July 2019 Moms

GTKY Tuesday - 11/6

When are you going to announce to family? Friends? 

Re: GTKY Tuesday - 11/6

• nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited November 2018
    We usually tell family and very close friends pretty early. Like a few days after we get our BFP. We figured these are the people that we would want to support us if anything happened.

***TW***
    H got overly excited my last BFP and told basically everyone within days. That pregnancy ended at 6wk2d and it was so hard "untelling" everyone though we did get some much needed support.
    ***End TW***

So far we have only told my MIL and the only reason we did was to try to keep her from getting so upset that we aren't coming for Thanksgiving. 

We'll tell family and close friends after my first appt and probably announce on social media after 1st tri. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat I think that is a good idea with close friends/family. With my first pregnancy, I was so nervous I only told my parents right away because we found out a week before our wedding. Of course, my mom still went around and told everyone she knew, even with an explicit request not to say anything. We told MH's parents after our first OB visit,  then no one else until after our anatomy scan. 

This time I'm going to be more open so that I can feel better supported. I told a friend last night, I'm going to tell my parents this weekend and start telling some other friends in the coming weeks. I agree that even if the anxiety exists of "what if", it'll be much better to have those same people to turn to. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We still deciding on when. We were first thinking about Christmas when I got Bfp but *tw* my sister in law announced last year on Christmas then had a mc. I don't want to cause her any pain and even tho I know she'll be excited  *end tw*

So we are also thinking about a new year's announcement but that's 2 holidays to get through. 
  • I have told a couple of close friends, for the same reasons you ladies mentioned. I think we will tell our families on Thanksgiving, and announce on social media sometime after the new year.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We’ve told parents, and I’ve told a few close friends and couple close coworkers both because I’ve been really sick and because we do a lot of drinking in the office (usually after hours, though a beer or two at the desk on a Friday afternoon before happy hour may happen every now and then) and at work/client events, so it would have been obvious.  We’ll likely announce to the broader family and friends at Christmas when I’ll be around 12 weeks.  Not sure on social media and everyone at work.  Maybe around 14 or 16 weeks.
  • We've told our parents and a couple of friends. We'll probably selectively tell a few more in the coming weeks and then announce around Christmas. Not sure yet if social media will be around Christmas as well, or a bit later. I want to be really respectful of any FB friends that might have a tough time with a holiday announcement. 
  • We’ve been enjoying just the two of us knowing for now- it’s kind of a fun little secret. We enjoy kind of seeing how long we can go before people start figuring it out.  With DS, we were able to announce him with a video of olderDD talking about her little brother, as we found out at the I think about 15week ultrasound when he gave the OB the perfect view 😆. We will see, though. 
  • We are telling H's parents/sister/bro in law the day before Thanksgiving (it's their wedding anniversary), then the day after Thanksgiving we are driving to my parents house to surprise them. That doesn't sound crazy until you consider we live in Mississippi, will be in Charlotte, NC for Thanksgiving and my parents live in Pittsburgh, PA! But we are so excited, we've been married for 9 years and I think most people have assumed we weren't ever having kids. In fact a week ago I had a phone conversation with my mom where she was almost in tears asking me to just to tell her if we had decided not to have any kids. 

I'll be 12 weeks on Dec 21 so my plan is mail out Christmas announcement cards. I'm slightly nervous about that because of course so many things could still go wrong after that point but it's too cute of an idea for me to pass up!

• I was planning the keep this one a secret until our first ultrasound when we saw the heartbeat and felt a little better sharing the news ... but things never work out to my plans! 
    We've already told really close family members (my mom, dad and sister + my DH's dad and stepmom). We are planning to announce to his mom's side at our Thanksgiving get-together. I am a little nervous as my MIL is not really the excitable type so I am not sure how to break the news to her and the rest of her family as I really don't know if they will be as excited as us? I know that sounds bad, but my MIL lives a little over 30 minutes away from us and she hardly makes time for our DS as it is. Not to mention his cousin will be there and she just had her son in October and this will be the first time everyone meets him, so I certainly wouldn't want to take the attention off of her. Any ideas on how to announce it without stealing the show? 
    Other than that, we are planning to announce via social media to everyone else around Christmas. We're thinking about doing Holiday photos with my son with a sign that reads "Ho Ho Ho, is it so? In July 2019, I'm finally a big bro!" or "This year Santa is bringing us a gift like no other.... our little man is going to be a big brother!" but we haven't officially decided yet. 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• @mamahmh2 what if you let mil in on the announcement first so she can help you all figure out how and maybe she’d rev herself up to be more excited if she’s included?
  • mamahmh2mamahmh2 member
    edited November 2018
    @mamanbebe ohhh that's good, I didn't think about that! She is a little of a control freak so maybe she'd like to be in on it first ;) Thanks for the suggestion! 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• My husband wants to tell everyone at Christmas but that feels like forever to me. Hopefully my two year old will spill the beans before that. Some of my friends know. The only person I don’t care to tell any time soon is my mom. But the longer I wait to tell her the more angry she will be when she finds out. She had a fit last time that she wasn’t told first and immediately with my son.
  • We aren't being as secretive as we were with DD.  I feel like the people I tell will be genuinely sad if I miscarry.
  • We’re telling our parents this weekend (finally! I want to be able to talk to my mom about it), and my best friend will know when we go to the Baylor /TCU game. Otherwise she’d def try to pressure me to have a drink at tailgate. We’ll announce to close family and friends via a Christmas card ☺️ Trying to be cautiously optimistically excited. My husband literally can’t wait to tell everyone and it’s making me a little anxious. lol 
  • We have only told my sister for now. I am going to wear a shirt on Thanksgiving that says “the turkey isn’t the only thing in the oven” and that’s when I’ll tell my husbands family and my family. I’ll wait until I find out the gender to post on social media though. Maybe around New Years?
  • We started telling people the day we got our BFP. I've had too many friends MC that had to basically take it on by themselves because they didn't tell anyone, and I didn't want that...plus I figure if this is the vulnerable time for Baby, I want people praying now, not just when we're "out of the woods". And I'm just really bad at secrets.
  • @NicholeL16 haha oh no! Sic ‘em bears! Should be a good game ❤️🐻