaxation techniques, positions to labor in etc. they also cover breastfeeding and baby care to some degree. I had my son over 14 years ago now. So feel like I could use some review! But this is also going to be my husbands first baby. And he is very excited to be actively involved in the birth, so I think him getting to practice how to help a woman in labor will be good for us both! Also excited to meet other expecting parents in the neighborhood.