April 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Carseats

2»

Re: Product Spotlight: Carseats

• I know it was touched on briefly, but for those who already have kiddos, how many of you have 2 convertible car seats? We are getting 1 infant car seat (decided on the Chicco Keyfit) with 2 bases, but I'm thinking we need 2 convertibles. DH likes the Graco Extend2Fit, but I was leaning towards the Britax Marathon ClickTight. Any suggestions/advice?
    We have two convertibles, one for each car. I do most pick-up/drop-off duty but not all, so we needed DH to have a seat in his car. Convertibles aren't impossible to switch out but it's not exactly convenient so I prefer having two if possible.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @rennie1108 we have two convertible car seats - mostly because it can change day to day on who is taking/picking up from daycare. For me, it would feel like a hassle to switch them constantly, especially because I have to open my trunk to latch ours correctly. 

I would add them to your registry so that you can use the registry completion discount on them or wait till next year's Black Friday/Cyber Monday - I saw a lot of deals on car seats but didn't jump on them quite yet. 

• Loading the player...
  • @rennie1108 we only have one car but we have an extra for my moms car since she was/is the primary daycare/babysitter.  They both are Graco, ours is one that turns into a high back and backless booster. My moms is just a convertible I got on super sale. We had just the one for awhile and switched them but we actually had my evil SIL mess with my car and broke all the tumblers in my door lock. Since my car only has one key hole and my remote receiver in the car has gone out we had a huge issue of having our only car seat locked in the car.  Not a common scenario but food for thought. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Thanks for the insight everyone!
  • You can do it with one but it’s so much easier with 2!!! If one person is primarily with the child perhaps getting a cheaper not as easy to use one would be ok to just leave installed in secondary car like something on sale or from Costco etc. When our 1st Lo was born we did 2 bases one for each car with just the infant seat but once DS was older we did buy 2 convertible car seats...
  • I know it was touched on briefly, but for those who already have kiddos, how many of you have 2 convertible car seats? We are getting 1 infant car seat (decided on the Chicco Keyfit) with 2 bases, but I'm thinking we need 2 convertibles. DH likes the Graco Extend2Fit, but I was leaning towards the Britax Marathon ClickTight. Any suggestions/advice?
    We had 2, well actually 3 convertible & booster seats for DD1.. One in my car, one in DH's and one in my mom's car. I am not a fan of having to lug a seat around and take it in & out when we used it all the time in those 3 cars.. We had Britax Marathons in 2 and I believe a Britax advocate in mine (This was before the Click Tight was in those..)  I love Britax, especially the Click Tight system, it was in her Frontier when they 1st came out with it -- the only catch, which maybe has changed now since they have been out for a while now is they were not FAA approved, so if you travel that may be something that you want to look into. 
    DD #1: BFP: 3-6-10 EDD: 11-10-10 Baby Girl Came 11-1-10
    DD #2: BFP: 8-19-18 EDD: 4-30-19
  • We only have one car and we still have two convertible seats. I don’t trust the airline with our more expensive car seat which is also heavier. So I bought the cheapest convertible car seat on the market (cosco) as a second. It’s super light and great for travel and in and out of other cars. We also carpool with friends a lot and their kids can use it. 
  • @rennie1108 - I loved having an infant seat for the first 6 months. We had 1 seat and 2 bases. Once we felt we needed a 2nd seat we got a convertible for one car and left the infant seat in the other and then eventually replaced that one too. 

For anyone considering going straight to a convertible I honestly wouldn't recommend it. In the first 6 months its way more than just car transportation. Its so easy to transfer a sleeping baby into the house, store, restaurant using a car seat and its also like a safe zone when you visit friends and relatives. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @rennie1108 - now that DD is in a convertible seat, we have one in each car. Moving convertible seats is not as easy as an infant carrier. They are a PITA. We bought them on sale or a Black Friday deal, I can't remember. We had one infant seat and two bases as well. 
  • Yeah, I'm definitely sold on getting 2 convertibles now, thanks you guys!
  • eli_belleeli_belle member
    edited November 2018
    I love Britax, especially the Click Tight system, it was in her Frontier when they 1st came out with it -- the only catch, which maybe has changed now since they have been out for a while now is they were not FAA approved, so if you travel that may be something that you want to look into. 
    All of our Britax carseats (Marathon and Frontier) are FAA approved. We fly with them all the time.

ETA: Frontier can only be used in harness mode on an airplane. Belt mode is not approved. But honestly now that DD is older we do not use the booster on the airplane. Definitely use the convertible for DS though.