2nd Trimester

Running, incontinence, and indigestion

Help!! I'm finally back on track with running (the morning sickness has subsided, hurrah!) but now have to pee basically every 1/2 - 1 mile and I'm so frustrated. Not to mention the indigestion I keep getting. It's not heartburn, just have to go to #2 quite a lot. Sorry for the TMI. Do any of you running ladies have these problems?

My doctor said the incontinence isn't due to the baby pushing since I'm only 20 weeks in. He said it's because I'm producing more blood for the baby, and therefore my kidneys have to process a lot more wastewater, aka urine. :/

Any advice or suggestions? Does the incontinence ever go away? Thanks everyone!

Re: Running, incontinence, and indigestion

• Help!! I'm finally back on track with running (the morning sickness has subsided, hurrah!) but now have to pee basically every 1/2 - 1 mile and I'm so frustrated. Not to mention the indigestion I keep getting. It's not heartburn, just have to go to #2 quite a lot. Sorry for the TMI. Do any of you running ladies have these problems?

My doctor said the incontinence isn't due to the baby pushing since I'm only 20 weeks in. He said it's because I'm producing more blood for the baby, and therefore my kidneys have to process a lot more wastewater, aka urine. :/

Any advice or suggestions? Does the incontinence ever go away? Thanks everyone!
    The incontinence will go away after baby is born and your body adjusts to 'post baby' normal.  
  • From one running mom to another - the need to pee constantly while running will not go away until after the baby is born. Try to either use the treadmill at the gym, so you can hop off as often as needed, or plan a running route with lots of bathrooms. A 1 mile loop from your house will work well. I know it’s frustrating, but it won’t be forever. 

There is also nothing wrong with switching to a different kind of exercise during pregnancy. Swimming, weights, walking, yoga are all lower impact and will at least take the bouncing out of the equation for your bladder. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! That is great advice.
  • My incontinence improIved after my first pregnancy, but didn't after my second. Though in my case it might be surgical. I do second using a treadmill rather than running outside so you can take breaks. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers