April 2019 Moms

GTKY: What is your crazy?

I feel like having a little bit of fun. What is something that you think makes you crazy? ( do you own 20 cats? Do you play music for your houseplants? )

Mine: 
Im pretty sure I’ll win the lotto one day, even though I always forget to play. 

Re: GTKY: What is your crazy?

• When I first started dating DH, he had roommates. One had a dog; to which had a "voice" that all the guys used when the dog was "talking." 

Now all the dogs in the group have a "voice." Including our two. So I will talk to one of them and answer in their "voice."

Lord we are really weird when I type that out. For the record, it's not ALL the time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • There's no fun in my crazy, it's just a little cleanliness OCD.  Most of the time I can sort of tolerate a very small amount of mess, like things that are maybe not in their exact place (NOT if anybody is coming over), but as far as actual cleaning and germs I am excessive.  Like, it really bugs me when things can't go in the dishwasher because I don't think anything is truly clean otherwise, and if a piece of clean laundry falls out of the basket in the garage (where the washer is) I will put it back in the hamper to be washed again.

Pregnancy makes me worse, motherhood has as well.  I do not allow any shoes on the carpets in our house - luckily we have all wood and tile, but we have area rugs in the living room and in the nursery - because the baby plays there and it horrifies me to even think about the germs that would be tracked in.  Hard floors at least can be washed easily.  We have a door to the outside in our living room and occasionally guests will try to come in that way and I literally will not let them in because they will track yuck on the carpet.  I sort of know this is crazy, but really only because everyone else thinks it's nuts - deep down I feel that it is other people that are gross, not me being crazy, so I think that makes me all the more crazy.  Ok, now I am rambling so I'd better stop... #TRIGGERED
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BarefootContessa If I forget to clean my ears out in the morning, I feel gross all day!

I have another one; I double check all the doors that lead to the outside of our house every night. Even if we haven't gone in/out of them all day (we don't use our front door often but I still check it).  And we have an alarm system. Can never be to safe.
  • My crazy is some OCD stuff I guess.
    Can’t relax if my kitchen is messy or there are dishes in the sink. 
    Bothers me if cabinet door are left open.
    the way people pronounce certain words.
    Theres a superstition my Gramma told me about...never hand someone sharp objects (knives, scissors) because you will have an argument with that person. lol I do it all the time religiously. Lol
    and the last thing...when someone mispronunciations my first name. 🤬
    its legit Izzy and people still mess it up lol
  • When I was a kid (like 2nd grade?) a school mate's dad would come in after lunch and read us stories from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. One story was about a possessed scarecrow that skinned a farmer.  I grew up on a small farm and we always had scarecrows in the fields. The story 100% freaked me out and for like 2-3 years I thought an evil scarecrow lived in the dark outside of our house and if I didn't have enough lights on he'd get into the house. I don't think I ever told my parents about it. 
  • kaleesi93kaleesi93 member
    edited September 2018
    I feel like my life is an exercise in crazy, but one thing that at least stands out to other people and causes an outrage, is how afraid I am of water close to my head. I can't swim, or put my head back in a shower and the moment I feel water too close to my ears I royally panic. Which almost caused me to drown when I was younger, in one of the many stupid attempts people came up with to force me to learn to swim. Didn't work. 

• suchagoodonesuchagoodone member
    edited September 2018
    I’m a Jr High teacher.  “We’re all mad here!”
  • edited September 2018
    Hmm. Let's go with how hard I've gone into dungeons and dragons miniatures and terrain. Despite like, not having a session at our place in years.
    My people! Lol. ETA... I don't have many minis, but a ridiculous amount of terrain and hundreds of dice.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • At home, I sing... Like, almost constantly. Songs about my dogs or my daughter or what I'm doing or thinking.  My husband just doesn't hear it at this point.  He's gone on record saying I could sing that I'm cheating on him and he still would never know  :D
  • I have 4 cats. One of them is hairless and she's basically like having another child..she's so spoiled. We also have 4 hermit crabs, and currently a praying mantis + my daughter brought in a group of snails she wants to keep forever, lol. So, ya know, fairly crazy.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • @kaleesi93 I knew someone who’s sister had that same fear. And the rest of her family were competitive swimmers. 

I get severe anxiety when I have to make a phone call to a new person or place(like a doctor). Sometimes it takes me over a week to talk myself into making the phone call. My husband makes all dinner reservations and used to have to make the children’s doctors appointments. He used to argue with me about my ridiculousness but now he actually offers to make the phone calls for me. I have absolutely no explanation for this

• @blueberrymomma I hate making calls. If I don't know the number or am not expecting a call, I will not answer. Luckily pregnancy excitement got me to immediately call the Dr. and set up my appointments, but it's not for me, its for the baby.. 
    Which leads to my crazy.. I won't ever go out of my way for myself or bug someone on my behalf, but if a friend or stranger needs something, I will.. Oh, you have phone anxiety (too)? Let me make this call for you.. that sort of thing. . I also have a hard time bringing myself to watch new tv shows/episodes and movies, unless I am really hyped up for them. I will watch the same rerun before some new hit show usually. 

TTC again since 8/2016
    Me:35 Dh:31
    1 German sheperd puppy
    BFP August 24 2018!
  • kaleesi93kaleesi93 member
    edited September 2018
    @blueberrymomma that's the first time anybody knows of somebody else with the same fear. I have to call it claustrophobia to even help ppl understand.
    Also calling anybody except my bf is panic time so I got you.. except when it come to calling up strangers that are being jerks to my little brother. I straight up called up his boss and ripped her butt over coals for her trash behaviour towards him and I don't know how, other than severe mama bear instincts. 
    Apparently she was stunned enough that she couldn't even fire him so win. 
  • @blueberrymomma @kaleesi93 I am with you 100% on the phone anxiety. 
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Lol @kangstadt that would be the best thing ever 
  • @kaleesi93, if they weren't the kind of people that would definitely call the cops on me, I would totally do it :lol:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • i HATE eating broken foods. like crackers that aren't the complete cracker. same goes for chips/nuts. My son has developed the same thing and legit refuses to eat broken crackers. it totally cracks me up. also, for smaller snack foods, I can't eat just one at a time. like M&Ms... I try to eat them in twos or threes. If I mess up and there's only one left in the bag at the end, I'll usually leave it.
    I'm sure I've got other crazy things but that's the one that comes to mind.
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited September 2018
    I have an extreme phobia of nausea/vomit (emetephobia). And, ironically, the anxiety over the possibility usually makes me nauseous. For example: I get super nauseous every time I have a positive pregnancy test because I’m worried I will be super nauseous or throw up. I’m lucky that I’ve only had moderate to mild nausea with my previous pregnancies and none this time around! I have to take anxiety meds to fly. Not because I’m afraid of crashing or even claustrophobia. It’s because I’m afraid I’ll feel nauseous which usually makes me feel nauseous. The motion doesn’t help. I also have to wear headphones bc I’m afraid I’ll hear if someone else gets nauseous and throws up on the plane. I would go into hysteria and never recover. I don’t do crowded or drunken car rides. I’ve never been super intoxicated due to this. I don’t do theme parks. And I seriously freak out if my kids have the stomach bug. I’m almost out of my tiny bottle of emergency Zofran and that alone makes me anxious. If someone around me is nauseous or has thrown up, I’m anxious, nauseous, and have no appetite for the whole day.

ETA: If someone I worked with was pregnant I wouldn’t go into the bathroom at the same time as them. I assumed all pregnant people only went to the bathroom to throw up haha!
  • If I'm eating a pack of M&M's, I have to arrange them by color, and then I eat the smallest amount to the largest amount. So if I wind up with 1 brown M&M, 2 yellow, 5 green, 7 blue, etc...I have to start with the brown one and work my way up.

And all the volume controls have to be on an even number.

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• @sheknows6, it's not a have to thing for me, but I do something similar.  I'll arrange by color and then eat the ones that have more first so that I have an even number of all the colors.  (5 brown, 4 of everything else, I'll eat one brown first, then one of each so they stay even with each other.)

I've also arranged my kid's crayons by hue and color before.  But I'm usually too lazy (i.e., not actually OCD so I don't focus on it) to do it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt and @sheknows6 I arrange mine by color and also eat the odd man out first, but then I eat in order of my preference for the color (M&Ms) or flavor (Skittles). So like Skittles it goes - Purple, Green, Orange, Red, Yellow.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @MRDCle that’s how I eat them too!

I also arrange my closet by color (light to dark), and style. So tanks, then workout shirts, then T-shirts, then long sleeved, then sweaters, and then dresses. Also my shoes and pants are arranged by color too lol.  I used to do my husbands and kids that way too. But DH does his own laundry and DD puts her own clothes away. 
  • @MRDCle I do the same with M&Ms, everyone tells me I'm crazy but my family does it too.

@blueberrymomma I feel the phone thing so much. I don't make any phone calls if I can avoid it, except to my mom or DW. DW makes all the calls, especially to the insurance, car repairs, the bank, doctors, internet companies, etc. I try to ignore the landline when it rings.

I have so many things, I can't remember what other folks feel is weird anymore. Most of it is actual crazy.

One that stands out is that I can't go to new places alone without serious anxiety, sometimes panic attacks. So I usually go to a new place with someone else first, and then I can face it later on. This applies to restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, doctors offices, public parks, new streets in new towns, pretty much any location you can think of.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • @middy411 I used to have a mild form of this. I felt the exact same way on the airplane. Anxious, not because of the flying but because I might have to throw up. I used to always take dramamine and then I would pass out. I don't know how I got over the flying aspect. But when I'm pregnant I'm also always paranoid that I will be nauseous when I'm stuck somewhere and can't get out. Like at a conference in a middle seat of a long, tight row. Or testifying in front of a bunch of people at a budget hearing (with my last pregnancy).
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Wow @middy411, I’m the exact same way. I admit that I wear earplugs in public bathrooms often because I tend to be “lucky” enough to be in the bathroom when other people are vomiting. I can’t listen to it, smell it, be around it, etc. Can’t see it on TV shows, can’t even think about it. I’m so anxious when my husband is sick and when he goes to the restroom to vomit, he puts on music so I don’t have to hear it. 
    I have no idea what I’ll do when my kid is sick one day. 
  • @middy411 THIS IS LITERALLY ME. I’m not kidding, I have serious issues. I didn’t ever want to be pregnant or have kids for JUST this reason. I couldn’t even attend most my classes in high school because people around me were sick. Can’t handle it.
  • kangstadt said:
    @sheknows6, it's not a have to thing for me, but I do something similar.  I'll arrange by color and then eat the ones that have more first so that I have an even number of all the colors.  (5 brown, 4 of everything else, I'll eat one brown first, then one of each so they stay even with each other.)

I totally do this, or I purposely pick out the same number of each color so that I have an even amount.  
    I have arranged our closet so that it is a rainbow- each clothing type (short sleeve, long sleeve, type of dress, etc) is in rainbow order.  
    I try to keep volume controls directly in the middle (if there is a mark to show where it’s at) and then use the control on the steering wheel to turn it up or down.  
  • @aqualicious, yep, and the volume has to be on an even number or preferably a multiple of five or ten.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lovelybabybumpz @sdelg09 @b9315 It’s crazy how many of us are out there. I have a local friend who has emetephobia as badly as I do. I actually feel like my anxiety in general has gone down since having my first child. I successfully flew to Cancun with my husband last year but did get nauseous during a cab (bus) ride back with drunk people in the car. I thought I was going to throw up on everyone just bc they were drunk and might throw up lol. 

And @sdelg09 both of my previous babies were heavy spitters and then serious gaggers/vomitters when starting solids. So I gradually got used to the transition to throw up. But I do definitely freak out when my 2 year old has the stomach bug. She has a full blown grown up tummy now. I sort of close my eyes and have towels and rags everywhere. Sometimes I even plug my ears lol
  • @MRDCle that’s how I eat them too!

I also arrange my closet by color (light to dark), and style. So tanks, then workout shirts, then T-shirts, then long sleeved, then sweaters, and then dresses. Also my shoes and pants are arranged by color too lol.  I used to do my husbands and kids that way too. But DH does his own laundry and DD puts her own clothes away. 
    I arrange my closet by color too!! 
  • To everyone who is terrified of vomit (in any way)...I don't like vomit either and tend to be a sympathy vomiter. But for some reason, I handle it differently when DD is getting sick. Not that it makes it easier, or that I don't gag, or I don't want to vomit, but seeing your child sick makes your fear *almost* go away.

So it's still gross and you're still going to want to escape but you find your mom underwear, pull them up and deal with it. I gagged while writing this. LOL
  • @mrstmoose that’s what I was going to say, it’s amazing how you react differently when it’s your own child.
    @sheepshepherdess I don’t like going to new places alone either. I actually get anxiety about the possibility of having a panic attack. 

All these “crazy confessions” just makes me feel normal since we all seem to have the same crazy lol
  • My idiosyncrasies include not being able to sleep with the closet door open. Arranging clothes in my closet by type, color, and solid or patterned. Needing the ceiling fan on to fall asleep. Excessive budgeting. 
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • ooo the clothing thing reminded me! I also color coordinate my clothes, but most of my friends think I'm insane because all of my spices are in matching bottles with the same kind of label and they're all alphabetized. But whatever its so much easier to find them. I probably have more than 60. They take up an entire shelf in my pantry
  • I feel like a mess reading all these.  None of you would want to see my closet....or the piles of clothes on the chair next to my closet.  Or the floor...
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • My idiosyncrasies include not being able to sleep with the closet door open. Arranging clothes in my closet by type, color, and solid or patterned. Needing the ceiling fan on to fall asleep. Excessive budgeting. 
    Yes to the closet door being open!  It’s not as big of a deal now, since our closet is through the master bathroom.  Funny, I’ve never had the issue with the bathroom door though!