July 2019 Moms

Unpopular Opinions

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
, 💙💙💙💙💙💙

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Loading the player...
  • @nopegoat I did a first birthday party for my oldest and neither one of my kids have had a birthday party since. Now we just take them out and make them feel special doing things we know they love to do! 

As for gender reveals. I think they’re cute! I don’t think they have to be extravagant. I don’t even care for the huge party idea. But I’ve had the ultrasound tech tell me and I had my sister put balloons in a box (with just me & my husband, and a camera) and I will have to say, the balloons were a lot more fun! Haha 
  • As for me, I have a lot of unpopular opinions that almost everyone hates me for. The biggest one — I hate bacon. Pregnant or not. If it’s even close to me I will gag. I’m so sick of people telling me “just pick out the bacon” if there’s bacon in something. No, it contaminates EVERYTHING. Don’t try to trick me either. I know when bacon has been near my food 
  • I hate the movie Love Actually.  I don't understand why everyone loves it so much.  It's terrible.
  • I generally hate rom-coms and all romantic dramas (like the Notebook) and any movie based off a Nicholas Sparks book. I'm also not a fan of any single reality TV show ever. The races, the contests, the "house wives" the bachelors...  :# hate them all. 

• @hestia14 <3<3<3<3 Thank you!!!!!! I hate that movie. 
  • @hoodevil0611 I share in your hatred of Love Actually. Every time in pops up in my feed during the holidays, I spew a little.

Also Team Gender Reveals. I think they are cute, as long as you aren't having a whole big separate party JUST for that - if you are making it part of the shower, or revealing to close fam, it's fun. DH refuses to do it, sad me. He really wanted a girl the first time, and knew he wouldn't be able to temper his disappointment. He loves our DS to pieces, don't get me wrong. Spoils the kid rotten. But we won't be doing a reveal this time either.

@bartonolivia I'm just sad for you on the bacon front. :(
  • mamanbebe said:
    Unique spellings of names are so annoying, just admit that you want to name your kid the same thing that everyone else! Aydyn Aiden Aedaen and Eydeyn are all the same name! 
    I grew up with a long Polish last name that almost no one spelled or pronounced right on the first try. I don't understand why parents would give their kid an unusual spelling on purpose - correcting people gets VERY old after a while, especially because some people refuse to get it right because it's "too hard."
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited November 2018
    My oldest is James Mathieu. He goes by Mathieu and its constantly spelled wrong. I've doomed my kid LOL!! 

But in my defense it's a family name, it is a real way to spell Matthew, and I gave him a "normal" first name in case he wants to go by that later on. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat Now that I totally understand because it's the French spelling and it's from your family's heritage. :) Unique spellings just for the sake of so just seem contrived. 
  • My nephews name is Kai. I feel like it’s a pretty common name and very easy to pronounce. My my entire FAMILY can’t even spell it right. It’s always “Kia” or something. He’s not even my kid and it aggravates me. Lol 

my sons names are Ezra & Elias. 
    Everyone told me that Ezra sounds too “made up” when I first had him. But it’s a book in the Bible. As for Elias. A lot of people pronounce it “ill-ee-us” when it’s just simply “Eli-us” that’s why our names were picking out this time are more “basic” lol 
  • @nopegoat I bought an elf doll at Ikea to see if my son would play along and the idea that the elf was monitoring him made him break down in tears multiple time in the first 24 hours. We dropped the whole "reporting back to santa" thing and now the whole game is what weird place the elf has moved to overnight which has resulted in some deep guttural 4yo laughs first thing in the morning. Totally priceless and worthwhile. 
  • I have a somewhat old fashioned, uncommon name and spelling it to EVERY FREAKING PERSON EVER gets so annoying. I think I've gotten a correctly spelled Starbucks cup like once ever. DH's family is all over the place with how they spell it but I've decided not to care anymore after 7+ years :D

