Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Basal Thermometers

Hi ladies- I am not new to the TTC journey, was very active on these boards in 2015.  I've recently decided to start temping again, and picked up a new thermometer at Target.....forgetting some of the challenges of temping with my purchase until I've come across them.....like it's 5:30 AM and I REALLY don't want to get out of bed- but I can't see the frickin temp I just took- and I had to pee- which forced me out of bed.....I'm wanting to get another thermometer with a backlight and memory recall for the last temp taken, because you know- if you forget what it was before you can record it......I went on Amazon and saw quite a few options, which i don't recall being around previously.  Back in 2015- lots of women were using the Mabis thermometers, even though there was no backlight.  Looking on Amazon this AM- there are a few thermometers that will sync with an app- not the fertility friend app, which was the most used app when I was very active in 2015.  What is everyone using these days?  Spending the money for the thermometers that sync with the apps?? Also, in some of the pictures on some of the thermometers, the women are taking their temps orally......are people doing that? Or vaginally? I thought vaginal temping was more accurate?? I can't remember what the general consensus was in 2015.  I'm WTO- but not really heavily active in the TTC part of things- which is why I started a separate thread.....Thanks!!

Re: Basal Thermometers

• Options
    Hey MNturnsVA, Welcome! I'm sure a lot has changed since 2015, so you may want to start with reading: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12685680/the-ultimate-ttgp-guide-newbies-read-this-first#latest
    Also, please introduce yourself here: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12732259/newbie-intro-thread-w-o-07-30#latest
    With this being such a large group, we discourage one-off posts. So I'd repost your question here: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12732503/chart-stalk-questions-august#latest

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    MNturnsVA said:
    Hi ladies- I am not new to the TTC journey, was very active on these boards in 2015.  I've recently decided to start temping again, and picked up a new thermometer at Target.....forgetting some of the challenges of temping with my purchase until I've come across them.....like it's 5:30 AM and I REALLY don't want to get out of bed- but I can't see the frickin temp I just took- and I had to pee- which forced me out of bed.....I'm wanting to get another thermometer with a backlight and memory recall for the last temp taken, because you know- if you forget what it was before you can record it......I went on Amazon and saw quite a few options, which i don't recall being around previously.  Back in 2015- lots of women were using the Mabis thermometers, even though there was no backlight.  Looking on Amazon this AM- there are a few thermometers that will sync with an app- not the fertility friend app, which was the most used app when I was very active in 2015.  What is everyone using these days?  Spending the money for the thermometers that sync with the apps?? Also, in some of the pictures on some of the thermometers, the women are taking their temps orally......are people doing that? Or vaginally? I thought vaginal temping was more accurate?? I can't remember what the general consensus was in 2015.  I'm WTO- but not really heavily active in the TTC part of things- which is why I started a separate thread.....Thanks!!
    @MNturnsVA This would have gone perfectly in our chart stalk/questions thread here.

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies- I did do an intro on the 7/30 intro thread.
    and i completely understand that there are other areas that could be more appropriate to put these things- but I'm not overly active on the boards at the moment- like I check in once a week or so.  And, I feel that sometimes these questions get lost in the shuffle of those other threads that have SO many other topics/questions in them.....at least that was my experience from the past.

• Options
    lulu1180lulu1180 member
    edited August 2018
    MNturnsVA said:
    Thanks for the replies ladies- I did do an intro on the 7/30 intro thread.
    and i completely understand that there are other areas that could be more appropriate to put these things- but I'm not overly active on the boards at the moment- like I check in once a week or so.  And, I feel that sometimes these questions get lost in the shuffle of those other threads that have SO many other topics/questions in them.....at least that was my experience from the past.

@MNturnsVA I understand that but that doesn't mean that it's ok to do a one-off post, especially for a question that asked fairly often.  The best way to get the answer you're looking for is to post where @dpjennifer and I directed you.  If everyone posted their own thread for a question like this, the board would quickly get cluttered and the posts with people looking for support would get pushed down

ETA I saw that you posted in the questions thread after I posted there, I appreciate you taking our advice

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    Or that people don't really check them AS regularly as they check the WTO threads or the TWW threads.....Not intended to disrupt the community aspect.....just looking for more feedback from people who are very active and have been actively TTC because those are the people that have the best info and experiences to share.
    @lulu1180
    @dpjennifer
  • Options
    @MNturnsVA The questions thread actually gets a lot more responses than questions asked in the WTO or TWW threads.  We started that because it gets more visibility than a question on one of the daily posts.  Also, I saw you took our advice after I posted above.

