February 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bath Time

okayestmom12okayestmom12 member
edited October 2018 in February 2019 Moms

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's....Bath time!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste prompts as needed.

For S+TMs:

• Favorite [Bath time tools/ accessories]:

• Link/picture:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):

• What you like about it:

• What you don't like about it, if anything:

• Are there [Bath time tools/ accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?:

• Additional thoughts on [Bath time tools/ accessories]:

For FTMs:

• [Bath time tools/ accessories] you're interested in:

• Link/picture:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):

• Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past product spotlights, add suggestions for future spotlights see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZB2b3JaDWH7WnSQ0ZZMP4cMmKjUHFjlPanVeDTuzPY/edit?usp=sharing

Please feel free to add in suggestions at the bottom if there is anything you want to discuss... if you can't edit the spreadsheet, tag me below or shoot me a message.

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

T & J 5.9.09
MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
PVM 5.8.12
GWM 3.17.15
RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Product Spotlight: Bath Time

• Options
    Boon bathtub. It collapses and is amazing. https://booninc.com/products/naked 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @kayjay44 since it is collapsible, how well does the material hold up over time in the areas where it flexes?   I currently have a different boon bathtub on my registry (the soak 3 stage) but collapsible is a nice perk.

Other bath questions... Soap/shampoo preferences? Do babies need wash cloths/special softer baby wash cloths?  Are the adorable animal headed towels useful or just cute?

Thanks!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kid has sensitive skin, only things that didn’t irritate her were Aveeno and Aquaphor. I think the animal headed ones were plain cute but probably helped keep her warm.
  • Options
    lzzfranciscolzzfrancisco member
    edited September 2018
    In the past we've used j&j bath wash, or any generic brand was fine, too. The purple one that is calming really does relax them. I say you can't have too many tiny baby wash cloths, because I use one for the face with no soap, then one for everything else with soap. And for some reason on an infant I would never use it twice without washing? I guess because it would get my soaps on it most of the time when I showered. 
    We used one of the generic mesh bath chairs, I don't know the brand. But I really think it's unnecessary if you have a regular sized bath tub. I just used the sink until DD was too big, then just laid her in the tub with hardly any water until she could sit up. Baby bath tubs seems like an expensive waste of space to me.
    I will be in the market for one of those umbrella hats to keep water out of the eyes this time around! 
    ETA - adorable animal headed towels - useful and so cute! :) Baby bath robes, not useful!
  • Options
    I'm going to give the Baby Dove line a try with this one. I use Dove products on my skin and love them. 
    If that isn't good for LO I'll probably go back to Baby Aveeno.
  • Options
    I had the Fisher Price tub for DS and I saved it for this one too.  Has the different stage seats I like and a hook to hang dry.

Another vote for adorable head towels - keeps baby's head warm and dry and super cute to boot!  I also bought 80 billion baby wash cloths, I still use them on DS.  

Soap-wise: I was a big J&J user but I'm starting to feel guilty because of all the talk of yucky chemicals etc in the products?  I haven't read too much on it but I might give Baby Dove or Aveeno baby products a try this time around.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the Burt's Bees baby line? What about the baby wash from Dr. Bronner's? I try to buy products from companies that don't test on animals, and like both of those brands for my own soaps, so I was curious about the baby soaps that they make.
  • Options
    okayestmom12okayestmom12 member
    edited September 2018
    We used the FP Whale tub for my first two. It cracked in storage somehow so we pitched it and I was irrationally sad. I’m going to buy the same tub (for basically pennies) from our local consignment store so I can pretend all of my kids used the same tub. 

Yes to hooded baby towels and washcloths. Your own, regular washcloths work just fine - don’t fall for the “I need a special body sized wash cloth to cover baby”. 

I’ve used California Baby, Honest, and Jason brand soaps on my two. No real preference but did buy an Honest lotion/ wash pack with a coupon the other day so we’ll start with that. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    I used the munchkin infant bather, that sits on the counter and drains into the sink, until he was too big for it. Then either I sat in the tub with him or I have a shower that is big enough and I would actually just put that in the shower with me and wash him and then lay him down on the bather while I washed myself quickly. 

I just used Johnson and Johnson soap and stuff because I got so much of it from baby showers and I will use what I still have this time unless the baby has sensitive skin. 

I also love the hooded towels. Very cute and useful
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of a baby bath. They just take up so much space. I like to shower with babies. It is such awesome cuddle time. I will get in the shower and have DH bring me the baby when I am finished washing me. The first few times DH would get in to help me, because wet soapy babies are slippery, but once I got the hang of it I didn't need his help anymore. 
  • Options
    @thechickendance it’s survived two kids so far!

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @hannahbananas11 we have used it! It smells so good, and was totally fine with my extra sensitive skin baby 
  • Options
    We also have the FP whale tub and love it. The adjustable sling is great. Buy aaaalllllllllll the baby washcloths. They’re so much softer and inevitably you’ll end up using them when baby gets a nasty diaper rash in lieu of wipes. We also loved the hooded towels (spring for the fancy ones, I think they’re worth it) but skip the little robe. They’re darling but a pain in the ass. 
  • Options
    I wish I could shower with the baby, but we live in an apartment and the water temp fluctuates sometimes mid-shower, and can get scalding (to the point that I have to get in the corner out of the water stream and do some awesome ninja moves to turn down the hot water faucet). Holding a baby would make the ninja moves very difficult. :D@kayjay44 is the collapsible tub small enough to store in a cupboard under the sink, or is it still pretty large?
  • Options
    I feel really dumb right now because it never occurred to me that you could shower with a baby. We're lucky that space isn't an issue so I'll definitely be getting a mini tub. Thank you for the suggestions S+TMs! 
  • Options
    We shower with our kids when they are super little because it's easier and save the boon tub until they are a little bigger. It's also great skin to skin time.

