April 2019 Moms

Baby #2 Prep

For all those mamas out there that are expecting baby #2, what are you prepping?? I feel like I am not doing anything yet and should be - but don't know what?? We have everything from first baby as far as furniture, etc.

Re: Baby #2 Prep

• We are prepping DDs new room so I can put the new baby in the nursery with minimal changed. DD will need some new furniture and she wants everything to be pink and unicorn so that's my major project.

We won't need much for baby except a new baby bath and small items
  • We haven't really prepped yet either. We'll eventually get to touching up the paint in the nursery and washing our gender neutral clothes from DD but that probably won't be until I'm closer to 30 weeks. I've bought some cloth diapers and am starting to build up a small stash of those but honestly we have everything we need from DD so it's just getting that stuff pulled from the basement and washed up.

• Loading the player...
  • We have the big stuff like a crib, pack and play, rock and play, etc.  We need to finish redoing the room that will be the nursery (need to hang new drywall, paint, and add finishing touches).

I was gathering some little items when we were trying, such as a few new cloth diapers and such when I would see them on mom sales.  Other than those few small things and filling out a registry for the last few big things (a glider/rocking chair for the nursery, a bookshelf), I haven't prepped at all, haha.

Hopefully this winter with my DH having more free time and my energy returning we can at least get the nursery finished.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We probably won't really start preparing until after the holidays. We have to get our basement finished before we can do anything with the soon to be nursery.
  • Nothing. We are trying to stay as minimalistic as possible. I’m not even buying a crib until they outgrow the bassinet. It will be warm by the time baby is here so I’m only buying maybe 5 outfits because they will likely be naked 90% of the time. We still have the glider and stroller from DD so we don’t need that. I’m also praying that even though I had breast surgery I’ll be able to breastfeed so I don’t have to buy a butt ton of formula. 
  • I haven't prepped anything at all other than adding a few items to my registry that have come from suggestions here. We have a lot of painting, buying furniture, moving furniture, etc that needs to happen but it doesn't have to happen before the baby comes. I'm feeling really lax at the moment but I'm sure once nesting kicks in I'll get more done.
  • Nothing yet, but we will be moving DD to her own room, so we will need to paint that one and put in a new ceiling fan, move the books from that room down to our spare room which will be the library/play room. We’ll get her a big girl bed and hopefully she’ll transition ok well before baby arrives. 
    We probably won’t put the baby in the nursery for awhile but I want to have everything transitioned anyway, so all the baby’s clothes and “stuff” will go in the nursery instead of our room. 
    If it’s a boy I kind of hope someone will throw me a baby sprinkle for some boy clothes, because there’s very little that’s gender neutral in our house. Lol. 
  • Nothing yet, probably won't pull out the bassinet, pack and play etc for deep cleaning until 30ish weeks. DD will not even be two when this little one gets here and he will spend a few months in our bedroom before he and DD share a room. The only thing I want to buy is a toddler bed but that's only because I plan on being a stay at home mom and I'd Rather purchase that while I'm still getting paid.
  • Nothing right now since we are set to move probably in March (hopefully sooner). It's not the best timing but there was no way we could fit a baby in our current place. I also have a ton of stuff coming from a friend and won't know what we'll need till she drops it off. I'll probably start stocking up on diapers and wipes soon, and if this one is another girl we won't need to buy clothes. I going to try to go through all the random stuff we have in our apartment sometime soon since we moved in a hurry and didn't really get a chance last time. Hopefully i can set aside any of the baby stuff we have then.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I haven't done anything yet and we have nothing left from DD. I don't know when we will start. Maybe after the anatomy scan.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Similar to everyone else, nothing yet! Since they will be opposite gender there a few things we will buy new such as clothes and crib sheets. Our car seat is green and turquoise and stroller, so he will use that. But, stupid stuff like our pink bathtub or toys I’m not replacing... no one else will see it so who cares? I will buy new pacifiers, but mostly everything is small. Also, I agree with @harveyisaboysname my DD was in a bassinet til 8 months, so I’m not in a hurry. 
  • batmama31batmama31 member
    edited November 2018
    we were team green w/ my first specifically so we wouldn't end up w/ gender specific things. so I've got all the big stuff, still. (held on to everything for FOUR YEARS!- even his baby clothes!) so there is very little for us to buy this time around. I want to replace my baby carrier, and have a few other items I'd like to buy. 

