April 2019 Moms

Stretch marks

I hope it's okay to start a new thread, I didn't think this is technically a healthy habit..
But okay. Stretch marks ladies. What's your go to prevention/remedy?

Re: Stretch marks

• Just use belly butter to stop the itching and don’t expect anything to work miracles.  If you’re going to get stretch marks I don’t really think anything can stop it.  I used belly butter regularly early on and then it became pretty sporadic, but most of me was still spared.  Unfortunately the underside of my boobs did not make it out unscathed, but I’m too old for this new underboob cleavage trend anyway so no real harm done.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I remember right stretch marks are genetic and have to do with skin elasticity. Moisturizing will help with the itching and some vitamin e oil might lessen them afterwards but nothing will prevent them. 

this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I’ve used Burt’s Bees Momma Butter for all my pregnancies. Yes it’s mostly genetic but keeping moisturized helps. I had no stretch marks with my first and a few on my sides the second time. I started using Bio Oil this time and  I’ve noticed (DH noticed too) that my old stretch marks have already started to fade after only 3 weeks! So I’m going to try that this time.
    i will say its a lot easier to remember and to have time to put it on the first pregnancy lol. I did it every day with my first and now it’s like maybe 3 times a week if I’m lucky
  • Acceptance was all I could do for my stretch marks. Though I'm very prone to getting them.
  • Thanks you guys! People are pretty split on whether you can prevent or not so I included it! But these are great suggestions! 
  • I liked cocoa butter lotion. It helped with the itch. This is #2 for me so I’m curious as to what will happen with my stretch marks and if I will get many more. 
  • With DD, I used BioOil and was stretchmark free for 38 weeks. I got a few just days before she was born. Probably unavoidable. I'm OK with it. I'll be using BioOil again.
  • It won’t prevent stretch marks. But for moisturizing I’m on team Shea Butter. 
  • Some people get them and some people don’t. I moisturized everyday with oil and some expensive stretch mark cream and I’m still covered in them. I’ve just learned to love them. 
  • I'll echo what others have said about it being genetic, but I have to say bio oil really soothed my skin and certainly couldn't have hurt the skin situation when I was pregnant with DD3. I also used Palmers Coco butter. DD3 (Addison) was very low for the last 3 months of my pregnancy and it felt like my belly was being held to a fire at times. I used bio oil like it was my job. I had stretch Mark's already from when I gained and lost 30lbs one year and I didn't get any new ones with that pregnancy so I definitely think it helped.
  • I used mother’s special blend skin toning oil everyday after getting out of the shower last time and ended up stretch mark free after that pregnancy but how much of that was due to the oil and how much was genetics I have no idea 
  • That's a new one I hadn't heard of, @jmesue1030, I'll try it!
    I don't really mind terribly the way they look but I hate the burning/itching sensation. So far I've only got two on my thighs
  • I used belly butter. 

Your best bet is to ask your mom if she has them. If you do, you’re probably SOL!
  • I'm also unsure if it helped or was just genetic, but I used Palmers shea/cocoa butter for stretch marks all through my first pregnancy and only got one stretch mark under my belly button.  I'm prone to stretch marks (my thighs, butt, and boobs all had them already just from puberty), so I'm not sure if the lotion helped or if I lucked out.  I'm trying to remember to use it this time as well, but I also think it has to do with how rapidly your bump grows.  A steady rate of weight gain/bump size could help reduce stretch marks since your skin has more time to be elastic and do it's thing.  Just my opinion though, not sure of any science behind it :smile:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kaleesi93kaleesi93 member
    edited September 2018
    @beautifulriot coconut oil is magical for everything I swear  <3
    @kangstadt I hear amazing things about palmers and I remember my moms midwife carried their line, so I just put it in my target cart!
    @mrstmoose
    It's just a conversation I haven't seen around and I wanted ideas, I'm not upset to have them at all, my mom had them only with her twins which she carried past term.
    I've still got some from puberty and they're fine! 
  • Last pregnancy I used Burts Bees belly butter and coconut oil. I only ended up getting a couple on my sides. I also ate a lot of healthy fats which I think can help with skins elasticity. 
  • I know everyone praises coconut oil, but it’s actually extremely comedogenic. Us esties never ever recommend it. The molecules are also too large to even penetrate the skin so it just sits on top rather than absorbing and becoming beneficial. There are so many better oils out there like jojoba, rosehip, sweet almond, and apricot. 
  • My mother and my sister both have many stretch marks from pregnancies. I used Bio Oil every single day through both of my previous pregnancies (from about 12 weeks on) and I have a total of about 5 faint stretch marks on my sides.. so I will definitely be using again. I don’t know if it was all in the oil.. but I am a believer!