Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D and C

I went to the doctor today at 10 weeks and they couldn't find a heartbeat. This is my second miscarriage. Like last time, the doctor makes it sounds like the only option is a D and C. How come they don't present the natural way as even an alternative? Is there a reason they always insist on D and Cs? I worry if I have too many it'll effect future pregnancies.

Re: D and C

• My first MC I had a D&C with no other options. It was presented that way to me because it was a suspected molar PG so they had to test the fetal tissue. The others I was super early on and MC naturally. You really need to discuss this with your doctor. You may be having specific circumstances that are causing them to present a D&C as the best/only option each time. Or they may have learned from their patients that most prefer a D&C. I would discuss it with your OB-GYN and bring up natural MC as an option and see if it's an actual option for you.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• It depends the circumstances with the miscarriage if a d&C is best.   But unfortunately, some doctor's do push for d&C's for monetary reasons. 
    With my first loss, I was 14 weeks. My doctor did give me the option to try to naturally miscarry, but strongly suggested a d&c for several ressonr, such as blood loss, trauma, and not being aware of how soon my body would take to miscarry.

With my second loss, at 7 weeks, I had a fetal pole and sack neasurime 7 weeks, but no heartbeat, and 8 weeks, still no heartbeat, but everything was shrinking.  He again, gave me the options for a d&c vs natural miscarriage, but this time pushed for a natural miscarriage. Reasons included that nothing would look like a baby, there was blood in my cervix, so it looked like the physical act of the  miscarriage was starting, and it is generally better to not have an unnecessary d&c for your cervix.  Unfortunately, mine was a molar pregnancy, and 2 weeks later I had not miscarried, and couldn't take the emotional aspects of carrying around my dead baby and becoming visibly pregnant any longer. ( Because it was an unknown molar at this time, I wasn't pushed for surgery and I was "showing" early because I was bigger than I should have been.) In the end, I had 2 d&C's.
    Honestly, I am scared about having two d&C's last year and how that has affected my cervix.  I bleed plenty with periods, so I am not concerned about asherman's syndrome.  But I do worry if my cervix is weak.