@hannahbananas11 - It's still large around, but it's only like 2 inches thick. We store ours in our linen closet. You wouldn't even know it was there if you weren't looking for it.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    We had a cheap (like $15) blue plastic tub with a sling that we had snapped in it when our guy was tiny, and then once he could sit up, the sling came out, and we used it for a long long time before moving him into the bath proper. It never wore out, and we'll use it for the next little guy.

As for the hooded towels, the cuteness factor made it worth it. And whatever type of washcloth it is doesn't matter, but we use like two a bath, so you might want to get a bunch more washcloths if you don't have many!

Once my son could play in the bath, he was obsessed with the little sea creatures soft, "shooter" bath toys. He always loved baths until about a month ago, and so we graduated to bath crayons and the little dissolvable things that make the water turn colors, which made him back interested in bath time again!

• Options
    If this little girl is anything like her big sister she’ll be showers full time by two. DD has super thick hair, I’d be in there all day trying to get it all wet and rinsed.
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 we used the Burt’s Bees line when DD was tiny, loved it! Smelled great, never had any issues with it. We switched to Honest later on, which we also liked, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Burt’s Bees baby stuff!
  • Options
    If this little girl is anything like her big sister she’ll be showers full time by two. DD has super thick hair, I’d be in there all day trying to get it all wet and rinsed.
    Same with my DD. SO. MUCH. HAIR. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    I forgot too that once DS was old enough to sit on his own but still didn’t feel comfortable with him in the big tub I put a laundry basket in the tub and put him in it. That way it kept him contained and all his toys right by him
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    edited September 2018
    Anyone tried this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6YVW7B?colid=3O3SUZIRKB2M8&coliid=IQ7XZ54S0BQMT&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link

I don't know what I'll do at the infant stage, our bathroom sink is tiny and our kitchen sink is awkward. We do have a full sized bathtub, so something like this would be great. It's a little big and bulky, but I figure we can hang it up on the wall while not in use (like in one of the pics).
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Very newbie question here, since I've never bathed a baby: How careful do you have to be about not getting soap in the kid's face? The soaps that I've seen are all tear-free, but do you still have to tilt the kid's head back to keep water out of the face like I do when I wash shampoo out of my own hair? When I was a baby, my parents had this big old flower thing that went around my head to keep water from going down my face. Is that necessary? Do babies get freaked out with water in their face?
  • Options
    @grebretso That link isn't working for me, but I'm interested in what you're thinking of because I'm in a similar situation re: sinks of awkward size.
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 Lol, the link doubled down on the https. Should work now!
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @grebretso I've been eyeing that same one. I like that it has all of the little holes, which I feel like would make it easier to rinse off the soap from the baby, and one reviewer said that it's really grippy, so a wet soapy baby wouldn't slide down in it. I'm interested to see if anyone here has tried it.
  • Options
    @grebretso and @hannahbananas11, i havent tried it but the germaphobe in me is asking how hard would it be to clean with all those little hole thingys?
  • Options
    @cass06_07 Hmm. I doubt it'll be any more difficult to clean than a strainer, I'm sure scrubbing it with a sponge will be fine! 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Honestly, there is no real reason to use soap until the baby is older. Just water works fine. They don’t really get smelly and you’re really just washing off dead skin and spit up/milk/formula. I don’t worry too much about getting water in their face because I want them to be used to it. I’m not talking water boarding, but dribbles are totally fine  :D

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @hannahbananas11 we found something like this super helpful for keeping water/shampoo out of DD’s face. It’s squishy on one side so it keeps the water directed backward.
    Baby Rinse Cup Wash Hair Eye Shield Shampoo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J48HJ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_u5TQBbB31CA5D
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11- You def don't need anything around the head.  When they are very little especially, they might be partly submerged (like bottom half in the sling or whatever), but you are washcloth-bathing lots of them, especially their face. And I agree I did not use soap on the cloth for the face until my kid was much bigger, and only because he's become a messy eating sticky face!
  • Options
    Good to know! I guess I figured that baby baths would be just like adult baths with soap and shampoo for cleaning. I'm glad I asked! LOL
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11- we definitely put johnson and johnson or whatever in the bath water. His head just wasn't anywhere near the bath water.  I'm sure there's loads of ways to do it.  We just rely on cloth washint a lot!
  • Options
    Some kids hate their faces wet (my son). Other kids don’t care (my daughter). 

Baby baths are isually reclined enough that if/ when you pour water, all you need to do is “cup” the forehead to keep the water out of their eyes. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    @BourbonBiscuits - It falls under my golden rule: "Don't be a dick".

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @kayjay44 That golden rule would be beautiful as a cross-stitched sampler on the wall! LOLOL