April 2019 Moms

Scheduled ultrasound at 5 weeks 5 days

so I have a past history of ectopic pregnancy. Since then i have had a successful pregnancy. But, they always check me at 6 weeks ultrasound wise to confirm that the baby is indeed in the correct location. Well the office was booked on me being 6 weeks and 5 weeks 6 days so they scheduled me for 5 weeks 5 days. I’m scared to death to go in and not see a heart beat. They normally start at 6 weeks. I’m wondering if this will do more harm than good.

Re: Scheduled ultrasound at 5 weeks 5 days

• Hey @cmharrelson! I just had an ultrasound at 5+6ish and saw only a sac - no heartbeat yet. The doctor and tech both wanted to make sure it didn’t freak me out, but as you pointed out, we wouldn’t expect to hear a heartbeat right now. For you, it’s just confirming that the baby is in the right position, which you’ll definitely be able to tell.

can you talk to the schedulers about maybe switching the appointment to 6+1 or 6+2? I don’t think the few days would make a huge difference in treating an ectopic, if it is, and it might significantly ease your mind.

you might also find a bunch of ladies who understand your experience in the PGAL threads!
  • cmharrelsoncmharrelson member
    edited August 2018
    @lyse01 6 weeks for me would be next Friday. I can’t go on weekend becaus they are close. So I go next Wednesday. We have a planned vacation for the next week so I would be able to be seen until 7 weeks 3ish days. I should have added that to the post. They don’t want me going out of town unless I am making sure the baby is placed properly. And apparently 7 weeks is too long to wait and make sure. I’ve read where some moms see a heartbeat and other don’t. So I guess it’s all up in the air. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, that is definitely a bit early! And if your dates are off even by a day or so that can make a big difference at that point! Just keep that in mind and hopefully if they don't see what you are looking for that will have you go back in a week or so! The waiting is SO hard! <3 hang in there!!

FWIW I went in thinking I was a little past 7 weeks and my ultrasound had me at 5 weeks 6 days and we were able to see a heartbeat. She said if I had been there even the day before we very well may not have seen it and I'm sure I would have been a hot freaking mess. Dating is so unpredictable that it's just so hard to know what to expect!
  • I have an US scheduled for Wednesday and I'm somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks. I'm not expecting to see a heartbeat yet but I bet it will be pretty nervewracking. I think my doc scheduled this US because I have a high BMI, making this a high risk pregnancy. Fingers crossed all goes well!