April 2019 Moms
Options

Mental Health Support Group

Whether it’s grief, depression, anxiety, bipolar, meds issues, or some complex and overwhelming situation, this thread is for talking it out and getting some support. Use it whenever and however you need it.

Re: Mental Health Support Group

• Options
    @kangstadt high five! That’s one day down. Hope you can make it again today or tomorrow!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm struggling as well. I can't tell if it's more mental or physical discomfort. But my gas pain continues, I'm not sleeping well and these make me bad all day so I dont want to do anything. Then I feel guilty for not contributing to the house chores as much as I should and also not working out. Sorry for the ramble but I'm tired and its hard to form coherent sentences lol 
  • Options
    @rennie1108, don't apologize!  I've been struggling with daily chores as well.  I'm trying to give myself a little grace and realize that this too shall pass.  It's tough now, especially with the holidays, but this part of pregnancy and life won't be this crazy forever.  I'm sorry you haven't been sleeping well - I know some of the other moms on here have mentioned taking a half tab of unisom to help them with insomnia, maybe it's something to ask your doctor about?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kangstadt yeah I'm definitely going to mention it to the doc at my next apt. I really haven't had much to complain about to my doc at my monthly apts but this time it's going to be very different! I'm also trying both a chiropractor and acupuncture this week to try and do something for the gas and constipation. It's so awful.
  • Options
    My husband leaves tonight for three weeks for a work trip out of the country and I’m a serious mess!! We’ve never been apart for more than two days and I’ve never had to sleep in a house all alone... so I’m kind of freaked. Trying to stay strong and not spend the last few hours I’ve got with him today bawling my eyes out... but the pregnancy emotions are not helping😔 I know three weeks is really not a long time... but I’ve never had to do anything like this so I’m a bit stressed about it. Especially during the winter... I’m a terrible driver in poor weather, he normally drives. Any and all good vibes/thoughts/prayers accepted 😂 
  • Options
    lyse01lyse01 member
    edited December 2018
    @frenchfrymama if you have a little time and some spare paper/envelopes, maybe write each other little daily notes for the next three weeks? Friends whose spouses have been on deployment/friends who have been the spouses on deployment have really loved holding something tangible from their spouse.

maybe also see if you can get some visitors to come during those three weeks to break up the quiet house?

eta: whenever DH and I are apart, we write postcards from not-home. We haven’t travelled much recently (together or separately) but there’s the start to a nice little scrapbook of lovenotes in a memory box in his office.
  • Options
    Thanks for starting this thread!

@kangstadt Glad that you've had a bit of a better day. Hopefully today is also going well.

@rennie1108 Good luck! Gas pain so bad that it's interrupting your sleep doesn't sound like a "normal" pregnancy symptom, so hopefully you can find some relief. Maybe some diet changes could help, too. No specific suggestions there because everyone's gut is different, but perhaps worth a try. As for house chores, I definitely remember seeing some other people on this board talking about having to hire help for house chores during pregnancy. Not a feasible option for everyone, but I just bring it up as something that it seems like a struggle while pregnant. I remember during first trimester when I was super nauseous being daunted by taking out the recycling.

@frenchfrymama Being apart is tough! I think @lyse01 had some good suggestions. I'd add that you can talk on the phone each day or send video messages, which is something I've done when apart from my partner. Also inviting some friends over for meals and sleepovers should help! Overall, it's if you can stay busy while he's gone. You'll still miss him, but it helps the time pass.

I just want to report my success of finally actually making an appointment to try to find a therapist. I know that I've been anxious and depressed for months but I was too exhausted on the issue after I spent hours on the phone with our insurance company trying to figure out if/what mental health was covered. That was weeks ago, so no props for speedy progress, but inching forward is better than nothing.

• Options
    @frenchfrymama, I definitely feel you on the sleeping alone thing.  I hate when DH is away for work and I'm in an empty (or mostly empty, with DS and our furbaby still here) house.  I agree with the previous suggestions, and seconr that trying to stay busy is the best way to make the time pass!

@mesweettea, keep it up <3.  Movement forward is still forward, regardless of the speed.  I know that I struggle from the typical cycle of "two steps forward, one step back," in my depression, but any upward or positive step is still a positive!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mesweettea high five to you too on getting an appointment scheduled! That’s one of the biggest hurdles, and I 100% think it’s the hardest. Do you have any techniques you’re using in the meantime to get through it all?
  • Options
    mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited December 2018
    Ugh anxiety is terrible. I went off my PPA/PPD medications when I found out I was pregnant and I will need to go back on them when he is born. 

DH took DD most of the day yesterday but she’s just in the phase of having a meltdown over Every. Little. Thing. And I don’t have patience right now. 
  • Options
    @mrstmoose You can do it! You just have to make it until her bedtime, right? Even if you're on the west coast, it can't be that far off...

@lyse01 I mentioned this in the randoms thread, but I've been reconnecting with a lot of old friends. I've been a bit of a vagrant over the past ten years, so I've left a lot of people by physically moving away. It turns out that pretty much everyone that is very receptive to talking again and catching up, even if we really haven't talked in years. Because I'm spreading out my whining, the other person doesn't get fed up with hearing the same things repeatedly; but also it's great for giving me perspective about my life -- each of these people know different aspects of me -- and then also learning about what my friends have been doing reminds me that there's other stuff going on in the world beyond my anxieties. It definitely calms me down and removes the feelings of doom for at least a few hours. The worst part is getting the courage sending that first message of "hey, it's been a while, want to catch up" but it's been worth it. I've talked to everyone from old room mates and coworkers to family members to high school besties. I think the phone conversations have been best, but some of the text chats that I've had also made me feel better. I'd definitely recommend it to as a short term mood boost to try.
  • Options
    @lyse01 these are great suggestions!! We had a busy day with family wanting to see him and such so I didn’t get to write him the note like I had planned on😔 but we will have the ability to talk daily so hopefully that will help. I have some friends that are planning to come visit at a couple different times and some family memebers that have told me their doors are open any time. I’m really lucky to be surrounded by great people

@mesweettea I have alllll kinda of baby projects to work on while he is away.. so hopefully I will keep fairly busy!! I’m going to try and make lots of plans so that I don’t spend too much time sitting around alone. Also, congrats on taking steps toward starting therapy!! That’s fantastic! I hope you find a therapist you love.

@kangstadt sleeping alone is the worst. Luckily I just got a big huge pregnancy pillow 😂 I’m hoping that will ease me into being alone a little bit better... haha.
  • Options
    I've had panic attacks for 8 years now. The past few years I've gotten a much better handle on them and with my last pregnancy last year, I felt great. This pregnancy I feel much more anxiety and during the past few weeks, my panic attacks have greatly increased. 

This morning I had a huge panic attack with my son while at the grocery store. Ears ringing, shaking, heart pounding, feeling like I'm going to faint. It's so awful. It has me feeling very defeated and depressed today. I hate the hold it gets on my life. 
  • Options
    @elmich3 hugs. Mostly hugs. 

Is there something you can do to address the cause of the panic (like, buy a can of paint if it’s that you haven’t painted yet and baby won’t have a nursery ready), or something you can do afterwards to get yourself back on track?
  • Options
    @lyse01 Thank you. 

And that's been my problem, I have no idea the source of my panic or stress. I'm not stressed about baby stuff, my son and husband are great and life is good. Which makes it that much more frustrating. I've never known why I'm plagued with this. Other than maybe hereditary, my mom has always had panic attacks. I never knew until I started getting them and she told me.

After a panic attack like today, I like to take it easy and give myself a break. Then later on, go out and "conquer" going out and not having a panic attack to raise my confidence and not make me want to shut myself indoors lol. 

It's just a hard thing. 

