December 2018 Moms

What I Wish I Would Have Known...

Stolen again from January because I don't have an original thought on my own  :D

STM + what are things you wish you would have known prior to giving birth

Re: What I Wish I Would Have Known...

• LLynde5 said:
    ....and if I would have known all of the thing that happen I would have adopted.  
    Lol! For real though. That’s kind of what I was thinking. I’m not sure how much I wish I knew. Ignorance might be bliss in this instance. I wish I would have known the positive stuff. That dd would be able to sleep in a thing instead of on me after about a week (not after forever). That I would start getting more than two hours of sleep relatively quickly. That four hours of sleep and two cups of coffee means you’re golden. 
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a c-section & the next morning my feet/ankles were swollen up like balloons. I had no idea this happens. I was like "nurse- something's wrong!"
  • @katy0990 big hugs ❤️

Pretty much everything you ladies said. Though now I think I'll go read up on c-sections just in case it happens this time around, I never thought to do that either @katy0990.

I honestly can't think of anything to add at the moment, I'll come back if I do.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• katy0990katy0990 member
    edited August 2018
    @Whitmore1027 Your induction sounds just like mine! Induction due to polyhydramnios, 4 internal monitors, cervadil, a folly bulb, pitocin kicked up to 16, 40 hours of labor, and 27 hours of my water being broken and then a c-section. I finally made it to a 7 after being stuck at 4 for over 24 hours, but my cervix started to swell, so I was going backward (I wish I had known that could happen). I hope this time is much smoother for both of us!

@CecilB93  I highly recommend asking your doctor about their policies, just so you would know what to expect. If you were to need a C-section, would your husband be able to be with you the entire time? Would you be able to hold your baby/do skin to skin while they sew you up? Would they use stitches or staples to close? How long do the restrict your driving and lifting for?
  • ActivebabyActivebaby member
    edited August 2018
    Yes @snugglyduckling25 I had no idea I would look so pregnant leaving the hospital or that I wouldn’t magically weigh less (which is why by baby 3 I’m staying active during pregnancy). And yes the cramping while nursing! I had no idea. It makes sense because your uterus had to shrink since the baby is out, but I had never thought about that. 
    Also i didn’t realize how much I’d forget and romanticize. I wish I had saved my birth stories I wrote and shared in my Bmb. 
  • For c section moms... Percocet is a wonderful thing but stock up on prune juice for the “side effects” :-)
  • @snugglyduckling25 Oh yes, the swelling! I knew I wouldn’t magically fit into pre-pregnancy stuff immediately (yay 50-lb gain) but I was very annoyed that my hands and ankles didn’t lose all their fatness immediately. 

@Activebaby I’m definitely going to write out my birth story ASAP this time around! I’m so fuzzy on all the details of my son’s birth. Then again, I didn’t really want to remember it at the time. :cry:
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @tunnel oh yes - I forgot about the fact that’s I didn’t really get out of bed with my first! The second time around I got out of bed much quicker, showered and felt more like me. The twins birth was way easier than DS1 though - so that could also have something to do with me feeling like getting out of bed. But I will make myself get up and shower because that makes a world of a difference in how I feel. 
  • Also, most importantly, I wish I had known how much I would ADORE parenting after 1 year, and how much easier things got for me at 6 months. Having that knowledge would've made the tough (for me) newborn phase so much more tolerable.
    This speaks to my soul! Things got much easier around 6 months, so it gave me courage that I can get through all of this again knowing that there's light on the other side. <3

I wish I would've been more open to breaking the guidelines that SIL (LC) gave me. I was super open about how my labor went, but tried too hard to follow every little thing her or any other LC or nurse told me. Follow your gut.

Also, SERIOUSLY let your house be messy and stay in your comfy clothes with no makeup and unwashed hair. I did horrible with this & I think it's a nice gentle reminder that people need to be respectful of your time. MIL couldn't come around for 2 weeks due to being sick and when she did she stayed for 5 hours the first visit. I felt like I had to entertain her and I just don't totally relax with her. 
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @borgie05 Good for you for seeking out help. I hope the meds work. *hugs*
  • @katy0990 Thanks! I'm on day 4 and they can take a few weeks to kick in, but so far so good :) 
  • @borgie05 yes on taking pictures! I don't have many of me from the beginning because of my insecurities. 
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @katy0990 My goodness! That's crazy. It's so hard to really know what's going to happen. Everyone is just so different in their pregnancies and labors that you just can't know. I really relate to a lot of your comments too.
    Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• @gingersnap-mama Ooh I actually never thought about preemptively using nipple cream! I had a slow intro to BF because my son was in the NICU so in a way I was sort of lucky? The pressure to supply all his nutritional needs from the getgo wasn’t there since he was still being fed via NG tube between practice sessions. 

ANYWAY. It will be interesting to see if it’s painful the second time around. My mom says yes, ha.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon I'm curious if they'll hurt this time around too! I just stopped nursing my daughter at 23 months at the beginning of July so I'm curious what the 5 month break will do to there stamina!