January 2019 Moms

Question for Teachers (XP to Working Moms)

Those of you who don't know, I'm a high school teacher (physics and math) and we have a candidate coming in next week to interview for long-term sub to cover my leave.
The position would be for Jan, Feb, and March, then I'll be returning for the rest of the year (about 8 more weeks of school).

What questions would you ask the candidate? I've never sat in on an interview before, and this is the first time I'll be leaving my class in someone else's hands for more than a day. I covered a maternity leave a few years ago, but can't remember if they asked me anything specific to covering a maternity leave. The teacher I covered for didn't even sit in on the interview, although she did sort of know me from subbing in the school before, as well as being former student.

I'm sure the administration will have their own, standard interview questions they'll ask, but I was wondering if there were any other specific questions you'd ask the person potentially taking over your class.

Thanks in advance!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Question for Teachers (XP to Working Moms)

• I had two different maternity leave teachers when I was out with DD (I missed parts of two school years). It’s nerve wracking to have someone else in charge of your kids! Especially when you’re handing them over only temporarily.

I think what you want to ask depends on what you want out of the experience. Are you looking for the continuity in your daily routines and lessons, or are you giving flexibility? My first replacement was under really strict guidelines to follow my exact notes and exams because she had three sections of an honors geometry class, but I gave her creative freedom in my algebra 1 class (with in reason of following my calendar and using my exams).

i know those aren’t really questions but thinking in that direction might help you focus on what’s important to you to learn about the person!
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• I teach special ed (and kindergarten) so its probably a little different but when I have sat on interview panels, we usually do some questions about the candidate's understanding of specific disabilities and then a few scenarios about how they would handle certain types of behaviors. And we ask about their philosophy around collaborating with other staff/service providers. 
    Like @BitterBetty12 said, it would be important to decide what you expect the sub to do while you're out. Are you staying out the rest of the school year or just for a few months? When I was out with DD (from August-January), I was a little disappointed when I came back that my students were not where I was hoping they would be by that point in the school year. I had to let that go. 
    It's always interesting because whatever you end up asking, a person's demeanor will come through in the way they answer the questions, and not just their words. 
    Good luck! :)
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016