• Options
    @elmich3, hugs as well.  I haven't suffered from full on panic attacks like that, but some of my anxiety attacks feel similar.  Is there a friend or someone you can reach out to when you're having a panic attack that knows how to talk you down?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kangstadt thank you. My husband, he's the only one that makes me feel better so I always give him a call. I know I really should seek out a professional to talk to and see if behavioral therapy or something could help after so many years of this. I've gone on different medications before that didnt help much. I'd rather find the source instead of just masking with medication. (I have nothing against meds, they are great for so many people) I just really want to find the source. Especially being pregnant and not wanting to stress the baby out. Talking about it helps so thanks for the listen :) 
  • Options
    emeraldisle17emeraldisle17 member
    edited December 2018
    @elmich3 oh mama, I'm so sorry you're plagued with panic attacks! It's been about a decade since I was in college and suffered a period of 5ish months of constantly feeling like I had weights on my chest, interspersed with panic attacks (sweating, ringing in ears, heart pounding, numbness/tingling in hands and arms). It was AWFUL. It was so frustrating because there was no reason for me to have felt anxious; I loved school and my friends, and was excited to be spending a semester abroad in a few months, so it felt like I was experiencing these physical symptoms out of nowhere. I finally ended up making an appointment with the school psychologist because although like you I didn't WANT to be medicated, I felt like the panic attacks were so disruptive of everything (sleep, my classes, social life, etc.) that I had to do something. The psychologist wrote me a prescription and don't you know, as soon as I had it filled it was like I woke up one morning and my symptoms were gone...the only thing I can think of was that talking to a professional and taking steps in a direction to get help helped me to get over it. I'm not sure why or how, beyond that. Since then there have been days over the years where I thought I've felt the tightness in my chest come back or a panic attack creep on, but nothing like those 5 months in college. This is my first pregnancy and in the back of my mind I've wondered what effect, if any, pregnancy would have on my anxiety, but so far i've been feeling great.

Anxiety aside - both my mother and grandmother suffered from post-partum depression, so that has me on my toes. My mom's was retrospective, as her generation didn't really talk about it but looking back she can see that she had it a little bit and is advising me to be on watch. And my grandmother - now that was a totally different generation, and my mom didn't find out until she was 50 and admitting my grandmother to the hospital for something else, that my grandmother had been admitted to the psych ward in the 1950's for post partum depression. How terrible is that??  It was just a huge family secret/embarrassment.  I've thought about finding a therapist to do some 'pro-active' talk therapy just to make sure I'm in the right mindset and have the right coping strategies come April, but it's tough when I feel like there are a million other things on my to-do list....

I'm so glad we have this thread started and I'm glad our generation is much better about talking about this stuff, because SO many mamas suffer.  Keeping talking, it helps!! 
  • Options
    @emeraldisle87 Thank you so much for opening up about your experience with panic attacks and anxiety. I am open minded if medication would help, I suppose at this point I just need to be the best me for my family and quality of life. You have made it sound not so scary to ask for help. I think for me as well, just taking a step in the direction to help myself would make me feel a ton better. The only people that know about my panic attacks are my mom and husband, and as of this year my best friend. I dont know why I feel so ashamed about it, like a broken person. It just makes it weigh so much more when it feels like a deep dark secret. I'm scared to talk to someone about it because I feel like the flood gates would open up after holding myself together so long. But, that's probably exactly what I need.
  • Options
    @emeraldisle87, definitely talk to someone if you feel like you might be prone to PPD.  I had PPD with my first, and I am struggling with heavier feelings of depression this pregnancy so I am pretty much expecting it again.  Talking to people is the only way I felt I had a handle on things, and I only realized that looking back on it.  In the moment, I felt completely alone and despondent.  Reach out and make sure you keep reaching out even if it feels like you're not being heard.

@elmich3, it's been so hard for me to talk about my depression and anxiety, and for the longest time I felt like I had this horrible thing wrong with me while everyone else was "normal."  Now, though, I have opened up to some good friends about it and it's amazing how common it is and how that stigma was all in my head.  (Not saying it's good that it's common, but people have been much more understanding than I thought they would be.)  I also have a habit of reading PostSecret every week.  Not sure if that will help you or upset you, but it helps me to feel not as alone with my struggles.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really struggling. My mental health has always been rough thanks to childhood trauma, but it really tanked after I had DD. Therapy & meds helped along with just taking care if myself..and I got to a better place for the past year or so, thankfully. Then winter has to come and bring SAD to pile on top of me. DH has been working 12-16 hours every day for the past 3 weeks on top of it all, and I feel like I'm just drowning some days with no help or time to take care of myself. My anxiety rears its head and brings depression with it and ugh. 