I will also sit down at the old lady table - I think Elf on the Shelf is so obnoxious, don't like the movie Elf and A Christmas Story gave me nightmares as a child. I think Christmas has gotten way over commercialized and although I still love the decorations and parties and spending time with family, I am Team No Gifts. (I'm the only one on this team in my family so I usually suck it up, but I am not planning on going overboard with my kids).
  • @mamanbebe I couldn't keep up with the "reporting back to Santa" thing and I know my boys couldn't keep their hands off it. Just moving overnight wouldn't be so bad. But man I've seen people go all out with this elf and I just can't bring myself to do it. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @quinniebear we don't do a ton of gifts for our kids either. We try to do 1 bigger gift for all of them, a smaller fun thing, something they need, and then something educational.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Speaking of Christmas movies we hate, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation makes me seriously depressed. I avoid it at all costs. My husband and his family love it. 
  • @mamanbebe @nopegoat I think hiding it in a different spot could be fun - I'm just thinking of some of my friends, like the one who basically silly stringed her entire living room (well, the Elf did) .... like who is cleaning that up? Lol.
  • Yes @quinniebear! Or makes a huge mess in the kitchen,knocks down the Christmas tree, or writes on the wall. Like why do you hate yourself??? 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited November 2018
    I have a uniquely spelled name and yes it sucks having to correct people all the time. When it's irrelevant how it's spelled (like not on a government form or something), I don't even correct them anymore.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited November 2018
    I love going to the dentist. 30 minutes of peace and quiet in the dentist chair while I get my teeth cleaned? Yes please! And having my teeth cleaned is kinda relaxing in and of itself.  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @nopegoat & @pizzaplzI am pulling up my chair and bringing my crochet to the crochety old lady table!

Oh - can I add... some of this "new math" BS? I'm a teacher. I'm a SPED teacher. This year I am a SPED and Math teacher (seriously not sure how that happened) and trying to teach students who have trouble consistently adding 2+2 (no exaggeration, SPED kids, you gotta get on their level to help them up) these new and "interesting" ways to add/subtract/multiply/divide... Dude, if it worked, I would be all for it, but I see the looks on my kids faces and they have no flipping idea what is going on, forcing me to reteach and reteach with much simpler methods (you know, the old ways) and then voila`! all of a sudden my students get it. 
  • I love gender/sex reveals. 

I love Love Actually & the Notebook

I don't mind when people say "we are pregnant"
  • I hate the when people refer to a baby in the womb as cooking/baking.  It really weirds me out.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • I refuse to take part in this elf on the shelf business. 

I cringe when when I see people post naked or half naked bump/pregnancy photos. Even worse when the husband is standing behind hugging the bump. Yes pregnancy is a beautiful thing but I don’t want my belly hanging out while being seductive in a field. 
  • canuckmommacanuckmomma member
    edited November 2018
    Oh and... when people refer to their childs age in months past 2 years. 

*Edited to to correct error. 
  • 1 more!

I love board organization.  I don't think people need threads for their individual questions. yes, other people may have the same question but there are LOTS of threads for questions and opinions. 
  • @hoodevil0611- I stopped reading after your post. Get out of here with that nonsense. I guess you just have a cold, cold heart. Love Actually is just so wonderful. 
  • Happyin14Happyin14 member
    edited November 2018
    @nopegoat @quinniebear, my h suddenly said “oh, I’m gonna get an Elf on the Shelf”. I YELLED. He literally didn’t know what the whole thing was. Just thought you like read the story and have the elf. Thank goodness he spoke his inner thoughts so I could stop the madness. 
  • @foodislove, that’s because you are correct. The mother IS the sad part. Leo’s “hang on, Rose” is lame. 
  • It’s okay, @hoodevil0611can sit with me. I, too, find Love Actually highly problematic.
  • I saw this on another board and love it. I think brunch is the lamest meal of the week. I am always disappointed when I go to a restaurant and realize they are only serving brunch. I just don't like egg dishes or pancakes/waffles that much. I can get behind a soup/salad combo with mimosas, but don't come at me with your eggs benedict at lunchtime. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3