April 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

How does such a small person have so much stuff?

Give us the pros and cons of what you have, or ask about what you want. Does it fit in your stroller? Can you carry while babywearing? What fits in - and what doesn’t? Are the internal pockets helpful or not? Would your partner carry it? Are you getting a new one with baby 2+? Why or why not? Are there patterns you adore? Is there other relevant info?

FTMs: when you look at diaper bags, what’s overwhelming or confusing? Ask away!

Want to discuss something else? Recommend it here, or second some recs by loving someone’s post (I’ll try to prioritize): https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12734953/product-spotlights-upcoming-or-requests

All product spotlights can be resurrected at any time for further discussion - type “Product Spotlight” into the search bar at the bottom of the page to find previous threads.

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• I had a storksack tania bee diaper bag with my first. It had plenty of pockets. Did not fit under my stroller (but nothing does, it’s a tiny basket). I found the longer cross-body shoulder strap to be a bit awkward given the size of the bag, so I mostly carried it by the handles. Ultimately it didn’t get a ton of use, then I spilled oil in it. And since the bag isn’t washable, the oil went rancid and I ended up throwing it away. ultimately it’s a pretty diaper bag, but I felt like it wasn’t that great for my needs. 
  • The diaper “bag” that I absolutely couldn’t live without was my skip hop pronto portable changing station (basically a diaper clutch). I’d throw it in my purse or backpack wherever we were going. Loved that it folded out into a changing table so I didn’t have to lay my baby directly on store or airplane changing tables. I always managed to squeeze an extra onesie into the pocket too. Ultimately having a small bag with just the essentials was exactly what I needed. It got used constantly. Cannot recommend enough!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My best “diaper bags” have been the 31 sling bags. Easy to carry while baby wearing, light weight and surprisingly fit a lot. This is my everyday day diaper bag
    Backpack diaper bag JuJuBe Be Right. These fit everything and are great with multiple kids. I can fit a change of clothes for everyone, bottles, wallet, diaper, etc. plenty of useful pockets. This is my go to travel diaper bag.
    Splurge. I absolutely loved my Coach diaper bag with my first baby. You could literally fit EVERYTHING in it. It also had the best interior pockets so stuff was easy to find. I only stopped using it because I found the backpack styles to be easier to carry when I had a toddler running around. I still use it as my carry on when flying
  • batmama31batmama31 member
    edited October 2018
    first diaper bag was some brandless bag from china, ordered online. it worked well enough, I guess. but I hated that the "insulated" bottle pockets weren't insulated at all, and I hated how cheap the material felt in general. I also hated that it screamed, "look at me! I'm a DIAPER BAG!"

I tried making a few of my larger purses work as a diaper bag, by tossing a diaper clutch in them. no dice.

I discovered ju-ju-be when my son was about 8mo. old. first bag was a hobobe. I loved that it didn't actually look like a diaper bag, but was still super functional. I constantly got compliments on it!

I have since acquired a few more ju-ju-be bags. I absolutely love them. brb for all day outings, or travel. (I've used mine at the zoo & disney. also makes a great carry-on for the plane.) have 2 minibe's that my son uses to toss toys & books in whenever we go out. I have a superbe that I primarily use for splash pads, pool & beach. I've also packed it up for an overnight stay w/ grandma for my son. although I haven't carried a daily diaper bag in about 2yrs, I couldn't resist buying a bff in the sushi cars print during jujube's last warehouse sale. I can't wait to use it for this new baby! it can be carried backpack AND messenger style.

every single jujube bag has great great organization. they thought of everything w/ these bags! and they're all washable!

jujube just released a vegan leather line that I am obsessing over right now. I do have an original size fawn design bag, that is beautiful, but heavy. I've watched a few packing videos for jjb's vegan leather bags on youtube (if you ever want to feel inadequate as a parent, just watch a few of these). reviews say they are surprisingly light. I'm loving how the everyday tote packs up for a newborn. I plan on buying it, and using it as a personal purse/work bag once baby outgrows the need for diaper bags.

another bag I'm gonna need this time around is a work/pump bag. I didn't work w/ my first, so I never had a need to lug my breast pump around. luckily, jujube also recently released 3 bags specifically designed to carry your breast pump! but I sometimes have to lug my work computer home w/ me, so it's gotta be roomy, and comfortable to carry. I'm gonna give the be nurtured a try. it's jjb's backpack style pump bag. it looks big enough to fit all my pumping needs, lunch & computer on those days I have to lug that thing home. 

I'm a little bit frustrated that there are hardly any packing videos of the be nurtured packed up for a working mama. I'm considering making one when I get it. o_O I've never done anything like this before. but I figure if I'm looking for one, surely other moms are, too?

so I realize that my entire post reads like a giant jujube ad. I swear to you I don't work for them! I'm just a nut!  :p
  • We used a Skip Hop Duo last time. It was great! Had great pockets, came with a little changing pad. It's especially nice if you take a stroller a lot, because it has built in clips that hook it to the stroller. 

Since DS is older now, I just use a cute backpack which may have converted me to wanting a backpack this time. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @batmama31 now I want a vegan leather JuJuBe! I’m in love with it, I’ll have to wait for a sale  lol
  • @blueberrymomma, I just remembered! I was on their website a few days ago, and I put something in my basket, then left it there. the next day I had a 20% off coupon in my email. maybe try that? :#

• @batmama31 yes to everything you said about jujube! I'm going to look into those breast pump bags you mentioned, I never liked my set up last time. I watched a bunch of packing videos before I got the jujube just to make sure that it would work for what I needed.  I think working mamas would appreciate a video if you made one. 

I have a jujube BFF bag which can be a messenger or a backpack. I used it as a daily diaper bag until LO was potty trained because it can fit all the things. I pretty much only used it as a backpack. I had an issue of a zipper pull coming off and I emailed customer service and they mailed me a new set - they have a lifetime warranty on all their bags. Jujube bags are also washable and have treated interiors so that they won't grow bacteria or mold. 

I also have the jujube Be Quick which I either stuck in the diaper back or used as a wristlet when LO got older and I didn't need an actual bag all the time.  I've had both bags 3 years and they still looks brand new. We only use it as a overnight bag now but I'll start using it regularly when baby gets here. 
  • I have always been a minimalist. Pre-Baby if I carried a purse it was just like a clutch. I HATED all diaper bags. I wanted something small and easy and something DH would be will to carry. All the diaper bags on the market are HUGE.

We ended up buy a really cheap crossbody bag (Amazon link) for under $20. I though so what if it breaks I will buy another for that price but 2 years later we still have and use it. It can fit diapers, wipes, snacks, changing pad. 

On longer days out we have a regular backbag we take out and works great. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• We also used a Skip Hop one last time. This time around, We are getting a backpack. If I could go back and redo, I'd get a backpack. You need pockets and compartments. An 8 pound baby needs more than a 30 pound toddler (unless they are potty training).
  • We have a good ol' Fischer Price diaper bag - backpack-style, so my husband would use it too.  We're happy with it - lots of pockets that all have their own purpose.  We travel pretty heavy (bottles and formula, diapers and wipes, a change of clothes, bibs and burp cloths, plus some toys) and it accommodates everything we need.  Doesn't always fit under the stroller, but that says more about my stroller than the diaper bag.
  • I want this backpack version (maybe not this color the teal just ran out of stock... and then this clutch option for
    quick trips  we cloth diaper so I need something big enough to carry some fluffy stuff. We used a snowboarding backpack with dd after our diaper bag ripped and it was fine but I got annoyed with it’s size and awkward shape so it’s now a travel bag as it can hold all the things.  And my “clutch” changing pad was not very big or clutch like  so I want an upgrade.
  • I'm convinced that the perfect diaper bag doesn't exist, but most will do fine.  I don't think you need to stress over it much, although it's easy to get lost trying to choose the right bag.  When we registered, I chose one and H chose one.  Both were Skiphop and came with changing pads in them, which is essential.  Make sure you get one or two if your diaper bag doesn't come with it.  Many places don't have changing tables and you will not want to put your baby down directly on one even if it's available.

H got the Duo backpack.  He's fine with his - no issues, and honestly he doesn't use it that often or need a lot of capacity because it's rare that he takes the baby somewhere alone for a long stretch of time.  I would probably find it a little small.

I got the Skiphop Chelsea tote, and I do like it very much, but I found a backpack more convenient for traveling, so I got the Skiphop Forma later on as well.  I do like the Forma for traveling, but I feel like it's huge, even compared to the Chelsea, which I don't think has less capacity, it just has smaller pockets so it wouldn't work if you were trying to carry something larger.  I can get my breast pump in the Forma pretty easily which is nice if I'm going to be out for a while or traveling because I'm really not about to carry a pumping bag AND a diaper bag.  I'm a little lazy about switching bags so the Forma has gotten the most use lately, but I need to cut that out.

Also those little portable changing stations are gold for if you're taking a quick trip, or even just keeping spare supplies in the car.

Other unsolicited but related advice:  skip the high end designer diaper bags.  At one point H was thinking of buying me an expensive designer diaper bag as a gift because somebody recommended it to him after getting their wife a Gucci - luckily he did not.  Your diaper bag is going to get tossed around all over the place.  At some point it's probably going to have to go on a floor, possibly a bathroom floor, and you'll be much less upset about it if it's not a gorgeous $1,300 bag.  This is coming from somebody who loves high quality designer stuff, but like, it's a diaper bag.  Are you going to want to shove a poop-filled diaper in your Gucci when you're somewhere you can't throw it out right away?  Probably not.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have the Skip Hop Forma and I LOVE it. (https://www.skiphop.com/skiphop-diaper-bags/V_203252.html). I love that the front part has 2 little "packing cubes." Now that DD is 2, we use one of them like a diaper clutch. I just toss it in the car when we go out. I found mine at Winner's so I got it even cheaper than other places sell it, and it also comes as a backpack too!
  • @batmama31 I just got sucked into youtube jujube videos during my lunch break. I'm now considering the Be Nurtured because it would make both a great pump bag and diaper bag. I saw a review with the Be Equipped but it's not on their website - I'm hoping they bring it back but I could probably get by with some set pieces and a regular fuel cell. 
  • @gollygeeitsamy, I think you can find some be equipped sets on amazon. I am hoping to score a set myself!
  • I have an Obersee backpack diaper bag and it’s been great. It’s black and doesn’t really look like a diaper bag, includes a changing pad and it comes with a detachable cooler bag. It’s held up really well and we still throw DDs stuff in it when she stays all day at my moms. I got it half off on kids woot I think? It easily would have gone through another kid. I also just bought a diaper bag by Hip Cub. I tend to carry the backpack on one shoulder so I’m trying out a messenger style this time. It’s  seems like it will do well, nice pockets, plenty of room. The nice thing about the backpack is that my stroller has separate handles and the backpack can hang off them. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • saraleigh2saraleigh2 member
    edited October 2018
    We did the petunia picklebottom back pack style diaper bag with our first. It also has a cross body or shoulder strap and they are adjustable. I found it easy to carry while baby wearing. It did fit under my stroller but I preferred the stroller straps which I purchased separately that way I could still easily get to wipes, teething toys bibs etc. (pro tip keep the stroller straps attached to the diaper bag and use the Velcro to attach to stroller). 

They came in glazed (which is water resistant and wipes clean) and various other fabrics most are at least dry clean friendly. They are pricy $140-200+ but the patters are so pretty and if I was going to be stuck carrying it around instead of a purse I liked I found it reasonable. I chose a gray and white pattern and my husband doesn’t mind carrying it either.

It’s held up great and I will use it with my second. It has a fold out changing pad and diaper supply area in the front which was great until about 5 mo then he was too big for it and I just used a blanket. Three are 4 interior pockets that I found convenient for keeping things organized.

Also they sell helpful accessories like stroller clips -a must,  a bottle bag that is easily cleaned if it leaks (we will use for sipy cups since we breastfeed) and a binky holder which I will use for teethers and clip to the outside so that it’s handy. I didn’t bother with these (last 2) accessories the first time (you don’t need them but it will be a nice convenience and since I’m not buying a new diaper bag it will be a treat. 
  • I decided to go with a black backpack by Eastsport. My priority was having a diaper bag that my husband would feel comfortable carrying around. I prefer backpack style. I don't want a diaper bag that resembles a purse but I want to use it as a purse too. It doesn't stand out, is only $20, and has an insulated pocket which is why we went with this one.
  • I mostly used a Hip Cub bag with DD (well made, came with stroller straps and a changing pad, and I like the huge side pockets), but then when she got older and I needed two hands at all times I switched to a backpack style, and I intentionally wanted a smaller one because some of the big ones were huge and cumbersome on my smaller frame. But now I’m not sure it’ll be big enough for DD *and* new baby’s stuff. I’m on the hunt for a medium sized backpack diaper bag, because I still don’t want a huge one. I’ll look at some of the above, but I do like fashionable ones that look like diaper bags. 
    Anyway the backpack I have I really love, so the FTMs among you with a singleton might like it: mommore Fashion Diaper Backpack... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BXK8P9?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
  • I also got this one to try and I really liked it. It was just too big for me. But the quality was nice and so were all the pockets and amenities. mommore Fully Opened Baby Diaper... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QNN632?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
  • @HGRich those bags are definitely cute!!
  • We did a backpack with no.1 and I found a gently used petunia pickle bottom for no.2  my friend had one and I loved it and decided to switch. I love the changing pad that’s attached. And the patterns are classy. 
  • PSA: ju-ju-be diaper bags on sale on their website, AND on buybuybaby! today, select products on ju-ju-be.com are 40% off, tomorrow they will be 50%
  • @batmama31 couldn't resist looking since you mentioned they're on sale and I LOVE the BFF diaper bag - will probably order one tomorrow :) 
  • My husband was saying we should get a unisex one so he can take it as well when he takes the baby. Anyone else have a unisex diaper bag they’ve used or would recommend?
  • I will probably do a JuJuBe.. Although I really would like a Lily Jade, I think DH will say no way to that one immediately! ha!! 
    DD #1: BFP: 3-6-10 EDD: 11-10-10 Baby Girl Came 11-1-10
    DD #2: BFP: 8-19-18 EDD: 4-30-19
  • @distraction those lily jade bags are beautiful! the 2 things holding me back are price and I can't help but think how heavy those bags weigh empty, much less full of all the baby gear I'll be carrying around. I do have a full size fawn design. it's not even real leather, but it's so damn heavy that I don't use it very often. I'll be selling it soon. 
  • @batmama31 ok, that makes me feel better! I wasn't thinking about the empty weight! 😬 
    DD #1: BFP: 3-6-10 EDD: 11-10-10 Baby Girl Came 11-1-10
    DD #2: BFP: 8-19-18 EDD: 4-30-19
  • @distraction, if you love both jjb & lily jade, I would recommend jjb's new ever collection. I just got my everyday tote & wherever weekender in the mail and they are gorgeous! AND they aren't heavy in the slightest. I haven't packed either one up, yet. I plan to post a youtube packing video for the weekender once I have it packed up as my hospital bag.