I'm sorry everyone is having a rough time in this thread, but also grateful to be feeling slightly less alone after reading. ❤️
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    Hugs, @wildcosmiclove.  I'm pretty sure the season has a lot to do with my depression also, and it sucks when our SOs are working and gone so much.  Do you have some other mom friends you can make playdates with to talk to and feel less isolated?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @elmich3 definitely keep talking and getting your feelings off your chest, even if it's just here in this forum! And remember, medication doesn't have to be a 'forever' thing; life is a really long time (hopefully!) and we all ebb and flow with highs and lows, and its totally OK to need a little extra help sometimes. I ended up weening myself off of the meds very shortly after I went on actually (obviously do this with your doctor's guidance) because just talking to the doctor and taking steps in a forward moving direction helped my symptoms immensely. And it's great that you have your DH and mom to talk to - you don't have to go shouting it from the rooftops to everyone but having a few close people to talk to is so helpful. And like I said, here too - I remember talking to my mom about it was helpful but at the same time, she had never experienced exactly what I was experiencing. Knowing that there are other people out there who have felt exactly what you're feeling is a relief. 

@wildcosmiclove @kangstadt I think it's normal to feel more down when the sun sets at 4pm and it's an ice box outside. This is my first pregnancy and I've been worried about the third trimester that's going to happen in the depths of winter -- but I'm hopeful that it's better than having a NEWBORN during those months, right?!  Hopefully April will bring increasingly warmer days and opportunities for walks outside.

@kangstadt - my DH works insanely long hours as well between work and then part time business school after work, and his weekends are consumed with schoolwork as well. It's been tough....we'll have a 14 month old by the time he's finished with school. So I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a tough first year...any coping strategies you can share would be appreciated!!

• Options
    @emeraldisle87 I 100% agree with it being a good thing our newborns will be here once the weather breaks (at least in some areas of the globe!). I know it'll be tough this winter, but I am so grateful to 1) not be hugely pregnant when it's hot out, and 2) be able to be outside with the babe since the weather will be nicer. I live in northern Utah and we get terrible pollution in the winter, so to be trapped inside with a baby all winter would SUCK.
  • Options
    @kangstadt Oh, how I've always envied the "normal" people. Standing in a crowd thinking, how is it possible I'm the only one wanting to jump out of my skin right now? But I have grown to learn there is no normal.. and the person next to me might feel the same way and think that I am the normal one.    & I've never heard of PostSecret, I really liked reading through it. 

@emeraldisle87 Thank you. I always have to widen the picture and see that life is bigger than this problem right now. So many twists and turns but I will be okay. I think I got scared off meds when they gave me more side effects than good but to find one that works would be a lifesaver 
  • Options
    @emeraldisle87, we had a similar situation with our first.  My DH was away for most of a year on job training (when DS was 1 1/2-2 1/2) and only home on weekends.  It was really tough, especially at one point when DS was hospitalized for a scare.  The saving grace for me was that we lived wirh my parents during that time, and they were a huge help.  My biggest advice is to make sure to get out and do things.  Even if you don't feel like socializing or leaving the house, a change of scenery can be a lifesaver for both you and your kiddo (it definitely is for me some days).  If you have a few mom friends in the area, scheduling playdates can be a great way to pass the time too.  I've found that other moms make great listeners too when I just need to vent about DH being gone or feeling isolated at home all day by myself with this tiny child.

@elmich3, I was the same way about medication at first, although I also had a bad reaction to one of the first medications my doctor put me on.  Sometimes it is trial and error, unfortunately.  Zoloft works well for me currently at a rather low dose and it's "safe" for pregnancy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone else with ADHD on here? How are you doing without meds? I'm feeling out of it and unfocused and I'm looking for ways to deal without Adderall. I'm starting a business and although I've managed to force myself to follow my systems and stay at least semi-organized, I feel like I'm doing everything through a thick layer of fog. I'm definitely not failing but I feel like I'm not moving forward either.
  • Options
    @a_midgarden sorry I can’t help with the ADHD. Good luck with the business though!

