Possible triggers (living children mentioned) I'm having trouble understanding — The Bump
Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Possible triggers (living children mentioned) I'm having trouble understanding

Possible triggers- mentions of successful pregnancies and living children. 

This is still so new and raw. Early yesterday morning I miscarried my baby at almost 14 weeks. I am having a lot of trouble understanding it. Mostly because we saw the baby on ultrasound just an hour or two before the miscarriage happened. It was moving. It had a heartrate of 174. And then my body just pushed it out and I don't know why.

Almost all of the stories I read start with a baby whose heart has stopped, but I know that is not what happened to me. I knew I was having contractions because I've been in labor twice before. Both of my living kids were full-term and healthy. I don't have an incompetent cervix, if anything it's a little more competent than I would like (first baby was a c-section for arrest of dilation, second was a successful VBAC that took 36 hours). I had no fever. No signs of infection. The only thing that seemed wrong at all was continuous light spotting from about 6.5 weeks on, until the real bleeding started.

I just don't understand why my body was in such a hurry to get rid of my living, moving baby. I'm not ok with this. All I can see is the utrasound image of my baby kicking and wiggling away. I feel like my body betrayed me. I can't sleep. I'm not hungry. I can't concentrate on anything. I'm just traumatized. 

Re: Possible triggers (living children mentioned) I'm having trouble understanding

• I am so, so sorry that you're going through this. I can't imagine the pain and confusion you must be feeling with such a sudden loss.

Take time for yourself right now where you can and let yourself feel your grief and confusion. With something so heartbreaking only time will bring any relief from the pain. Try not to blame yourself, as hard as that can be.

I hope peace comes to you soon and I send my heart to you x
  • I miscarried at 17 weeks (on the 24/11), my boy was born with a heart beat, he was perfect in everyway but I had bleeding from 11 weeks that did not stop and doctors were not concerned as bub was growing fine but my body knew otherwise, I went into pre term labor at 17 weeks, there was nothing anyone could do. I suspect my placenta abrupted (still waiting on the report) but I was told placenta appeared pale at birth. I respect what my body has done and in away see it that my baby did not suffer long term health affects caused by an inefficient placenta. It’s been really hard to understand why especially after having two previous uncomplicated pregnancies but it is a fact of life and these things do happen. I found talking alot about my miscarriage has helped with my emotional recovery. I’m sorry this has happened to you aswell.
  • I'm also still waiting on tests and reports. I hate waiting. I don't really expect to ever know what really caused it, but I still want as much information as I can get. I'm sorry you went through something similar. It's really awful. It's been almost 3 weeks, and I don't really feel much better than I did when it happened. I still feel like it's a nightmare.