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    @virginiaham- thank you.  I appreciate the insight here, and would also say that I did not think to do a search on the topic.  But will agree that because this particular topic is a pretty common one- or one that a newbie would maybe also want some insight on, I did not see the harm in starting a separate thread for it.  I do understand the other's comments about how the boards get clogged with some of the other really random questions- but i do see how this could be something that would be very helpful to many, especially if there was a thread dedicated to it specifically.

• Options
    @virginiaham I understand what you're saying and yes, it does kind of make sense.  But you and I both know that the search function is almost never used for something like this.  Not to mention, thermometers and the recommendations are going to change as technologies change.  Like OP mentioned above, when she was TTC #1, there weren't the more advanced thermometers that sync with an app and the Ava bracelet certainly wasn't around (not that I'm aware of at least).  So while this is an oft discussed topic, I'm not sure putting it in its own thread would solve the issue.

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    @lulu1180 oh girl totally, I’m under no illusion about the search function actually being used, and that’s actually not what I’m talking about.  It’s not gonna get used more, but it’s not really even useful in this case for those of us that know about it and don’t want to clog the board or a thread with a question we KNOW is being asked a bunch. I’m just saying, rather than answer the same question a hundred times in the CS/Questions thread, when it comes up point people to a dedicated, for example, BBT thread as a central answer bank for all the simple repeat questions that clog the thread, which I think is the end to which a lot of the established rules right now strive.  The idea isn’t for a thread that is perfect and relevant for all of TTGP time, but one that will be a good resource for us now in 2018 and it can be ditched when it’s outdated.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    @virginiaham So you're not necessarily talking about a thread about just thermometers but the various questions that vets or long time regs have seen time and again regarding BBT tracking and any tips that we can offer.  Then, when a question comes up, instead of typing out the same answer for the umpteenth time, just post the link to the BBT question thread?

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    dpjenniferdpjennifer member
    edited August 2018
    So we can type all of the answers, all in one place where no one will search for it anyway. Then we can point someone, who couldn't even bother to search the recent results of their question in the first place, to all of the information held in that place, irregardless of whether it's even currently relevant or not?

Or am I just too #BitterHagPartyOf1 for this today?

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    @lulu1180 yeah, exactly.  There will still be questions that belong in the CS/Q’s thread (like, can you look at my chart and tell me if you think my BBT is favoring temps? Or, I have XYZ weird schedule, could you ladies help me figure out when is the best time for me to temp?).  But more a dedicated thread for the repeat questions where the answer that is given doesn’t really change.

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    @lulu1180
    @dpjennifer
    I present exhibit A- which I think that Virginiaham is also trying to reference and say as her example (and please correct me if i am wrong @virginiaham) but on August 5th- there was a whole separate post about whether or not OPK's and temping were necessary.  One person on that thread mentioned to the OP that her question could have also been addressed elsewhere. There were 7 other members who had helpful responses to the OP. I believe this is similar to what @virginiaham was referring too.

• Options
    @dpjennifer - I respect and do appreciate the feedback, and do agree, that one of the reasons that people are participating in these boards is to have some feedback and common ground with others going through the same thing. I guess to me, that makes it even more of a reason that if there has been one thread started specifically for temping questions- you can reference that.  As i mentioned above, the thread started on 8/5 about OPK's and temping got lots of constructive and positive feedback. I don't know if it was an "admin" (are there admins? I don't remember) did very nicely tell the OP that it *could* have been addressed in another fashion- but then there were also 5-6 other replies that answered the OP's question. What's the point in asking a question if you aren't going to get an answer?? Even if the answer was to read taking charge of your fertility- that answer, is better than no answer at all.

• Options
    @dpjennifer yeah that’s a really good point.  I guess I meant more like have a dedicated “AMA (ask me anything) BBT/temping” thread and those coming after us could be referred there to find the answers we asked about.  Not like we write out all the info like the newbie thread but an actual q&a thread on that specific topic.  Similar to what you are saying, I’ve found it helpful to read the way others have worded questions and the specific answers they got because of that, if that makes sense.  Eventually all of the common questions are going to get asked, and a new answer with brand new info may be added.  But somewhere to capture the basic repeat questions that end up getting answered a thousand times in the CS/Q’s thread.  Nothing new will fix everything, there’s always going to be a percentage of newbies that want their personal google, but maybe it could be helpful for others.