I’m bumping because I’m having a really rough time this week. I’m currently 24+3...at 25+1, DD’s water broke. I am having dreams about repeat preterm labor, about doctors or friends gently breaking the news that I’ll be going into preterm labor, about bizarre/unscientific reasons it would happen. I wake up to google them. I am stressed about money and about help or perceived lack thereof and am picking fights. Ughhhhh 

there is is no reason to believe I will have another micropreemie. I’m just really surprised that this week is flashback city when DD’s first birthday wasn’t.
  • Options
    >hugs< @lyse01 .  I can't even imagine.  I'm irrationally worried about preterm labor also, even though I was full term with DS and it was never even a thought then.  I think being a mom already gives us this intense worries when we're going through pregnancy again (and you obviously already went through preterm birth once so it's right there and present for you).

I can't really offer specific advice, although I'm no stranger to anxiety.  Just remember to take a deep breath and take it one day at a time.  Sometimes forcing myself to step back from my phone/internet/technology and reinvesting in doing something with my hands or a book helps me when my anxiety is peaking.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Feeling late to this thread, should have joined weeks ago. My depression/anxiety stays pretty much in check until it doesn't. Depression has gotten better over the years, but mostly because I've taken myself out of stressful situations, started an exercise routine, and tried to eat better. Panic attacks (full blown, scary, and always with crying because apparently that's who I am) and anxiety have increased though due to the avoidance I suspect. Meds have always caused worse issues and/or side effects, so I don't take them. I don't work at a "real" 9-5 job because that seems to bring it out in spades, and has caused plenty of physical health issues too. So I'm doing the farming and artist thing, and we are surviving. It's good to see other folks here and know that I'm not the only one struggling with all this.

@elmich3 Now you've got me thinking about panic attacks, which are my least favorite symptom. Really the other stuff I've learned to live with. I don't know if the following will be helpful for other folks, but I've listed some of my triggers for panic attacks, which often starts as dialed up anxiety and then kind of "blows up..."

New places are an enormous trigger for panic attacks. I now employ the buddy system, so if I've never been somewhere before I take someone--DW, my mom, a friend--with me the first time, and make sure to meditate during the whole thing and make the experience okay. Then the next time I can usually go by myself and if I meditate while there, I can often get through with no panic attacks.

Bureaucracy and power differences are another huge panic attack trigger. Interacting with people at the DMV, college professors, police officers, insurance reps, etc. I'm still working through this by having small, good phone experiences with people that have power over me/my life, and small in-person things like getting my dogs licensed or applying for a passport helps as well.

Obviously, lack of control or perceived lack of control about me and/or my body, or about a person, animal, or object that I feel I "should" control, is another thing that leads to panic attacks. This is a big one and I haven't found a solution to this one yet. Have to get over this one before having my child throw tantrums in public!

Doctors, dentists, and hospitals have been the worst for me over the years, since they seem to be a combination of all of the above. I've slowly learned to deal with one aspect at a time, and very rarely have panic attacks in the offices anymore. It helps me to be a part of the local system of doctors offices, so that the signage, name tags, layouts, and paperwork are the same. I go to the same doctors all the time, and specifically go to offices that allow you to schedule with the doctor of your choice, even if it means waiting 3 months for an appointment. I've also found doctors that listen to me and respect me so that I don't feel things are being done to me that I have no choice about. In hospitals, I use grounding techniques to notice as many details as possible, meditation, and I get to know each nurse I encounter by asking them about their life and shifting the focus for a minute from me to them.

I've found a lot of power in getting at the root of some of these issues, and understanding that they don't just happen "for no reason." Usually my brain is blowing things out of proportion and creating a life-or-death situation out of an inconvenience. I still have not found a way to avoid anxiety and panic attacks while living in the city. And I'm sure there are plenty more triggers I haven't identified yet. It's going to take a lifetime!

