May 2019 Moms

Breast Pumps

2ยป

Re: Breast Pumps

• @k2k2tog what did you do when you weren't pumping? Just go nips out? ๐Ÿ˜‚ The picture in my head of this is interesting. I'm guessing you probably used breasts pads though huh? ๐Ÿ˜‚

Oh, that said, I made my own reusable breast pads from my old A cup bras where the cup only fit over my nipples at that point ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • robyn2201robyn2201 member
    edited November 2018
    My kiddos are so much older so pumps and brands have changed a lot since then. I got a Medela PISA with DD1 and used it for a year. And used it again for another year with DD2. I hated pumping but it did the job and did it well.ย 

I pumped 3 times a day when I went back to work. At around 9 months I dropped it down to 2 times a day. I scheduled my pumping times on my calendar and marked them busy so people didnโ€™t schedule meetings during this times but I do have to say I didnโ€™t have to attend too many meetings in general. I did also have a reminder pop up each time as I would have easily have forgotten and kept working.ย 

Eta: work was very accomdating and had a special pumping room with a sofa, desk and fridge to store my milk in. I did for a short time have to share the room with another mom and we had to work out a schedule ย but she quit nursing around 6 months.ย 
    Ivy: July 2010 ย | ย Stella: Dec 2012 ย | ย BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Loading the player...
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds hahaha! No, I would kind of shift the holes a bit so they weren't right over my nipples. And then just smoothed out the fabric and no one could tell.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• @brie_and_almonds thatโ€™s what I worry about. I am thinking this might not work, so I worry that I will spend the money and still need a hospital-grade pump and have to do hands-on pumping again.ย 
  • Thank you all for the advice! This is great to hear .I had heard about the make your own bra. You could buy some from old navy (maybe $10-15 if you catch a sale). They come with bra inserts that could work as breast pads.
  • I also got 2 cheap nursing bras at Walmart! They were super comfortable and lasted over a year. Iโ€™ll probably wear them this time around too.

Also second the hands on pumping. I got so much more milk this way. I tried using my hands free bra that I bought online but just felt it didnโ€™t allow maximum drainage. Kind of a bummer since it was so nice to sit there hands free. Maybe I was doing something wrong...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Maybe I was doing it wrong but I very rarely wore breastpads. I did leak but not enough for it to matter (never soaked through bra). I had to wash my bras way more though. Idk why I didnโ€™t, it was just extra effort and I couldnโ€™t be bothered I guess ๐Ÿ˜† I have soooo many leftover, maybe this time will be different

• @secicc12 ahhh yes! I think i did that twice and didn't wear a dress again until after I was done pumping.

What do you ladies mean when you say "hands on pumping?"

• @expandcontract I assume they mean massaging your breasts during pumping. It helps improve flow.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• k2k2tog said:
    @expandcontract I assume they mean massaging your breasts during pumping. It helps improve flow.
    Ob ok. Yes, i did try that too. Thank you.ย ย 

• @DuchessOfCambridge I wore reusable breast pads up until 11/12 months pp but I had an oversupply. The last 3 months I only leaked once a day or less while DD nursed but it would definitely go through so I kept wearing them. I found the store bought single use ones were best when I first came home and was regulatating since I would leak through the overnight reusable ones. I still have a box and a half of those left that I'll use this time. If anyone is looking into getting reusable ones, I recommend the overnights as the day time ones were small and would move out of place easily.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I used breastpads pretty much the entire time. Partly because of leaking, but also to keep the oily nipple cream off my bras (side note, Motherlove nipple cream is the best, and it helps to lubricate your pump parts with coconut oil to reduce friction). I went back and forth between the Lansinoh disposables and Bamboobies reusable ones.ย 
  • I used the Medela PISA and it was alright but loud. ย My sister recently used the spectra and said it was great and quiet so I think I will try that one this time aroundย 
  • @DuchessOfCambridge I didnโ€™t leak even once, not even when my milk came in. Thankfully, as I did end up with 30-35 oz everyday from pumping, itโ€™s clearly not related to having a strong supply. Some boobs just donโ€™t leak, I guess?ย 
  • @DuchessOfCambridge I didnโ€™t leak even once, not even when my milk came in. Thankfully, as I did end up with 30-35 oz everyday from pumping, itโ€™s clearly not related to having a strong supply. Some boobs just donโ€™t leak, I guess?ย 
    Thatโ€™s amazing. I woke up with giant wet spots so often and leaked from whatever side DS wasnโ€™t nursing on.ย 

You know what I donโ€™t miss at all? Having just taken a shower and being all clean, then as youโ€™re toweling off, having a let down. That always made me feel like โ€œbut WHYโ€