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    understood.....

• Options
    suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited August 2018
    I'm confused. Is the idea to create a bbt roundup thread with all things related to brands of thermometers or a question and answer thread about anything fertility related?

I agree that could be helpful to the ladies here who are already here, but I don't think it would cut down on one off posts because a lot of women join with the attention span of a puppy and just want rainbows and butterflies thrown at them when they share their story in a one off post. When they don't get that, we are seen as mean (not including this op). 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    Kind of new here, but, I also don't think another dedicated post pinned at the top would be helpful. As others have already said, people (most) don't bother to read them, hence why the rules and thread links to appropriate places to post have to be posted on these one off posts every time. They want their questions answered without the work/effort of searching or joining a community and getting/giving support. Those people need Google, not a forum. 

Unfortunately, there will always be one-off posts. One person should answer, leaving the appropriate "please read the newbie thread and become a part of the community" response and the rest of us should not give it any attention, so its seen that that is the standard response and you won't get your questions answered without going about them correctly.

Too harsh? Maybe, but then again, I was someone who actually read the newbies pinned post and felt the vibe of the board before jumping in. It wasn't difficult, plus I know how to use search functions and Google...soooo...
  • Options
    I should clarify I never meant this as a solution specifically to stop one-off posts. THAT, I really don’t have a solution for. Just to make discussion/answers to these frequently asked topic-specific questions (BBT/temping in this case) more accessible, exactly in the setup how @lulu1180 described. That way people can see if someone else has asked the same question and if not, they can ask their questions directly there. (Totally, @MNturnsVA, whether temping/OPKs are even necessary would be a perfect question to direct to an AMA thread like that.)

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    @lulu1180 Thanks for clarifying. I tried to follow along in the beginning but my brain gave up.

@virginiaham Great, do you want to create the post to link in there? 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• Options
    @suzycupcake We were still discussing it among the board regulars before moving forward and starting the post.  

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    So basically we are thinking about splitting up the Chart Stalker/Questions thread into Chart Stalker thread and Questions thread? I think most of the questions about thermometers and the like, could go into the CS/Q thread and I don't mind answering them over and over again because I might change which one I like.
  • Options
    @marebear15 No, there would be a thread created where those of us who have been around the block could list the questions and subsequent answers to typical temping questions; such as I woke up in the middle of the night, took my temp then woke up for the day and it was different, which temp do I use?; Or Which is better to go by same time every day or 3 hours of sleep?  That's more the kind of thread that would be created where the answers given wouldn't usually change over time.  Then we could put a link in the CS/Q thread to that thread so that people can see if the question is answered there before posting in the CS/Q.  As I stated above, I think it's something that could work but only under the assumption that someone would actually click the link before posting.   

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    @lulu1180 - Ah gotcha. So basically a FAQs for TTC. I like it!
  • Options
    @dpjennifer I'd be down to do that too and yassss to realistic pessimism. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Options
    Since nothing seems completely resolved from this thread, I can create a poll to gauge interest in how/if people want to make any changes that we discussed above.  The choices as I can remember are below, if there's anything I forget let me know.  I'll wait to start the poll until tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.

1. Leave everything as is, do a weekly/monthly CS/Q thread as we've been doing for some time now
    2. Leave the CS/Q thread as is but do a AMA (Ask Me Anything) thread in addition to that
    3. Do a temping FAQ thread and link it in the weekly/monthly CS/Q thread to try and reduce the same questions being asked and answered repeatedly

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    Personally, I'm not sure how "AMA" is any different than just "questions", haha. And if we start a weekly temping thread, we'll need an OPK thread to go with it. (If You Give a Moose a Muffin, anyone?) Not that these are bad things necessarily, just food for thought :) And @lulu1180 poll is a great idea!
  • Options
    @Swiftlet Oh, the temping thread wouldn't be weekly!  It would be a one-time temping FAQs based on what us long-time regs have heard over and over and then linked on the CS/Q thread.

@dpjennifer Can you give any ideas on how we could keep the normal questions thread and the AMA separate?  Or examples of how they'd be different?

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • Options
    jhems776jhems776 member
    edited August 2018
    Not to bump this again, just wanted to wave @MNturnsVA! Hey I remember you from 2015, hope all is great!
  • Options
    SwiftletSwiftlet member
    edited August 2018
    @lulu1180 Ooh, I gotcha now.