March 2019 Moms

Pregnant Teacher Check In w/o 7-30

JLaVO888JLaVO888 member
edited July 2018 in March 2019 Moms
Hello fellow teachers!  I missed a week I think and I’m late starting it this week. (Anyone else that would ever like to start it is more than welcome!) 

Grade-

Years Teaching- 

First Day Back-

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- 

—————————————————————
Here are are a few GTKY questions for this week:

Thanks to your career, what are some names you will NEVER use for your own child?

What is the most unusual name you have ever seen? 

Do you have your class list(s) for this year yet? 

Re: Pregnant Teacher Check In w/o 7-30

• shrubshrub member
    Grade- 
    6/7 this year and French
    Years Teaching-  
    Eight
    First Day Back-
    August 30 without kids, Sept 4 with kids
    I begged to have my own classroom while still teaching French and now I'll be leaving for a year in March. Feeling bad about that because finding an LTO will be difficult.

Thanks to your career, what are some names you will NEVER use for your own child?
    Jackson, Riley, Hayleigh
    none come to mind right now but I babe seen some WILD spellings that drive me crazy
    Not officially but I have an idea because I was in the placement meetings

• Grade- 1st

Years Teaching- Heading into year 5

First Day Back- August 17th for me, August 23rd for the kids

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- Definitely worried about being pregnant and doing my best as a teacher. Also worried about maternity leave and having LT Sub

Thanks to your career, what are some names you will NEVER use for your own child? Kamden, Aidan, Hunter, Drew...there are so many! 

What is the most unusual name you have ever seen? I had a girl named Ugweth in my class last year. Pronounced yew-gweth

We got tentative class lists in June. I don’t think mine has changed at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Grade- 1st

Years Teaching- 6

First Day Back-  Aug. 7

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year-  I have a course I need to complete to get my TESOL endorsement that I should have had completed last year. I’m not sure if I will be able to take it due to mat leave.

—————————————————————

Thanks to your career, what are some names you will NEVER use for your own child?  Tyce, Troy, Michael, Zoey

What is the most unusual name you have ever seen?   Princess, Margarita, Tarsilius Cornelius 

Yes but it will change a million times between now and the second week of school. I don’t even write names on things until about the third day of school anymore.  
  • Hello fellow teachers!  I missed a week I think and I’m late starting it this week. (Anyone else that would ever like to start it is more than welcome!) 

Grade- 3-5 special education 

Years Teaching- 10

First Day Back- Aug 8 for sped teachers Aug 13 for all other teachers/staff and Aug 15 for kiddos 

Telling my bosses/co-workers I only started at this school last year so I’m a bit nervous about already taking a leave. We don’t have babysitting lined up for DS yet so I’m also a bit nervous about that.  

—————————————————————

Jackson 

I honestly can’t think of any right now but one name I loved that is a bit different is Corbin. 

Being sped I have a lot of the same kids I had last year so unless we have some move ins/outs I pretty much know all our kids. 
  • Grade- All. I’m the principal.  :o

Years Teaching- 15

First Day Back- We’re already back  :s

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- How will I do my job? When to go out on maternity leave? How will I keep up the energy needed to do this work? How do teachers do this?!

—————————————————————

Thanks to your career, what are some names you will NEVER use for your own child? All the normal run-of-the-mill names you see everyday. Plus Devin, because they’re always bad. 

What is the most unusual name you have ever seen?  Sooooo many haha! A whole family of Carl’s: Carl in first grade, Carl in third grade, no I’m talking about Carl in fourth grade. not his brother Carl in fifth grade. And the winner: a boy named Arejenil.  Pronounced “original”. Dear lord...

Do you have your class list(s) for this year yet? N/a
  • JLaVO888JLaVO888 member
    edited July 2018
    @keikilove They were ALL Carl? Not variations of Carl? How does a household function like that?  It could be brilliant though. When you ask Carl to take out the trash, your odds of it getting done increase significantly! 

ETA: Sorry you are already back!
  • Grade- Kindergarten

Years Teaching- 11 years

First Day Back-After labor day

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- I've never been pregnant to start a school year. September in Kindergarten in exhausting and I'm already exhausted. I hope I make it.

—————————————————————

Thanks to your career, what are some names you will NEVER use for your own child? Any if the aiden family-braiden, caiden, etc.

What is the most unusual name you have ever seen? I had a child whose name was Kenny last name but the family insisted he be called Caesar different last name.

I create my class so I already know but there are a few kids who registered late that we have to place.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I forgot I had a Tiger Lilly once. Tiger! 
  • Grade- 
    8th

Years Teaching-  
    This will be 7!

First Day Back
    August 7 without kids, August 9 with

My team and I convinced our principal to let us tweak our schedule. It sounds great in theory, but it removed our mid-morning break. I’m hoping we don’t regret it and have to grovel to switch back.

Malachi, Hayden

Mysteria, Troon

No, but I keep checking!
  • @keikilove YES to Devin and any variation.
  • @swanbrooner Malachi is a name I acctually really like. Never really met any though. 
  • @JLaVO888 It is a great name that will forever synonymous with my most challenging, but also very memorable student. 
  • Grade- 1st

Years Teaching- 12th year

First Day Back- August 29th for teachers and the day after Labor Day for the students 

Being nauseous and exhausted

—————————————————————

Luis, Isaac, and so many others!

Chryseis and Iyari

Yes I do! 

• These names had me laughing hard! @JLaVO888 Yes they were all Carl, and there were 5 boys in our elementary, I believe, and then there one sister. Shockingly, she wasn’t named Carla hahahahaha. I like your “take out the trash” idea.  Ha!

Also, I think you win with “Tarsilius Cornelius” lol!!! Mysteria & Chryseis are pretty amazing too. I hope it wasn’t pronounced like “crisis”. 

@Bonnesetter27  Agree w you 100%. The -aiden names were so cute...until EVERYONE started using them. 

Adding: I also had a few challenging kiddos named “Angel”, so I wouldn’t use that name even though the idea is sweet. 
  • Grade- 1st

Years Teaching- starting my 5th

First Day Back- Aug 20 for teachers, Aug 27 for students

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- Nausea, fatigue, irritability, maternity leave

—————————————————————

Jayden, but I'm with ya'll on anything in the -aidan family. 

What is the most unusual name you have ever seen? Knowledge, Prodigy

Not yet... it changes constantly anyhow in the beginning. 
  • Wow! 4 1st grade teachers! 
  • Grade-
    2nd, ESOL

Years Teaching- 

First Day Back-
    Teachers- August 20, Students - August 28

I’m supposed to be on summative evaluation this year, but since I’ll miss so much due to maternity leave I’m wondering if I’ll still have to be on evaluation this year. 

—————————————————————

Angel, Johnny

A lot of students have interesting names since parents will combine two family names or spell names differently than we would in English.  Nashley and Escarlex are two I’m remembering now. 

We made tentative class lists that I’ve seen, but I haven’t gone in depth getting to know my students yet. 

• Grade- 2nd

Years Teaching- this is year 8

First Day Back- August 17, kids start August 28

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- With DS I got really lucky and had a great class that I felt confident leaving with a sub.  It will be interesting to see what my class is like this year. And just trying to fit in appointments without using sick leave.

—————————————————————

Never would have used it anyway but Kayla

Journey

Nope, not until the middle of teacher week usually. And then it changes a lot through the first week of school and even more throughout the year. Our population is very mobile.
  • Grade- 5th

Years Teaching- 6 years

First Day Back- Aug. 27th

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- Bathroom breaks! I'm going to need a million!

————————————————
    Bella, Liam, or anything in the "Aiden" family

Miracle & Jeronimo

Yes! Really hoping there were no summer changes!

• Grade- 5th

Years Teaching- 17 (every time I write that, I feel very, very old.)

First Day Back- 8/27 for teachers, 9/4 for kids

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- Biggest worry is that we may be moving buildings mid-year. Not sure how this will go...

Here's a question I just thought of: I usually get the children of teachers at my school in my class. For this upcoming year, I'll have 2 for sure and potentially one more. I'm not planning on telling everyone about my pregnancy right away when we go back, but is the fact I'll be on leave from March through the end of the year in mid-June something I should discuss with my co-worker parents right away? This never even occurred to me until right now!

—————————————————————

Ruben, Oscar

I honestly can't think of anything too unusual!

Not officially, but I can see it in the online grade book system. I'm sure it'll change.
  • @shadylane18 I don’t see any reason why I would tell my coworker parents any sooner than the rest. If you are really close to them you could if you wanted to. They request you becuase they know you are a good teacher. I would still want my child in a great teacher’s class even if she/he was going to be gone for a few months. 
  • Thanks @JLaVO888! That's kind of what I was thinking, but thought I'd throw it out there. I will be there for the majority of the year and, selfishly, they're all really nice kids that I don't want to give up!
  • @shadylane18 also if your school is anything like mine, changing kids from one class to another isn’t an easy endeavor. There are so many factors that come into play when class building that it’s probably easiest to just keep them in your class! Try not to feel bad about it, but I understand where you’re coming from. 

• Grade-7/8 math

Years Teaching- 10 yikes!

First Day Back-9/4

Questions/Worries/Concerns about this year- I have to pee so much and my classroom is nowhere near a bathroom! Also hoping the morning sickness is gone when school starts!
  • Grade-
    Preschool special education 
    Years Teaching- 

First Day Back-
    August 27
    Hitters/kickers and runners! 

Levi, landon, claire 

nothing too unusual, the different ones are the ones that have strange spelling like Bequi for Becky.

Yes! We made them in June