May 2019 Moms

Pets and Pregnancy

Good morning, Bumpers. I have a question as a FTM about pets and pregnancy. 

I've heard that dogs can figure out that a woman is pregnant, and that their behavior often changes as a result. I have a very anxious, very needy Dutch Shepard, but in the last week I've noticed she's doing something unusual. She will always lie in bed with us at night, until she thinks we're asleep. Then she leaves to go sleep elsewhere, as my husband and I toss and turn at night and it keeps her awake (poor baby I know). Yet for the last week, she climbs into bed and presses herself up against me and does not move all night. I've woken up every morning for the last week and she's still pressed hard against me, almost snuggling me out of the bed.

**TMI WARNING: I have noticed the change in perfume from my lady bits, which apparently is normal, but I'm wondering if her dog-nose is picking up on that too.**

Does anyone have any experience with pets behaving oddly when they're pregnant? 

Pet Tax
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Pets and Pregnancy

• @MegEn1 my yellow labs are extra snuggly. I heard that dogs can sense the change in hormones. They are in guard dog mode now.
  • @MegEn1 That is the cutest thing to hear!  My dog was oblivious my first pregnancy (was an MMC in the end)... and even this one she seems just as oblivious lol I wish she wasn't.  Enjoy it!!!

• Loading the player...
  • I have a cat who is sweet, but has never been particularly cuddly. Lately though, she's been laying all over me. I think she knew before I did that I was pregnant. Animals are amazing sometimes! 
  • My dog was extra snuggly with me when I was pregnant and she was VERY attached to me the days leading up to labor... I am pretty sure she sensed a shift in hormones or something. She's part beagle and has a crazy nose. She was very happy with her new human when we brought home the baby and followed her around for the first few months.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• I've got two dogs and a cat and yes, our one dog and my cat have definitely been more snuggly with me for my first two pregnancies. I haven't noticed it as much with this one, but I wonder if it's because our life has changed so much. One of our dogs has become weirdly bonded to DD2, we're not sitting at home as much, I spend much less time with them in general. And our life has been very unsettled due to renovating our house. So, maybe their ability to sense it has been blocked by all the craziness, or my ability to notice it.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• We have a dog (he's a rescue, but we think he's a silky/Yorkie terrier of sorts), and he has been on. My. Jock.  He wants to cuddle on my lap, he wants to sleep next to my waist, and he wants to be where I am (including under my feet when I'm trying to walk).  I think he knew before I knew.
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • When I was pregnant last time- my dog was exact opposite - she wouldn’t listen to me at all- I am hoping it will be different this time around. 
  • My dog was a total d-bag to me my first pregnancy. He'd step all over my stomach and barely cuddled with me. I wonder if he knew it was a boy and felt threatened? They have an ok relationship, but he's definitely skittish and doesn't get very cuddly with him. He's pretty much acting the same this time so we'll see if it's another boy or he's just jealous of there being another baby! lol
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• bumbly_bbumbly_b member
    edited September 2018
    We have a lab (Orion) and a Mal x (Panzer). Orion is really DH's dog but he has totally been mine for about the last week. Wants to snuggle with me and when we go play at the river he stays with me instead of playing with Panzer and H.

Panzer has never been a cuddly boy but will now come lay with me and let me hug him. He was a rescue and is slow in his affections. Super protective though. 

• Now that you mention it, our cat has been sleeping on my husband’s side of the bed the past couple of weeks. Maybe he does know! My son is obsessed with the cat, but the cat hides until DS is asleep each night. haha He’s at least very tolerant and patient with him. Bless his heart.. he’s probably giving me the cold shoulder because another tiny loud human is coming. 
  • @zuuls_mom That's interesting about the competition factor.  Our pup was super cuddly when I was pregnant with DD also, but once she was born, he grew tired of her really quickly.  He would dramatically sigh, get up, and move across the bed at night when she cried.  We joked that he didn't know what to do about the extra-loud bald puppy that now lived with him.  They're much better now, but he's still not sure about her.  His bald puppy side-eye is on point now, he did it so often.
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
  • Our dog (a Bernese Mountain Dog) was totally oblivious to the fact I was pregnant, but that’s kind of how he lives his life. He is wonderful with DS now. It was a little rough when DS was just learning to walk, but now that he is old enough to understand being gentle and leaving the dog alone when he’s on his bed, it’s a lot better. 
  • I was doing research because I’ve noticed the same thing! Dogs don’t “know” that we are pregnant, per say, but because our hormones levels have changed, the scent we give off has also changed! The notice this change in the way we smell to them and become more attentive to us because of it. My two dogs have been ALL OVER ME lately and I am definitely the preferred cuddle buddy for them!

