July 2019 Moms

Calm Mama Checkin - Week of 11/12

This is a place to seek and offer support amongst other women on this journey. Feel free to discuss different tactics for calming your nerves with meditation, yoga, gentle exercise or other helpful practices. If you feel you need to share some pertinent personal information that could be stressful or triggering for other women, please note with a *TW explanation* and Spoiler (select text, click paragraph button and select 'spoiler'). 

How are you doing this week? 

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety?

What are your goals for next week? 

Questions/comments/concerns? 

Re: Calm Mama Checkin - Week of 11/12

• How are you doing this week? I have still been bouncing back and forth between worried/stressed and totally fine/excited. I had a follow-up with my fertility naturopath on Friday and found out some troubling news from my blood panel results but I'm determined to be proactive with what was given to me. 

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety? I've meditated and have been working on taking moments to focus on breath work. I read a new card in my Motherhood deck that talks about finding serenity and it felt true to where I need to be headed right now. I've also started doing some exercises at home and plan on doing a short session of yoga this morning. 

What are your goals for next week? Daily exercise, getting out and walking at least once per day, meditating daily, 5-10 min of yoga and signing up for a prenatal yoga class. 

Questions/comments/concerns? My new Oura Ring arrived and it's been insightful to see how my sleep and activity progress so far. It will be good motivation to get up and move, esp when the app nudges me to do so. 
  • How are you doing this week? Starting this week out better than I ended last week! Feeling less anxious

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety? I've journaled everyday and exercised twice last week. Also focusing on setting some goals for next year!

What are your goals for next week? Exercise everyday, even if it's just a quick 10 minute walk. Pick a meditation app to download. I think a few were mentioned in last week's thread, I need to go back and check them out!

Questions/comments/concerns? Even though we have told some close friends, we haven't told our family yet and it's making me anxious. I really want to tell our oldest son, before we tell the rest of the family, but I know he will tell everyone lol. I'm afraid to tell him too early though and then have something happen. I'm hoping after our ultrasound the first week of December, I'll feel a bit more comfortable in telling him. I can't wait to see his reaction!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Im mostly ok. I’m thinking about using my yoga routine to twice a day instead of just before bed. I’d like to throw in some meditation time during my boys nap time to help me refocus and power through the rest of the day. I think that’d be really helpful. We haven’t told our families yet so I’m getting anxious about that. We have decided on a way to announce but it would still be a few weeks away before we announce officially. We have a sono next week so I’m hoping that helps me relax a little bit.
  • @mamanbebe What is the motherhood deck?  Sounds interesting!

@hellmanpartyof5 I hear you about telling families!  We aren't sure how DH's parents will react so I'm a bit nervous. Hope your sono goes well!!

How are you doing this week? Pretty good, a little anxious but trying to focus on positive thoughts/energy.

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety? Walking my dogs!!!  Seriously my biggest stress relief. Also drinking herbal tea (my favorite is Tazo Passion!)

What are your goals for next week? Visiting my family for Thanksgiving!!!!! First time I've been home for Thanksgiving in 10 years :# I live so far away I usually can't justify a weekend trip, but I'm going for the whole week this time :)

Questions/comments/concerns? Anyone still drinking regular coffee in the 1st tri? I've seen everywhere that up to 200mg of caffeine is fine, but today my NP said to steer clear during 1st tri and add back 1 or 2 cups later on if I need to. :| First OB appt is after Thanksgiving so I may keep doing 1 cup in the morning and then ask my midwife.

• @quinniebear It's a really neat tarot deck that is specifically about the spiritualism of motherhood. I've never done tarot before, so I'm slowly working through each card and getting to know them before I start laying cards. I'm only on my second one in maybe 6 weeks but the steadiness seems appropriate :) Here's a link if you would like to check it out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/145491890X/

On coffee, I quit it earlier this year but drink an occasional matcha latte, which isn't necessarily any better. I think the issue is that it can cause inflammation in your digestive track which makes it harder to break down nutrients from your food. 
  • How are you doing this week? Feeling serene today, but not sure how long that will last before the anxiety kicks in again.

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety? Working to keep myself from clinging to petty feelings. Super hormonal and getting upset really easily, which makes me cry, which increases my anxiety. So working to take a deep breathe, focus on the fights I want to actually win, and just keep my head low for everything else.

What are your goals for next week? To not eat my feelings. I stress eat in addition to remembering that eating was the only thing that kept nausea at bay my last pregnancy. Distract myself with doing something for me, be it reading, painting, watching a show. I know I really need to get good about carving out time for myself.

Questions/comments/concerns? Trying to gauge if/when I should consider going back to therapy. I was super zen last pregnancy right up until I had the baby and my emotional stability tanked. Therapy helped, but the meds helped more. Still not 100%. So trying to figure out what I want my game plan to be should we get there during the pregnancy and/or after. Is anyone else discussing their mental wellness game plan with their doctors? Or planning to?
  • quinniebearquinniebear member
    edited November 2018
    @foodislove Yes - I am actually about to start weaning off my anxiety meds (hadn't been on anything for years, but I had a bad depression spell this year and went back on them about two months ago). My doctor said I should consider going back to therapy soon to ease that transition. I may try to go once a month or so. Wish it wasn't so expensive and my insurance is no help :(

@mamanbebe thanks!  love tarot, will have to check it out.
  • @quinniebear Hugs. Which doctor are you talking to about this? PCP, OBGYN? I hate having to schedule (and pay for) so many different doctors rather than getting help with just one. Part of the reason I'm putting this off.
  • @foodislove the NP who I see for PCP stuff. I'll have my 1st OB appt 11/26. Yes, so many appointments! :neutral: