April 2019 Moms

weight gain

I think I’ve already gained about 4 lbs and I’m only 6.5 weeks! I’m worried because I know you’re not supposed to gain hardly anything in the first trimester. I’m so exhausted and nauseous that I have done zero exercise and just want to eat lots of bread. I feel so blah, anyone else? Hoping for an energetic 2nd trimester! 

Re: weight gain

• Don't worry about it.  With my first I didn't start gaining until late 2nd/early 3rd tri.  I had friends that gained steadily their entire pregnancy.  You may not gain towards the end or lose, which is also normal.  Eat what you can when you can, take your vitamins, and babe will be fine.  Your doctor will tell you of your weight gain is too much.  
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• @LeighLa7 I gained really quickly during my first pregnancy too.  I was active and watching what I ate, but the pounds packed on.  When I brought it up to my doctor, she said "Everyone's body responds to pregnancy hormones differently - this might just be yours!"

Currently, I'm 5 + 6 and haven't gained any weight yet, but I'm being as strict with myself as I can be.  For me, there's a thin line between eating healthy and "I'm pregnant, I deserve this ice cream and these cookies and these donuts and - " so I've been forcing myself to eat lots of small meals that are full of protein and vegetables even when what I want are carbs and chocolate and carbs.  I gained 46 pounds my last pregnancy, and while the first 24 came off in two weeks, the rest were a struggle that really impacted my self esteem.  Trying to make good choices now to avoid feeling crummy about myself later.

That all said, you should check out our fitness/healthy pregnancy thread!  It's fully of people who are supporting each other in making healthy choices.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you don't go into this with the mindset that you are "eating for two" right away, then you'll be fine. It becomes a problem when you start eating two Big Mac's when you're 8 weeks pregnant and justify it that you're "eating for two" that you are going to gain 65 pounds. Follow your gut and you'll be fine.

For what it's worth, I gained 14 pounds in the first two trimesters with DD and then 26 pounds in the 3rd trimester; most of it water weight (I was extremely swollen). About 2 weeks after I gave birth, I had lost most of it (and have since gained 15 pounds). It happens. Be kind to yourself but don't gorge yourself either.
  • Thanks so much! I’ll definitely check out the fitness thread. My problem right now is that I get super hungry a few hours after dinner and I feel like I need cheese and bread so I can go to sleep.. haha I’m trying not to think that I’m eating for two, but my body is telling me otherwise. I’m ready to start craving salads again