Suzy and Stuart attached for tax!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @DressageDarling I LOVE Bernese mountain dogs! I had a dog growing up who was a Berner/lab mix and we got a purebred Berner in my last year of high school. She was an amazing dog.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• @k2k2tog They are such great dogs! This is my second one. I just wish their health issues were less expensive! 
  • Anyone who posts pics of their doggos gets automatic love tits from me. Like in any context. All the dog pix thnx. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Last time my older Golden was obviously aware and super attached to me when I was pregnant. This time the younger one seems to know something is going on. They are both obsessed with our 19 month ds so I’m excited to see what they think of having two babies to snuggle. 
  • Yep...my 5 month old Boxer was *obsessed* with me for weeks #3-5. He has just now stopped insisting laying on top of me every single time I sit down. DH’s old dog either hasn’t noticed or doesn’t care (she hates me.)
  • That's exciting to hear the extra attentiveness might be on the way. Not sure if I've noticed a difference in my pup....but I wanted to post his pic. Not sure if the pic will show up full size, the pic I attached in my intro showed up tiny...here goes nothing! 
  • My dogs didn't notice I was pregnant with DD and they haven't been any different with this pregnancy either. One of my dogs was obsessed with her when she came home with the hospital, though. And now that she's a big bruiser toddler, the same dog runs away from her.  :D
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• poshspice said:
    My dogs didn't notice I was pregnant with DD and they haven't been any different with this pregnancy either. One of my dogs was obsessed with her when she came home with the hospital, though. And now that she's a big bruiser toddler, the same dog runs away from her.  :D
    My dog also didn't notice and the same thing happens to her now. She doesnt like DS as much now that he is mobile 🤣
  • @poshspice @ibanezstarburst Same here! I was waiting for all this extra attention, but he just carried about his normal business. He is finally getting less jittery around DD now that we’ve been working on “petting” instead of slapping haha. I can’t wait to see them interact as she gets older. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 🤣 at the "petting instead of slapping" DS likes to pull her hair. Poor thing. We try to keep a very vigilant eye but hes so fast and sneaky. The poor dog just sits there and takes it she doesnt even try to get away.
  • So as I was vomiting the other day, but cat came over and say on my knees for a while. It was so cute! She definitely knows
     That i don't feel good and that something is different. My dog is clueless and will probably remain clueless lol
  • My cats have been way more needy since I've become pregnant and my one cat is regurgitating now out of nowhere (lovely)
  • Does anyone have any experience with a pet undergoing chemotherapy?  Our 2 year old dog has been diagnosed with cancer and I am also 7+ weeks pregnant.   We want to give our dog the best possible treatment and chance at a longer life but obviously I am concerned with the risks involved.   Such a heartbreaking decision to make during what is supposed to be a happy time for us.  
  • @sheenabear22 No advice, but I’m sorry you’re having to go through that. 
  • @msb615 thank you.. I never thought I'd be in this situation.  We see our pets as family and my 6 yr old son calls our dog his "brother" so if it's possible to give him chemo and keep baby safe then that would be our choice.   I see my doctor next week but thought I'd ask here too.  
  • @Sheenabear22 I don't have experience with pets and chemo but if you do decide to go that route with your pup be extra careful while you are pregnant. I am assuming the drugs used can have the same nasty side effects as the human version. A family friend was diagnosed with cancer the day after we found out about my pregnancy and I have not been allowed to visit her because of the possible side effects from her chemo (just precaution). Not saying not to treat your dog, I totally would for mine, but just also be careful and ask all the questions to be safe.

• @sheenabear22 - so sorry to hear that :( I lost my cat the day I got my BFP. I was so happy to get a positive test and then I was getting ready to leave the house and found her collapsed on the floor. It was really hard to say goodbye to my kitty. But she was really old and sick, and I knew she wouldn't have a chance to survive so we put her down. It's very sad that your dog is only 2 and going through cancer. If the vet can treat him and give him a good prognosis I hope you get the okay from your OBGYN! Chemotherapy is oral now much of the time so I can't imagine the dog's treatment would impact your pregnancy but it definitely is a good idea to ask.
  • Our girl Stella is up my butt all the time now! She used to go around the room waiting for pets from each person but now she is on my lap or strewn accross my belly and falls asleep on me constantly. **sigh** It's stinking cute until I need to pee! Which is every five minutes...

• @sheenabear22 That's a tough one because of their age. We had a dog who was 8 and had developed cancer in an area where it was inoperable. We spoke with the vet and they said it would be maybe another 6 months and the quality of life would be very very low. With that being said, your dog is much younger and the cancer our dog had was very aggressive and would need a ton of chemo to keep it under control. I would ask the vet how long they could live and could they still live a "normal" life on the chemo meds they'll have to take. 
  • Thank you everyone!   I will definitely be speaking with my OB about safety.   Unfortunately my dog's cancer is not curable, but chemo would extend his life.  He is otherwise a normal, happy dog who does not know how sick he really is..  We love him so much and at 2 years old this all came as quite the shock to us.  Just not ready to give up on him, but of course don't want to do harm to my developing baby... I appreciate the kind words.  
  • @sheenabear22 I’m so sorry to hear about your dog! I don’t have much advice but I have heard from several people that have experienced it with their dogs that dogs typically have a much easier time handling chemo than humans, if that helps at all. 
  • zuuls_mom said:
    Per you request @sleepy33. Any chance to post my fave pic of our Walter. I have no shame. 

No automatic alt text available 
    HAHA he's so cute. That hair!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @sheenabear22 - 2 years is not nearly long enough for a pet :( I'm so sorry. I've lost beloved young pets before and it is quite a tragedy. One got hit by a car - he was my favorite cat. Another got taken by a coyote. I never let my cats outside anymore. I hope you can extend his life a little more and keep him happy!
  • Ok so my cat was totally oblivious. But something changed this weeked.

Saturday she kept crying and crying. She didn't need water or food and wasn't in heat. I eventually realized she was only crying at me and no one else. Sunday she went from crying at me to following me room to room and jumping on me each time I sat down. Last time she jumped on me she stood up on my lap and had one paw on each of my shoulders an was jur purring at me.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• When I first started this thread, I was all "Oh how cute the dog wants to hang around me all the time!"

Fuck that right off.

Dog has graduated to sleeping on top of me. Not just with her head delicately draped over my middle, as before. No, I woke up 2 nights ago when she straight up sat her 65 pound ass on my head, and then no matter how I rolled she wouldn't stay off me. She would sit on me and lay across me with all her body weight no matter where I went and what position I rolled into.

I'm really bad at telling the dog to screw off when I'm half asleep. Usually my husband eventually wakes up from our nonsense and makes the dog go away, but he slept through it this time and in my half-sleep stupor I just kept begging the dog to let me sleep and trying to roll away. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers