April 2019 Moms

Cousin’s baby has bacterial meningitis.

kaitykinskaitykins member
edited September 2018 in April 2019 Moms
Baby K. He is pulling out of the woods with bacterial
meningitis. He is still in a lot of pain and vomiting every morning. He is only 9m old. Today they found out he lost his hearing  due to complications. They are still not sure of other complications. 

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has a child with hearing loss or knows someone close to them. I want to be as supportive as possible with my family (although they live across the country) and was wondering about resources. I guess I could go ask in the special needs message board too. Just feeling sad for all struggles this cold will
have and needed to put it out there somewhere. Prayers appreciated. 

Re: Cousin’s baby has bacterial meningitis.

• My degree is in Deaf Ed, and I taught Deaf kids for 8 years. What state do they live in? Feel free to send me a message if want.
  • My degree is in Deaf Ed, and I taught Deaf kids for 8 years. What state do they live in? Feel free to send me a message if want.
    I messaged you. 

I’ve studied ASL, CUED Speech and Deaf culture (my degree is in special
    Education). 

Its just so shocking to nearly lose him and then have him lose his hearing. Their family is stuggling financially and have had a lot of loss recently.

They have 2 girls,  lost twin girls a few years ago right after birth and now their rainbow baby boy is fighting to live. :/ 
  • Loading the player...
  • Praying for that sweet boy and your family. My kids have a genetic vision impairment. So I know there are a lot of resources for them and I’d assume there are also some for hearing impairments. Check with your states Early Intervention (it’s called EarlyOn I’m Michigan). 
  • My heart goes out to you and their family. I hope the hospital social worker can also point them in the right direction with resources in their community. The local United Way can also help provide resources.

I'd also like to add, that anyone can see pictures that you add onto TB (like, creepers), so you might want to take down the picture of the child that isn't yours. I personally wouldn't want my cousins putting my child's picture up on the internet without my consent. 
  • That poor baby and your poor family! I can't even imagine. I have no advice to give you, but I will certainly be thinking of you all <3 
  • @kbirchtree what a scary time. My cousin had meningitis as a toddler and just graduated from Yale with a degree in neuroscience if that’s any comfort.

on a more practical note, facebook has a lot of support groups for PICU parents. I’m in NICU ones, so I don’t have any PICU ones in particular to recommend, but I find these groups to be helpful in validating my feelings about the experience and normalizing parental mental health treatment. PTSD is a reality in these groups, as is anxiety and depression, because who wouldn’t be anxious and traumatized when their child is hospitalized in severe danger? Parents also react differently to this sort of stressor, which puts a strain on the relationship. Please tell your cousin to not ignore couples counseling and individual therapy as the whole family works to recover from the experience.