I am dying to find out the gender this time around, more so I can purge or organize all the boy clothes I held onto, and let my friends who have girl babies know if they have to save me all their shit. :D 

baby will spend her/his first year in my room in a mini crib, and eventually share a full-size bed w/ their older brother. I didn't have any kind of nursery w/ my first, mostly due to space, and I won't w/ this one, either, mostly due to my laziness. 

does anyone else like this pregnancy is less fun than the first due to the lack of needing to plan anything? I'm super excited, but every time I browse online for cute baby shit, it only lasts a couple minutes before I'm like, "but I don't need any of this, I already have it."
  • @batmama31 I was kind of thinking that, but part of me is also relieved to know what I need already. I guess I’ll need to order some new tubes for my pump and some other breastfeeding supplies but I can wait and do that muuuuch later. It’s weird but kind of nice. 
  • @batmama31, it's not as much fun but it's not as stressful either. We bought way to much shit for DD and thought we needed it ALL before she came home but other than rearranging her bedroom to fit a toddler bed we can just chill and know we only need the essentials before this one comes. (Diapers and wipes, etc)
  • @Kateriee, true. it is such a relief this time around knowing exactly what i DON’T need! the first two things i got rid of w/ my first was the rock n play & boppy pillow. 
  • After thanksgiving we learn the sex and I can go through old baby stuff from dd and either prep for a girl or pull the gender neutral things and then make a keep-sell pile of the girly items. 

I also need need to deep clean my diapers, sort for first 15lbs and 15lb+ and convert the dryer top and storage into a diaper changing station. 

We we need to build/buy a twin bed for my dd and get her toys in her room instead of the living room and her room. 

We do not have a space for this baby. They and their clothes will be in my room and once they are big enough We will cosleep. 

So, all the prep is waiting on sex of the baby and post holidays. 
  • Nothing much, it’s so nice!! There is this peace that comes from knowing that if I do nothing we are basically ready to bring baby home! I’ve registered for a few items I want but don’t need just to get a discount and am buying diapers in all sizes for my stock pile when they are on sale. 
  • Nothing yet! DS will still be in a crib by the time the baby is born, he will be 1 year 5 months. (How soon can I transition him to a toddler bed??) So just going to buy a bassinet for baby to be in our room for a few months. That will buy us some time to figure out room situations!
  • I feel like I should be prepping a registry for this kid, but I’m mostly just skating. The registry will be done by 24 weeks, and ready for hopefully a party to be thrown in baby’s honor.

I want to get maternity/family photos done this time so I should prob get ready to put that on my Xmas wish list/research local photographers. I’ve got a few weeks before that needs to be sorta sorted.

Pulling out newborn clothes/diapers will happen, like, as I go into labor. Minimal necessary prep.

We need to keep on cleaning/organizing/sorting/ditching *stuff* but that has more to do with DD getting into everything than baby 2.
  • elmich3 said:
    Nothing yet! DS will still be in a crib by the time the baby is born, he will be 1 year 5 months. (How soon can I transition him to a toddler bed??) So just going to buy a bassinet for baby to be in our room for a few months. That will buy us some time to figure out room situations!
    We transitioned as soon as she attempted climbing out semi successfully. She was 2ish? She’s been really good about staying in the bed for the past year. I think every kid is different. 
  • @elmich3 I guess when to transition depends on your parenting / sleep approach. We bought our kid a queen size bed when he was like 2. But he still comes in our bed at night all the time even at nearly 4, especially when he has a bad dream. We don’t mind. In fact, we kind of like it. A family bed is our style ;) 
  • Baby number 4, but almost 9 years later and totally unplanned so we have nothing. Prepping is like a combination of being a first time mom and needing everything new, but also like being a second or third time mom and being much more chill lol. We secured a spot in day care with a huge deposit, bought a Halo bassinet, and have gotten a crib and 3(!) Video monitors passed down.I think my next step is to buy the Doona car seat stroller combo and slowly start gathering clothes.
  • Yes, I feel so much more chill this time around. We had all gender neutral stuff first time around and we aren't finding out with this one either so really don't have anything to buy this time - except I am contemplating a bassinet.