• My doctor gave me a rx to get my breast pump for free but I have to wait till I'm 20 weeks to submit it. My first child was born in 2013 and during that time I had to pay for mine since that insurance rule wasent out yet. I got the medela back pack electric pump. I paid like 300 for it. It worked great since I went back to work full time. I was able to keep my supply up while away from baby. I also got the car adapter for it to and used it in my car. I will also buy a medela for baby number 2.ย 
  • my insurance had sent me a medela in style when I had my daughter 4 years ago. I still have my pump. I was wondering do they make new ones or upgrade. Would I have any reason to need to order a new one this time around?
  • @truth_trust you should be entitled to a new one with each pregnancy. ย Iโ€™d take advantage of it โ€” the motors donโ€™t last forever so your old one might die, and if it doesnโ€™t, it would nice to have a spare. ย 
  • @truth_trust I agree with @anonellis. Get a spare. Maybe try a different model (depending on what bottles you use). You're entitled to it.

• @truth_trust my insurance pays for a new one if it has been 36 months so I will be getting a Spectra this time (have a PISA from before). I will probably get new parts for the PISA and keep it at home as a back-up though (assuming it actually turns on- haven't tried- lol).
    DD1- Feb 2015
    DD2- EDD 5/12/2019
  • I exclusively pumped for my son. He never latched because he was a heavy sleeper and there was nothing I could do to get him to latch and eat when he needed it. I even had to tape a tube to my finger and stick it in his mouth to get him to eat enough for about a week after he was born. So breastfeeding wasn't in the cards.
    I used a Medela Symphony, which is hospital grade. It did a good job, I'd get 25-30 ounces a day at my peak production. I'm going to look into Spectra S2 this time around and see if my insurance will give me one. I had a Medela PISA that came from insurance but I wasn't very impressed.
    Funny thing: the hand pump actually worked remarkably well! I'd whip that sucker out if I had to sit in a changing room or bathroom stall to get some milk out of me when I ran out in my diaper bag and it would get 4-6 ounces from a quick pumping session. Kinda hurts your hands but it relieves the pressure in the boobs pretty quickly and feeds baby at the same time.
    There are veteran twin mamas on this board, right? If any of y'all are reading this, tips and hints would be welcome. I'm worried I'll have to supplement formula with my pumping.
  • I haven't been in the market for a breast pump since 2014, so this thread is really helpful. I used an Avent electric pump for DS1, and while it got the job done I wouldn't exactly recommend it. I pumped for about a year at work and I did have it break once. It was also loud. I chose it because I was using the Avent bottles and I didn't want to have to clean tubes. At some point, I bought a Madela Harmony manual pump for backup/travel and realized it was actually super efficient... I just gave up with the electric and kept using the manual even with DS2. It is hard on your hands, as @wishiwaspreggo stated, but I think a lot of people would be surprised how effective it can be. I used to finish pumping in 10 or 15 minutes. I did quit my job to SAH when DS2 was about 4 months old, so I probably did not spend the same amount of time pumping with the manual as I did with the electric. Getting a good electric pump is highly recommended; consider a manual as backup or in case you have difficulty getting what you need from the electric.

I am definitely going to look into the Spectra, since it comes so highly recommended on here. I don't remember those being around when I was pregnant with my first. Thanks to all for the info.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @wishiwaspreggo there were two twin moms in my last BMB. I don't recall much about one of their feeding journeys but the other had one baby who didn't latch. She EP'ed for him and her daughter would latch and breastfeed. She definitely supplemented some with formula but I think it worked well for her.

• @wishiwaspreggo there are two twin moms in my other BMB, one of whom breastfed. She ended up leaving her job and nursed pretty much constantly. That's the only experience I have heard of but I'm sure there are twin moms who are able to nurse and work. @anonellis is a twin mom I think??

• Thanks @anonellis!!! That was super helpful :) and reassuring. I'm totally on the "IDGAF" mindset right now as a second-time mom lol... I was militant about breast milk with my son but now I'm like "Eh, if they both can get my colostrum that would be fabulous." Formula doesn't kill babies. Dehydration and undernourishment, on the other hand, do. My game plan is to pump what I can and do the rest with formula. If I can manage to get one or both to latch I'll probably alternate between breast and bottle. We shall see.
    It's exciting that the Spectra 2 has just as good of results as the Medela Symphony! I paid $50/month for the stupid thing because the PISA was a pisa-crap. I'll be sure to order one through insurance.
  • So I had heard awesome things about the spectra I, but just saw the Medela Sonata pump, which I think is fairly newย  Has anyone used it or heard how it may compare to the spectra? I'm always so skeptical of online reviews since it seems like everyone is paid for their "opinion".