@emeraldisle87 @kangstadt I really hope that you two do not get PPD, or that if you do there are good, positive solutions that come up quickly! I am terrified of getting it, but talked to my mom, her sisters, my dad's sisters, grandmothers, etc and they didn't seem to have it. So I guess not everyone with mental health issues ends up with it?
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    @elmich3 That's my biggest fear, that my anxiety will color my son's world the way it has mine. I'm hoping DWs stable mental health will balance things out. I wish you all the best as well, those situations sound very familiar! I hope that all of us here can find some kind of peace.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    @kangstadt @sheepshepherdess It is such a big fear to let my anxiety dictate any part of my sons worlds or effect them in any way. My anxiety, too, comes out as anger, irritability and no patience). Something that gave me encouragement was my mom telling me she had crippling anxiety and panic attacks starting when my sister and I were born and dealt with it for a while. The encouraging part is that as a child, even until I was 19, I never knew she dealt with that. I was never effected. Kids are very absorbed in their own worlds and mom and dad are such super heroes in their minds. It's tough for a child to pick up on things as easy as we think they will.

At least that's what I'm hoping for my kids. We are very lucky to have stable husbands that balance us out! 
  • Options
    Had a good week last week, but still feel like I didn't fully recover from Thanksgiving with the family (and now staring down the barrel of Christmas, oh boy.)  I have health anxiety and my trigger is currently these lightning bolts I see first thing in the morning.  I had a clear eye check a few months ago (although I didn't mention them; was too busy mentioning all the other things) and DH says he wouldn't worry. I'm just trying to hold on to that, but I now dread going to bed and waking up each morning.  The anxiety usually wanes by 10am or so, but it does make me cranky while DD (3) is getting ready for school, and starts the day off on a bad footing.

Regarding parenting, I agree that one of my worst fears is that DD will have to go through what I am going through.  My second-worst fear is that my struggles will damage our relationship.  Like @elmich3, I didn't realize growing up that my mom has terrible mental health issues, but looking back I can see it affected me in a lot of ways.  Our family has major attachment issues and, while I have a great relationship with my friends and husband, it has hurt my parenting that I don't have any healthy, safe family relationships (I don't have anyone outside my nuclear family and never did). My best hopes lie in the fact that our family is on generation 2 of slightly improvements (lots of gnarly choices in my grandparents' generation), DH is the picture of mental health and has great parents, and my therapist said kids can have a foundation of healthy attachment with less than 50% positive interaction (and between how awesome he is and how okay I am, I think we're over 50.)  

I think @wildcosmiclove has great advice.  Kids ARE tough, no one is a perfect parent, and I put a lot of hope in the fact that having anxiety has made me so aware of certain of my flaws and so interested in watching out for and counteracting the ways they affect DD.  I also think it's made me a more compassionate person, and has occasionally helped me keep my priorities straight.  But, boy, is it still a lot of hard work!
  • Options
    @rennie1108 I am also in Northern Utah. I’m feeling SO grateful that my LO will be here after the inversion has mostly cleared... spring where I’m at is normally pretty beautiful. So I’m really looking forward to being able to be outside with my little family.
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess:  Re PPD, my mom had it badly with both of us and had to be hospitalized after my brother was born; despite my long history of anxiety, I didn't have any, and my anxiety was better than usual in the first year or so of DD's life.  I think there's just no way to know!  But putting your doctor on the alert can be helpful.  Mine was very kind, gave me a list of things to look out for, told me and a list of things he might try or recommend (progesterone was #1, so there are options other than the standard meds). He also told me to come in at the first sign of trouble. It just felt nice to know that he would be there for me AND that it was familiar territory for him. 
  • Options
    mesweetteamesweettea member
    edited December 2018
    @lyse01For anxiety nightmares, I try to have a specific ritual to address and (attempt to) dismiss them. Maybe you can try something similar? I basically do this: get out of bed, make a cup of tea, go to the same spot on the couch, drink the tea and free write about what happened in the dream and then some amounts of analysis (whatever I'm up for): what I think my fears are that led to the dream, triggers that may be occurring in my life, what are some of the rational things about the situation, etc.
    In general, I find it more helpful than just getting up and trying to "put the dream out of my mind" -- that tends to lead to it hanging over my head more.

@a_midgarden no specific thoughts, but I have seen my previous partner struggle with ADHD going on and off meds and it was super tough for her. Good luck, try to have patience with yourself.

It's helpful to hear how you all manage to continue on and raise children despite your struggles. I definitely a LOT worry about my swings in functionality affecting my ability to be a "good" parent.