Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

How do you deal with unsupportive friends?

I’ve been married for about 3.5 years, and I just got my IUD out. My husband and I plan to start TTC in a couple of months. 

My two best friends (who are literally like sisters to me - and I don’t say that lightly) don’t want kids. They know I do and are pretty judgmental about it. Basically they think I’ll be ruining my life. We do a ton of stuff together (like international travel) that I will no longer be able to do once I have kids. I think a big part of it is selfish. They don’t want to feel like they’re losing me (they won’t actually, but I think they’ll feel like they are because I won’t be doing everything we usually do). And they don’t really care for kids and don’t want to be around them. 

I’m struggling with how I’ll hide from them that I’m TTC, my pregnancy when I’m pregnant, and how to break the news to them when I am. A big part of it is that we’re very open with each other usually. They knew my Mirena was about to expire and asked if I was getting another one. I lied and said yes, just to not have to deal with the negativity. But I think the first time we travel together it’ll be obvious. I didn’t get periods on Mirena, so as soon as I get my period they’ll know. Similarly once I’m pregnant, it’ll be hard to not drink around them without it being obvious. 

Anyone been in this situation? Any advice? I’m so afraid of permanently damaging these friendships, they’re really the only friends that I have. But I also can’t keep my life on hold indefinitely. 

Re: How do you deal with unsupportive friends?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited October 2018

I didn’t get periods on Mirena, so as soon as I get my period they’ll know. 
    I feel like this part needs to be explained.

Eta; Thanks for being mature about board culture. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    @auroraborealis0 congrats on taking the first step and getting your IUD out (I got mine out 6 months ago). When I told my friends that my husband and I were going to start trying they were ecstatic for us. It seems to me like your friends are being selfish or that they may not be at your level of maturity and are not taking your feelings into consideration. I wouldn't hide it from them, I would be honest, you may be surprised how supportive they are.  If they are your true friends they will totally understand. Also, just because you have children doesn't mean you can't travel with your friends. Yes, things will change but they can still be a part of your life and I bet you will meet other moms who will become even closer to you, so I wouldn't worry about having no friends. Good luck with your journey!