I plan on pulling out clothes and washing and some toys, etc. Get them cleaned - of course closer to April. I will probably buy two onesies one for boy or girl to bring baby home in.

I also plan on doing freezer meals this time around - I failed to do this the first time around and wish I had.

Otherwise... we just enjoy being a family of three for now! :)

• elmich3 said:
    Nothing yet! DS will still be in a crib by the time the baby is born, he will be 1 year 5 months. (How soon can I transition him to a toddler bed??) So just going to buy a bassinet for baby to be in our room for a few months. That will buy us some time to figure out room situations!
    We transitioned DD when she was a little over a year and a half because she started boycotting her crib. She would try to climb out and then flat fall out. So we changed for safety reasons. If he isn't trying to get out, I'd honestly leave him there. I thought I would have a kid that stayed in a crib until she was 3!
  • @elmich3 @mrstmoose we put DD (18 mo this week) on her own mattress (in our room) last night for the first time. She climbed out and into bed next to me three times before I gave up because I was too sleepy but I generally considered it a success because she didn’t wake up crying, just looked around and found me.
  • batmama31 said:
    @Kateriee, true. it is such a relief this time around knowing exactly what i DON’T need! the first two things i got rid of w/ my first was the rock n play & boppy pillow. 
    Those were my go to items for both DS1 and DS2!  I wouldn’t have survived with the rock n play.  It was the only way they’d sleep at night.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @booksandlace, my 2.5 y.o. DD has just started wanting everthing to be pink with horses/unicorns.  I guess we're painting her big girl room pink soon.

@elmich3, we are transitioning DD now because we found her sitting on the crib rail last week!  She's had a big girl bed/room since April but refused to move.  
    As for prepping for our son, I have done nothing.  We have all the major items from DD, but only a few of her clothes are gender neutral so I'll be on the hunt for clearance sales around christmas/new years.
  • Nothing yet...
  • This little girl is coming 14 months after her big sister, so there's nothing we need clothing or toy-wise.  We do have to register for the things we didn't think we'd need (since we were planning on spacing our kids out more) - another crib, a double-stroller, etc.  The registry is more so we can get the completion discount than anything else.  We're also in the process of getting our daughter set up in her own bedroom - she's been sleeping in her crib in our room, but we want her to make the transition out before baby comes and displaces her.  We started redoing her room in August and my very handy husband has done next to nothing since.  I plan on spending the next few days taping out her room so we can just paint it together over the weekend.
  • @ashtuesday have you decided where to register? I'm trying to decide who has the better completion discount and prices in general. Thanks!
    Mommy to an angel baby and a sweet little girl Earth side.
  • edited November 2018
    Nothing here, either.  All the stuff from DD (now 3) is lost somewhere in the back of the Closet from Hell that I can't even open because her bed is pushed up against it.  I plan on it staying that way until the last-minute panic sets in, possibly when we arrive home from the hospital.  I mean, I know where the Pack'N'Play and car seat system are, and I can buy packages of onesies, diapers, and giant pads at Target any time I want... do I really need anything else?  (LOL, being a STM is so much more chill.)
  • I went through DD 3-6 month clothes and am selling them tonight (because, boy), but for the life of me I cannot find her NB clothes. WHERE ARE THEY!?

We bought some NB and 0-3 month clothes for LO yesterday off the FB marketplace. So we are set with those sizes. My goal this time is to NOT over buy clothes (I got a ton as gifts for DD and then I *may* have had a shopping issue for awhile).
  • I was looking at a blog I created last pregnancy and by this time I already had bought the crib and stroller and started making lists and getting prepped. Yeaaa so this time I have done nothing lol. So funny the way it works the 2nd time around!

Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @kosmo86 we are smarter and know that there isn't much to do until like, a month before!